CEO Stands Down

Fraz

For what it’s worth I think the position needs either someone with a previous connection - like a Billy Urq or Jags equivalent - or someone with a far greater business experience and networked to fill the role.  I don’t doubt that she did her utmost and was committed to the post, but with a background in PR and a reasonable unknown in terms of football and local business, I think it was too big for her?  Anyway, wish her all the best for the future and I’m sure the back room team can pick up the slack meantime.

A Caley/Thistle or ICT connection is irrelevant IMHO. Business acumen and the ability to find, develop and maintain meaningful relationships that generate revenue or further the reach of ICT is far more important.  I actually question whether this position is required or not. A club of our meagre resources may not be able to sustain that expense. Depending on which former chairman you speak with, it is seen as either a good idea or it is something that can be done by some combination of sales staff and directors thereby saving a significant yearly salary.  

I have no idea how she performed on a day to day basis as my only dealings with Ms Crook were on email - when she chose to respond - and based on those interactions I personally do not have a positive opinion on her presence at the club. These were not fan or CTO communications, they were business related ones, and to ignore people who are not only service providers but also sponsors, customers and shareholders is bad business.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

One less overhead to claim expenses. For someone with a background in PR this has been an area of the club that over the short term has been a shambles and the relationship between club and fans has never felt bigger - negative stories and second hand info regularly appearing and it seems a club unable to take advantage of situations to put positive spin on them and gain profitable advantage.

16 minutes ago, The Long Man said:

I believe she was a great advocate of social media for increased profile of the club and engagement of sponsors and fans. i shall leave you to judge whether that was effective.

There was a decrease on Twitter of information apart from match day commentary. 

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

A Caley/Thistle or ICT connection is irrelevant IMHO. Business acumen and the ability to find, develop and maintain meaningful relationships that generate revenue or further the reach of ICT is far more important.  I actually question whether this position is required or not. A club of our meagre resources may not be able to sustain that expense. Depending on which former chairman you speak with, it is seen as either a good idea or it is something that can be done by some combination of sales staff and directors thereby saving a significant yearly salary.  

I have no idea how she performed on a day to day basis as my only dealings with Ms Crook were on email - when she chose to respond - and based on those interactions I personally do not have a positive opinion on her presence at the club. These were not fan or CTO communications, they were business related ones, and to ignore people who are not only service providers but also sponsors, customers and shareholders is bad business.    

I agree. Unless the person involved is guaranteed to generate substantially more additional income than their salary then, given how tight our finances are, the cost of a CEO would be better either saved or invested in the salary of a decent player.

• Agree 4

I, for one, am very sad to see her go. I really liked her and got on extremely well with her. Its a total bugger that shes gone , especially at this time as she had loads of different things on and different ideas to promote the club.  She most certainly had the club at heart and worked 7 days a week for all the time I ve known her.

Hopefully we can get a suitable replacement in who has the same enthusiasm in as quick as possible.  Any potential candidates names would be welcome .

We need someone on the ground with business and commercial local knowledge that  has vision and doesnt mind getting their hands dirty.  

Apply within !

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, sheepslagger said:

I, for one, am very sad to see her go. I really liked her and got on extremely well with her. Its a total bugger that shes gone , especially at this time as she had loads of different things on and different ideas to promote the club.  She most certainly had the club at heart and worked 7 days a week for all the time I ve known her.

Hopefully we can get a suitable replacement in who has the same enthusiasm in as quick as possible.  Any potential candidates names would be welcome .

We need someone on the ground with business and commercial local knowledge that  has vision and doesnt mind getting their hands dirty.  

Apply within !

Will work for food...!  ?  Aye, it's not the glamorous Karen Brady role, this is a CEO with plumbing skills - I think people have no idea what's involved doing a job like this at our level - me included - but we need to take our time to appoint the right person for the role

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepslagger said:

Apply within !

Where do I stick my name in Iv plenty ideas and just got paid of at xmas suit me that job soon get businesses on side trust me Iv the gift of the gab!

2 hours ago, sheepslagger said:

Apply within !

Are there any more jumping ship?

2 hours ago, sheepslagger said:

Apply within !

This makes it very strange that somebody who was so commited and as you say right in the middle of different things to up and go like this and not at least finish what she started.

Where does this leave the new foundation that she was key in setting up?

