Mother board failiure

Laurence

My short answer would be to take that £300 and put it towards a new laptop !  If you are not doing any serious processing (eg. gaming) then even entry level machines may have enough oomph for you and possibly a better spec. 

The big issue these days seems to be that in the quest to make laptops lighter and thinner they are permanently affixing many components to the motherboard and removing the ability to replace basic parts like memory, batteries, and even malfunctioning ports so when something goes wrong you are faced with a large bill. Where you used to have flaps on the bottom you could open with a screwdriver to replace some parts, now there are none. My own work laptop is completely sealed without any way to open it. We simply wipe them, send them back to HP and get a replacement. They are not just portable now but disposable ! 

I've got an HP as well, Scotty and so far no serious problems. 

Supposed to be one of the top  computers here. Mine is not a laptop though and it never will be because  the keys are far too cramped together for my  vision-impaired eyes to be able to see them properly for selection purposes And so it takes ages for me to be able to type even a few sentences.

:whistle:    Yep, Festus, don't get old!

My wife relies on her lap top, because she does all  the data based work for the book selling,

She is buying a new one tomorrow at PC  world. -  The hard drive was unaffected by the collapse my local shop was able to save what she needed.

Thanks Scotty for your help

4 hours ago, Laurence said:

My wife relies on her lap top, because she does all  the data based work for the book selling,

She is buying a new one tomorrow at PC  world. -  The hard drive was unaffected by the collapse my local shop was able to save what she needed.

Thanks Scotty for your help

no problem

I would also recommend buying a n external HD or signing up for one of the cloud services like OneDrive / Dropbox (or both). Depending on how much storage you need the free options may be enough. Provided you save your documents to these media the death of a PC will no longer phase you !! I do this with all our family photos and documents ... I have them backed up to 2 different hard drives as well as subscribe to OneDrive which gives me 1TB storage and yearly access to Office 365 for 5 PCs.  I also have a 128Gb flash drive that serves me when I need an even smaller form factor.  

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

no problem

I would also recommend buying a n external HD

Amen to this.   All of my data is stored on at least two external drives.  So I have weathered a motherboard failure and a C drive (an SSD) failure with no loss of data. Only the hassle of reinstalling Windows and applications - and even that I could have avoided by using an imaging/backup tool.

The IT correspondent on the Guardian newspaper in the UK has coined a law which is that information doesn't exist unless it is in three different physical locations.

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Only the hassle of reinstalling Windows and applications - and even that I could have avoided by using an imaging/backup tool.

You can also register your Windows serials to your Outlook account now and when having to reinstall anything you can retrieve the numbers and perform a clean install if you have to. 

What's an Outlook account?  ?

When I replaced the motherboard, I also had to replace the CPU (different socket), memory and graphics card (no longer supported by a current mobo).

Windows decided it needed to be revalidated, and the Microsoft person whom I spoke to said that I had moved Windows to a new machine. 

I persuaded her otherwise. But anything that would avoid that situation would be very welcome.

outlook.com (formerly hotmail). if you have this you can register your Windows 10 serial as part of your account and use it to re-acivate your machine. I had an old HP that had MB issues and the power supply died too so rather than fix it I acquired a new box (also HP) and dropped in the C drive from the old machine. It saw there was new hardware but that the disk was the same and after a few attempts it allowed me to re-validate it without going through the dreaded support call. Not sure if it was because I "purchased" Windows 10 on that account when they were offering it for free but it was pretty straightforward.     

see here : https://www.windowscentral.com/how-link-your-windows-10-product-key-microsoft-account