Pitch Inspection ****GAME OFF****

Fraz

I see that after much online speculation that the club has announced a pitch inspection at 12.30pm today. 

Seems our drainage issues have reared their ugly head again. Robbo did say earlier this year that the pitch had not seen any serious work for a great many seasons and needed a huge amount of work done. 

Interesting to note that an such an early inspection would say to me that they think it'll be off and they want to save the tv crews the hassle. 

22 minutes ago, Fraz said:

I see that after much online speculation that the club has announced a pitch inspection at 12.30pm today. 

Seems our drainage issues have reared their ugly head again. Robbo did say earlier this year that the pitch had not seen any serious work for a great many seasons and needed a huge amount of work done. 

Interesting to note that an such an early inspection would say to me that they think it'll be off and they want to save the tv crews the hassle. 

While they are at it, maybe they can update the league table on their site as well. If only Scotty was still doing it..................

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

I know the drainage issues are longstanding and well known, but to be fair the weather has been awful all week and this morning it was like a monsoon when I drove over the bridge. Hard to see how any pitch could cope with this. I also note the forecast is for more rain later so I doubt there will be any chance for it to dry out.

• tm4tj changed the title to Pitch Inspection ****GAME OFF****
  • tm4tj pinned this topic

Given the proximity of both sets of fans a later inspection would have been welcomed. Appreciate its on TV but to do this to avoid mobilisation of cameras from the central belt (if thats the reason) is very poor judgement. Afterall our fans have traveled significant distance and already set off for games to be inspected only a few hours at most before KO.

Logic (which never applied in Scottish football) would be to rearrange for 3pm tomorrow (normal football time) as any rescheduled fixture is unlikely to be on TV so both clubs could just agree to forego any benefits that could have brought. Would still allow use of any catering or hospitality and many fans will still be available to attend.

Slammed when they make a late decision and slammed when they make an early decision....the proverbial "can't win" scenario.

The fact that they called an inspection so early would indicate that there was no chance of the game going ahead tonight...which is unsurprising given the amount of rain that's fallen the last few days and continues to fall today.

Still, moaning about this is a welcome break for people moaning about the semi final ?

• Agree 7
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

Slammed when they make a late decision and slammed when they make an early decision....the proverbial "can't win" scenario.

Not slamming the decision, just stating that it cant be based on fan travel this time as very few will have set off on the journey to the match already (even if they had a horse and cart) so maybe a few hours to see if there was any improvement may have been welcomed. Regardless the rescheduled fixture needs to be soon IMO to avoid use having games 'stacking up' and needing to play 3 or even 4 in a wk at some point.

The pitch is sodden! Leaving it longer wasnt going to change anything. In fact it probably would have been called off yesterday if allowed. The rain has been of biblical proportions at times this week. 

As for the above risking injury and totally wrecking the pitch doesnt sound a great plan to me? 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Given the proximity of both sets of fans a later inspection would have been welcomed. Appreciate its on TV but to do this to avoid mobilisation of cameras from the central belt (if thats the reason) is very poor judgement. Afterall our fans have traveled significant distance and already set off for games to be inspected only a few hours at most before KO.

Logic (which never applied in Scottish football) would be to rearrange for 3pm tomorrow (normal football time) as any rescheduled fixture is unlikely to be on TV so both clubs could just agree to forego any benefits that could have brought. Would still allow use of any catering or hospitality and many fans will still be available to attend.

The early decision was probably because there was no chance of improvement. It wont be playable tomorrow either! 

Edited by old caley girl
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Given the delights of the derby game I would imagine there would be a few folk travelling up from further south so the early notification would be welcome. I well remember some years back driving up from Norwich to the New Year game at Dungwall only to find out the game was off when we were passing Nairn!

• Like 1

Can we not, for once, give credit for a sensible decision made in good time thus minimising inconvenience and expense for everyone ?

We have often been critical, often rightly so, of little consideration being given to fans. Here we have a decision that does give us consideration and still some folk carp and complain.

• Agree 11
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, scottishhighlands said:

one drop of rain and they call it of i once went to a aberdeen v rangers game pitch  was under water but game still went on they are to soft now

indeed. think I have pictures of that game ..... :whistle:

a41f726b0511152db26609.jpg  U45P5029DT20140610150812.jpg  7ea15b92a08e4046ac5e7dfddf643cdb.jpg

If the weather is that bad then good decision. no point delaying the inevitable. Some people may be inconvenienced but leaving it to the last minute when you know its not going ahead inconveniences more !

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I realise that Soil Aquifer Treatment may be costly but it should have been utilized years ago. the Herald brought the problem to the public eye in late November 2017 when :

"GEOLOGISTS have cast doubts on plans to store greenhouse gases in a natural underground chamber deep beneath the Moray Firth, saying the area's potential has been overstated. The Captain Sandstone saline aquifer has been "widely hailed" in recent years as a solution to the dilemma of how to capture the climate-change driving carbon dioxide produced by Scotland's gas or coal-fired power stations. Previously, experts said the subterranean chasm could possibly store decades worth of industrial output and keep it from entering the atmosphere."

"Prof Underhill added: "For the past seven years, the Captain Sandstone saline aquifer, which lies buried beneath the Moray Firth, has been widely hailed as having the potential to store between 15-100 years of CO2 output from Scotland's power industry. "Our research concludes that this is the wrong exemplar to choose because the tilt of Britain leads to it rising to subcrop the seabed with few barriers to arrest gas escape and has caused fault reactivation."

• tm4tj unpinned this topic