I suppose that we don't know the background ? I find it difficult to believe that she is the proverbial rat jumping off the proverbial ship. Lets face it - it is AT LEAST a full time job and needs total commitment. If she has other "pies in the oven" (as they say in Wigun) then she may have personal reasons. Perhaps she is doing it to save us some money as well. Does the role need to be at a CEO level. Where do we apply ?

• Agree 1

We managed our most successful and most financially stable years in the top six of the top tier without a CEO.

I failed to see why we needed one when YC was appointed and I fail to see why, with our hugely limited finances, we need such an appointment now.

• Agree 5

20 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

One less overhead to claim expenses. For someone with a background in PR this has been an area of the club that over the short term has been a shambles and the relationship between club and fans has never felt bigger - negative stories and second hand info regularly appearing and it seems a club unable to take advantage of situations to put positive spin on them and gain profitable advantage.

100% agree

17 hours ago, The Long Man said:

I believe she was a great advocate of social media for increased profile of the club and engagement of sponsors and fans. i shall leave you to judge whether that was effective.

The matchday stuff is fine and usually pretty interesting, but outside of that, on a day to day basis any increase in presence seemed to be focused on shoutouts to companies that did some work for the club and got mentions - perhaps in lieu of a small discount? Not exactly enthralling or engaging and certainly not award-winning as we had been previously !  

5 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Not such a failure and PR disaster as the lamentable Mike Smith but the fact that nobody seems to be bemoaning this departure speaks volumes.

We have had 4 CEOs (or equivalent role with different job title) over the years and to be honest I am not sure what any have brought to the table in terms of justifying their positions or raising/saving more money than they were costing. Debbie and Morven were at least pretty likeable folk and I certainly had a number of run-ins with Mike Smith, but as I said above I cant really comment on anything other than my personal dealings with the most recent incumbent and those were far from positive. In fact, these were negative enough that after 25 solid years of sponsorship and free or low cost service provision to the club we literally want nothing to do with the commercial side. Thats no reflection on the sales staff themselves who are excellent, but the leadership.  

5 hours ago, Satan said:

Apart from drawing a wage, what effect did she have?? Doubt many folk can pinpoint what she actually achieved. 

4 hours ago, sheepslagger said:

As Satan has asked ? Out of all the promises or goals that were mentioned back at the start of her tenure, what was actually achieved during that time? and at what cost both financially and in terms of relationship with fans and other sponsors?  I am sure she worked hard and had ideas, and some may have found her very pleasant, but none of those things put money in the bank.

Hopefully we can get a suitable replacement in who has the same enthusiasm in as quick as possible.  Any potential candidates names would be welcome .We need someone on the ground with business and commercial local knowledge that  has vision and doesnt mind getting their hands dirty.  Apply within !

Do we actually need someone? We have had 4 people take on that role - with different job titles at times - over 25 years and none of them have been a roaring success. A stadium manager and a senior sales executive reporting to a director rather than adding an extra layer and having them report to a CEO who then reports to that same director seems to have been sufficient for the majority of our existence. If we are going to replace her are we going to advertise the job this time and have an actual job description and pick the most suitably qualified candidate? 

4 hours ago, Weekend Hacker said:

Aye, it's not the glamorous Karen Brady role, this is a CEO with plumbing skills - I think people have no idea what's involved doing a job like this at our level - me included - but we need to take our time to appoint the right person for the role

Do we actually need someone? As I already said, some of our most productive years have been with good people in charge of sales and running the stadium without the title of CEO. People prepared to roll their sleeves up and do it themselves. 

2 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Are there any more jumping ship?

They already did over the festive season did they not ? 

1 hour ago, highlandexile said:

This makes it very strange that somebody who was so commited and as you say right in the middle of different things to up and go like this and not at least finish what she started.  Where does this leave the new foundation that she was key in setting up?

I must admit to finding this a bit strange too ... why jump now, just ahead of the 25th year celebrations ..... and the presentation of the accounts for scrutiny at the AGM ! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I suppose that we don't know the background ? I find it difficult to believe that she is the proverbial rat jumping off the proverbial ship. Lets face it - it is AT LEAST a full time job and needs total commitment. If she has other "pies in the oven" (as they say in Wigun) then she may have personal reasons. Perhaps she is doing it to save us some money as well. Does the role need to be at a CEO level. Where do we apply ?

I really don't think we need such a high powered position. What we need is a highly motivated, efficient commercial dept/manager to raise revenue including selling out hospitality at every home game. The club directors should be qualified enough to run the club structure and attract investment.

• Agree 4

• Scotty featured and pinned this topic
  • Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic