CEO Stands Down

Fraz

15 hours ago, Jagger said:

Everyone knows there are always two sides to a story and you shouldn't believe everything you read in the paper! It is easy to lay blame at someones door when we don't know the individual or all of the facts. 

Usually there are three sides .... each person's version .... and the actual truth !

When Mrs Crook was appointed by the board her task was to reduce overheads significantly, increase T/O, and work with the community. Everyone at the club knew there had to be significant change as the club was hemorrhaging cash. We know most people don't like change - with change you expect people to step forward and offer support to address these challenges. When you're suffering financially like we are it's common practice that individuals will have to exit the business, thats a fact!  Don't get me wrong it is great that people are loyal but loyality cannot be sacrificed for competency or cash! 

This is the press release issued when she was appointed : 

Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC is delighted to announce the appointment of a Chief Executive to provide strategic leadership and advice to the Board of Directors as the club restructures and looks to become a more community-focused club.  Mrs Yvonne Crook is an experienced consultant whose skills in business development, branding and marketing are seen as hugely valuable assets as the club strives to attract new investment and operate in a more business-like and sustainable way.  Mrs Crook is the owner of View Marketing and a founder and director of Good Highland Food Ltd, which she runs with her husband Mike. She has also held strategic advisory positions for several destinations and visitor attractions in Scotland including Loch Ness by Jacobite as well as Perth Racecourse.

Not sure "hemorrhaging cash" is quite the right description as we had been somewhat stable for the few years prior to that and the accounts, while never overly encouraging in any part of our 25 year history were not as bad as people are making out. We were a Premiership team, operating on a premiership budget with some costs we could not control and others that we might have been able to control better (that is ALWAYS the case)  .... However, given that we had just been relegated, then a problem with cashflow would be expected to be the case in the coming year regardless of who was in charge. Last time we were relegated it instantly cost us over £1,000,000 on the balance sheet. Some of the challenges we faced last season could be laid at the previous board (contracts) but not everything .... and lest we forget, the "previous board" did not resign en-masse. Our current chairman was part of that board and changes took place over time with some stepping down and others appointed to their current roles. 

Its also not rocket science to know individuals will be leaving the business ... last time we were relegated the "previous board" cut our staffing to the absolute bare bones to offset costs so its not a new or novel idea for this to happen. The fact of the matter however, is that most of the resignations quoted in the article are not redundancies or sackings due to cost-cutting but individuals making the choice to end their employment with ICT for other reasons. I know the reasoning behind at least two of those from the horses mouths but cannot speculate on the others. The ones I do know about have absolutely nothing to do with cost cutting.  

The item in red concerns me ... especially given the quote earlier in this thread that the company she was quoted as being a founder/director of is now apparently doing the catering at the stadium and according to those who sampled it, it is of lower quality than what was there before. What was the tender process? Who appointed this company? Did the founder who was also our CEO remove herself from the discussions due to a clear conflict of interest?  

If you review Mrs Crook's short tenure she did achieve some significant milestones for the club

• Stadium now secured as an asset of ICT
  • ICT Foundation established
  • Financial position improved with operationing costs reduced. £810k loss not in her tenure.  
  • While she may have been involved in the stadium discussions (or not?) I dont think she can take credit for it. The stadium deal was ready to sign long before she appeared on the scene and the couple of years of posturing, machinations and additional discussions that took place before it was finally signed have done nothing except pad the legal costs. 
  • We have yet to see the details of this foundation, how it is to operate and what governance is placed around it. Its a great idea in principle, but as can be seen from sheepslagger's comments on other threads recently, a lot of this is still in the idea stage. It may have been her idea, and I would say that it is a good one ... but its far from the finished article. 
  • Financial position is not improved as far as I can see it. The accounts, delayed until the stadium ownership was sorted, and could be included on them as an asset, are horrendous and come with an auditors warning never before seen on our accounts. As I said above, it was not going to be an easy task regardless of who took it on after relegation but to say it has improved is overly optimistic at best. £810K loss IS within her tenure. She was appointed in May 2018 after helping the board for the previous 6 months (as per the press release). That means she was around since November 2017. 

I agree with previous comments that a CEO is not needed at our club, our T/O is c£1.6m - surely the board can manage a business of that level.   I mentioned earlier it's not nice to lay blame. However, we have to ask serious questions of the board at the AGM. It appears once again we have an incompetent board at the helm of our club. The board should have been transparent with Mrs Crook's appointment, and what communication did they have with the CEO during her tenure.

I will agree once again that we do not need a CEO. No-one who has performed that role in the history of the club has shown it to be a crucial position at ICT. I would also agree with you regarding the serious questions and hope someone does ask these at the AGM. If I were still living locally I would be standing there doing just that. I would also encourage everyone to look at the ballot paper sent out and consider carefully before rubber stamping the options listed.  

Never mind all this s***e - we've got the Scottish Cup to win!

Exactly !! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

We have yet to see the details of this foundation, how it is to operate and what governance is placed around it. Its a great idea in principle, but as can be seen from sheepslagger's comments on other threads recently, a lot of this is still in the idea stage. It may have been her idea, and I would say that it is a good one ... but its far from the finished article. 

To be honest im really confused over the foundation.  It was launched at the 25th anniverary ball the other week and all the funds raised (over 27k from the auction alone) was in aid of the foundation.  But there seems very little detail anywhere on what exactly this foundation is about or as you say the governance around it.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, Fraz said:

Her husband's company now does the catering for hospitality and apparently it's much poorer than when red poppy were doing it. Not nepotism though, I'm sure it was a fair tendering process.  

I was in for the light lunch at the Queen of the South game in January and we got a one pot stew which was warm and not good.  I was glad to get the steak pie at half time.  As I was a guest I don't know what it cost but I would not have been happy paying for it, the drink and service were fine.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, Fraz said:

Her husband's company now does the catering for hospitality and apparently it's much poorer than when red poppy were doing it. Not nepotism though, I'm sure it was a fair tendering process.  

According to public records at companies house it is not her husband's company as he only has 25% of the shares.  It's her company as she is listed as a 75% shareholder and the sole Director!

13 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

According to public records at companies house it is not her husband's company as he only has 25% of the shares.  It's her company as she is listed as a 75% shareholder and the sole Director!

My bad.

Oh wait, that's even worse!

On 3/7/2019 at 9:32 AM, Satan said:

Apart from drawing a wage, what effect did she have??

Doubt many folk can pinpoint what she actually achieved. 

Allegedly she managed to secure the catering contract for her husband???

Really should learn to read previous posts.

Edited by micaley68

Very interesting Doofers Dad.  I looked up the Marketing company named and it says it was dissolved by compulsory strike-off in 2015.

104182007_Screenshot2019-03-08at22_01_59.thumb.png.7acf01e5235f0c4ea9c7ed7c82871c2e.png

On 3/7/2019 at 11:54 AM, Alan Simpson said:

Where do I stick my name in Iv plenty ideas and just got paid of at xmas suit me that job soon get businesses on side trust me Iv the gift of the gab!

You could be in with a chance Alan just make up a CV and apply if you have the gift of the gab that will give you the best chance.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:38 PM, Scotty said:

Pressreader makes it easier to read and an even scarier story : https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20190307/283424897907476 . If true, this woman eclipses Mike Smith with consummate ease in terms of potential damage done to our club. 

If indeed true then good on the directors who rejected that ultimatum and good riddance ! This is another reason why we should not have a CEO meddling in football affairs. what does a CEO (any CEO we have had) know about the footballing side of the business. Nothing.

I would rather have a Director of Football and a Director of Business on the board who managers responsible for each part of the club report to. Let them do their jobs on a day-to-day basis with governance in place to make sure everything is fine. Robbo and the Academy head would report to the Director of Football and whoever is the commercial and stadium managers would report to a Director of Business ... Looking at who we have lost, that's quite a number of good people and it seems she only fell when trying to oust yet another good person with a long history at the club in a part of the business she has no f***ing clue about.  The more I re-read that article, the angrier I become at both her and the method by which she was installed in her position !

image.png

Lost a lot of good people. 

Delivering much more than their job role in a small scottish club.

Is the true cost the extra effort and the extra mile all of those individuals have gone to in the past vs the distance they were being pulled back by yvonne. 

Its the extra steps people take  that allows the team to perform in a positive atmosphere on the pitch and releases funds back to the club instead of employing more contactors or consultants.

The richie foran of ceos? 

I wish her and ritchie all the best. But feel this should be a positive change. 

Inverness is not in disarray we have a good team of players all of whom are improving . We are on a positive trajectory even in a financially tight position. 

Well done robbo and the team. Lets get it done today. 

• Agree 8

I would have to say that while it is important to have a good team on the pitch (obviously), without having a good backroom staff to actually get the game on then the quality of the team is irrelevant. We need a full cohesive club structure from top to bottom with a proper management structure to create stability. Then and only then will Inverness have a club to proud of again. Yvonne's departure has highlighted this problem in great big capital letters and we need everyone from the youngest fan to the most senior person at the club to come together on this.

Players, board members and yes even fans do not understand the plethora of different roles and jobs needed to just ensure we are allowed to let people into the stadium and play a match.

And the whole key to curing all the ills as pointed out previously - GOOD COMMUNICATION

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I would have to say that while it is important to have a good team on the pitch (obviously), without having a good backroom staff to actually get the game on then the quality of the team is irrelevant. We need a full cohesive club structure from top to bottom with a proper management structure to create stability. Then and only then will Inverness have a club to proud of again. Yvonne's departure has highlighted this problem in great big capital letters and we need everyone from the youngest fan to the most senior person at the club to come together on this.

Players, board members and yes even fans do not understand the plethora of different roles and jobs needed to just ensure we are allowed to let people into the stadium and play a match.

And the whole key to curing all the ills as pointed out previously - GOOD COMMUNICATION

Your assumption fans don't understand the working of the club is a bit naive. I'm sure most fans understand that there is a whole host of backroom roles needed to make a match happen from safety, medical, turnstiles, reception, ticket office, shop, groundsfolk, hospitality staff, kit men etc. Her departure has highlighted she got rid of a lot of good folk doing these roles for her own benefit (hospitality). And good communication hasn't exactly been top notch in past few seasons now has it. Other than when the board is having a pop at its own fan base. 

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I would have to say that while it is important to have a good team on the pitch (obviously), without having a good backroom staff to actually get the game on then the quality of the team is irrelevant.

You are absolutely correct and this is one of the reasons fans are concerned as we have seen a huge number of very good backroom staff leave over the last year. 

We need a full cohesive club structure from top to bottom with a proper management structure to create stability. Then and only then will Inverness have a club to proud of again. Yvonne's departure has highlighted this problem in great big capital letters and we need everyone from the youngest fan to the most senior person at the club to come together on this.

No argument there. Our club has always been at its best when fans and club have worked together in harmony. That is not the case right now even if some on both sides are trying. 

You might be surprised at how much fans DO know about what it takes. Perhaps not all ... but more than you seem to think !  It is also - as another poster notes - something that most of us dont need to know and instead elect a board of directors to govern whats needed to ensure everything is run for the good and benefit of the club. 

absolutely. Something our current chairman promised on day 1 and has never delivered. 

• Agree 1

Communication from the club seems to be very hit and miss.  The Club's AGM takes place on Monday 18th March but there is no notice of it on the Club's website.  The only reference I can find to it is right at the bottom of a news item titled ""Culture change is key to positive future for ICT", which now appears on page 2 of the latest news items.  It appears the Club is issuing notice of the meeting to shareholders by email this year (presumably to save money) but neither I nor my son have received the relevant email.  I am in contact with the club about this and have in any case been forwarded a copy from a colleague on the Supporters Trust Board.. But I do have a concern that there may be shareholders who are unaware of the forthcoming meeting either because they, like me, have not received the email, or because the email has gone into an unmonitored junk folder.  This is not just poor communication, it runs the risk of the legitimacy of the AGM being called into question.  

As a Supporters Trust Board member, I would be interested in hearing if any other shareholders have not received notification, regardless of whether or not they have any intention of attending the meeting.  It may be be that our failure to receive the email is an isolated glitch but it would be important to know if it was not.  Please either let me know via this thread or PM me if you prefer.

As Czeslaw Milosz once said to me on a Polish Vodka soaked meeting - "The voice of passion is better than the voice of reason. The passionless can't change history"

Perhaps the voice of reason was responsible for the dismissal of the passionate in our instance ?

2 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Communication from the club seems to be very hit and miss.  The Club's AGM takes place on Monday 18th March but there is no notice of it on the Club's website.  The only reference I can find to it is right at the bottom of a news item titled ""Culture change is key to positive future for ICT", which now appears on page 2 of the latest news items.  It appears the Club is issuing notice of the meeting to shareholders by email this year (presumably to save money) but neither I nor my son have received the relevant email.  I am in contact with the club about this and have in any case been forwarded a copy from a colleague on the Supporters Trust Board.. But I do have a concern that there may be shareholders who are unaware of the forthcoming meeting either because they, like me, have not received the email, or because the email has gone into an unmonitored junk folder.  This is not just poor communication, it runs the risk of the legitimacy of the AGM being called into question.  

As a Supporters Trust Board member, I would be interested in hearing if any other shareholders have not received notification, regardless of whether or not they have any intention of attending the meeting.  It may be be that our failure to receive the email is an isolated glitch but it would be important to know if it was not.  Please either let me know via this thread or PM me if you prefer.

Phone the club, pretend you are Tony Hadley and croon - Text me or tell me, but it's always second-hand; I'm incognito but no rendezvous's been planned; Dictate or relay, I could send it to your home; "Return to Sender" - I could sing it down the phone!

Communication let me down; But I'm left here; Communication let me down; But I'm left here, I'm left here AGAIN :whistle:

• Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

Can we get transparency and a plan for moving forwards? Also given the constant use of the word communication by the board can we get some thought shown into this such that messages deliver facts the fans want to know. Recent comms seem to centre around asking the fans for more money as that is the solution where as above suggests that its restructuring with correct persons.

If board members are on the site then hiding behind nondescript user names is not going to help build a closer union.

Edited by bdu98196

On 3/11/2019 at 7:59 AM, bdu98196 said:

If board members are on the site then hiding behind nondescript user names is not going to help build a closer union.

Absolutely. It reeks of the underhand which is sadly how I am beginning to view the tenure and activities of our current Chairman. Not good at all!

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic