Last night's AGM

Surely there should be some news by now.  Were the Supporters Trust, with their 10% interest there, and therefore anyone of their representatives give an update ASAP please. 

Sorry not to have been able to post anything before now.  I attended along with Jen Aitchison on behalf of the Supporters Trust. There were around 50 people attending .  I am sure you will understand that the AGM is not a public meeting and therefore I am not in a position to give as much information as people might like. 

The Chairman (Graham Rae) spoke to the Annual Report and Financial Statements and then fielded questions from the floor on a number of topics including the less than healthy accounts and recent staff departures.  It is no secret that the reduced level of income which can be expected in the Championship is simply not enough to maintain desired levels of expenditure.  The Board has to balance expenditure with it's ability to generate a steady and reliable income stream, together with occasional windfall payments (cup runs, transfers etc) and  cash injections from Directors and others. There are inevitably differences of opinion as to how best to go about achieving this balance, but nobody spoke specifically against any of the resolutions and all were passed overwhelmingly by a show of hands.  As for recent departures, the Chairman quite rightly said that the reasons for any individual's departure must remain confidential.

The two new Directors, Liam Dalgarno and Ross Morrison both spoke passionately  about  why they have agreed to join the Board and I am sure they will be a real asset to the Club as we move forward.

John Robertson was present and answered a couple of questions at the end.  He said he feels we are a better footballing side than Hearts and is confident we can beat them.  He also spoke about artificial pitches and again spoke highly about the one they use for training at the Rugby club.  

From a Supporter's Trust perspective, I had a brief chat with Graham Rae prior to the meeting and he expressed a wish to establish a regular programme of scheduled meetings with the Trust.  It is good that the Board now seems keen to engage with the Supporter's Trust and we'll keep you updated on how that goes.

Far more questions than answers. While it is appreciated that maintaining full time football outside of the top tier is a very difficult task the current regime do not inspire confidence in either their integrity, openness or competence.

Sadly, nobody there are no queues waiting in the wings anxious and able to replace them. Worrying times.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

The Board has to balance expenditure with it's ability to generate a steady and reliable income stream, together with occasional windfall payments (cup runs, transfers etc) and  cash injections from Directors and others.

While a degree of confidentiality is appreciated, much of the summary is common knowledge that we need to balance the books and have more outgoings than incomings brought on by previous mismanagement and dropping out of the Premiership. What I think everyone wants to know is where and what is the strategy moving forwards - how is the club going to build a sustainable model as right now we posted losses of £800k which its unlikely we will make profits in coming years to recover.

Its clear that footfall alone will not improve to recover this alone as previous & current regimes have struggled to get increased interest from the local community, so do we have any other ideas or blue sky thinking or strategies and with the reduction in personnel is there business model and development people around the club to move it forwards?

• Agree 2

Usual smoke and mirrors then. Not actually giving answers to questions just deflecting. No transparency equals no trust. Simple formula really. You want to increase supporters then be more transparent and communicate in a better manner. As it stands I have zero trust in the majority of the current board save a couple. As a result I am less likely to make the effort to come along to games. I wouldn't be too surprised if that is the case for other supporters too. Until the current board learn to be more transparent then very little will change other than the club continuing in a downward spiral. Open communications and a hearts and minds approach from the board is what is needed.

Edited by Jockdoonsouth
typo

I don’t understand fans staying away because they don’t trust the Board.  Most fans don’t give a stuff about the Board - they, like me, go to watch football and support the players of ICT.   It’s like saying you’re never going to buy in M&S because you don’t like their board members.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

8 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

So what are your ideas, then? 

Go search my posts then and you will see threads and contributions from myself and others on this subject many times along with numerous other posters.

But overall the board have taken on the positions with a duty to move the club forwards - I haven't therefore its not my responsibility to answer the outstanding questions. When there are issues with public services do you go running to the government or local authority with solutions - no you request the politicians or representatives in place to represent you do their job and improve the situation.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, lizi said:

I don’t understand fans staying away because they don’t trust the Board.  Most fans don’t give a stuff about the Board - they, like me, go to watch football and support the players of ICT.   It’s like saying you’re never going to buy in M&S because you don’t like their board members.  

Some of us don't just wander across the city and spend £30 on match day. I have over a 1000 mile round trip to make. If I don't like the way the board is operating and spending cash ie on catering companies run by the cousin of the Chair then I am very unlikely to make that kind of effort. The last home game cost me over £300 to get there, watch a shambles of a display because we don't have the money for decent players, and knowing that nepotism and petty politics within the board is partly responsible for that, then I am less likely to make those sacrifices in the future. And I am not the only one that feels that way.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

When there are issues with public services do you go running to the government or local authority with solutions

Yes, indeed, I have in the past made suggestions on how services could be improved.  It's often the person experiencing the problem who has the best ideas for solving it.

In my working life, in IT, if I had to report to a problem to a boss, I always made sure that I had one or two suggestions for dealing with that problem.  And I made sure that people reporting to me understood that I expected that from them.

Just saying "it's not my job" helps no one.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman

1 hour ago, Jockdoonsouth said:

Some of us don't just wander across the city and spend £30 on match day. I have over a 1000 mile round trip to make. If I don't like the way the board is operating and spending cash ie on catering companies run by the cousin of the Chair then I am very unlikely to make that kind of effort. The last home game cost me over £300 to get there, watch a shambles of a display because we don't have the money for decent players, and knowing that nepotism and petty politics within the board is partly responsible for that, then I am less likely to make those sacrifices in the future. And I am not the only one that feels that way.

These players have got us to the semi final of the Scottish cup. Its not perfect every game but to decry them is this way is unfair imho. The football side is the only part of the club currently functioning that I can see.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

These players have got us to the semi final of the Scottish cup. Its not perfect every game but to decry them is this way is unfair imho. The football side is the only part of the club currently functioning that I can see.

Very true. Have they got us out of the Championship? ... no. Does it look like it will happen soon? ... probably not! Would we have stronger players if the budget was there? ... absolutely! Why hasn't extra investment been found or sourced? ... the clowns on the board (well some of them). A good tender for catering could have brought in much needed money but instead it goes out to a family member ... dodgy? Absolutely. Good people in the backroom leaving like rats from a sinking ship spell issues with the board? ... absolutely. We can all be happy clappers until the club folds or we go to part-time football or we can begin to address the issues at the heart of our current status. What happens in the boardroom affects what goes on whilst on the pitch!

2 hours ago, Jockdoonsouth said:

Sorry you are not local but I travel to every away game to support ICT and wouldn’t dream of adding up the cost over the years, plus sponsoring players and purchasing items in Club shop.   The cost is immaterial to me in regard to the Board - I put out my cash to support ICT players and hope the Board make the right decisions behind the scenes. 

You're missing the point Lizi.  You're money isn't going to supporting the players.  It's mostly going into the pockets of friends and family of the Chairman and we're seeing nothing in return.

Very true. Have they got us out of the Championship? ... no. Does it look like it will happen soon? ... probably not! Would we have stronger players if the budget was there? ... absolutely! Why hasn't extra investment been found or sourced? ... the clowns on the board (well some of them). A good tender for catering could have brought in much needed money but instead it goes out to a family member ... dodgy? Absolutely. Good people in the backroom leaving like rats from a sinking ship spell issues with the board? ... absolutely. We can all be happy clappers until the club folds or we go to part-time football or we can begin to address the issues at the heart of our current status. What happens in the boardroom affects what goes on whilst on the pitch!

Nobody is saying that things are all rosy but your answer is to stop going to games and supporting the players? That'll definitely help. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Nobody is saying that things are all rosy but your answer is to stop going to games and supporting the players? That'll definitely help. 

Would you travel a 1000 miles at a cost of £300 a time to know your money is being frittered away by board members intent on feathering the nests of themselves and their family members at the cost of the progression of the club at pitch level? I doubt you would be feeling too enthusiatic. The current board, well some of them need to go. We don't have the capacity for dead weight including our current chair, Graham "coco the clown" Rae. "By supporting the players you are papering over the cracks which then allows the board to continue in such a bad vein. People keep asking why we are haemorraging supporters and why the stadium is always so empty ... well there you have it! We need to cut the rot out of the club before we can begin to grow. Happy clapping our way along will only lead to part-time football or insolvency. It really is that simple.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, lizi said:

Sorry you are not local but I travel to every away game to support ICT and wouldn’t dream of adding up the cost over the years, plus sponsoring players and purchasing items in Club shop.   The cost is immaterial to me in regard to the Board - I put out my cash to support ICT players and hope the Board make the right decisions behind the scenes. 

I applaud you Lizi. Hope is not enough. Like hoping we don't go part-time or worse go into administration. Hope won't stop that from happening. Attending games is only going to keep the current board in place and will lead to problems sooner or later. Better to take action than live in hope becuae only actions will make the necessary changes. The board need to understand the levels of dissatisfaction with the fans ... the ones who make the club what it is.

Edited by Jockdoonsouth

42 minutes ago, Jockdoonsouth said:

your money is being frittered away by board members intent on feathering the nests of themselves and their family members

I think that you are getting very close to making defamatory accusations, and I am surprised that the mods haven't said anything.

By all means, criticise the Board, but if you can't prove it, don't say it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Buster said:

You're missing the point Lizi.  You're money isn't going to supporting the players.  It's mostly going into the pockets of friends and family of the Chairman and we're seeing nothing in return.

Would you travel a 1000 miles at a cost of £300 a time to know your money is being frittered away by board members intent on feathering the nests of themselves and their family members at the cost of the progression of the club at pitch level? I doubt you would be feeling too enthusiatic. The current board, well some of them need to go. We don't have the capacity for dead weight including our current chair, Graham "coco the clown" Rae. "By supporting the players you are papering over the cracks which then allows the board to continue in such a bad vein. People keep asking why we are haemorraging supporters and why the stadium is always so empty ... well there you have it! We need to cut the rot out of the club before we can begin to grow. Happy clapping our way along will only lead to part-time football or insolvency. It really is that simple.

Buster - what a ridiculous statement. The money paid by fans goes to support the club and running costs. To say that the directors are lining their pockets with this, when some of them have invested large sums of money, with little chance of recouping the investment is just an astonishing thing to say and no evidence from you to back this up.

Jockdoonsooth - while I appreciate you make a substantial financial commitment to attend "home" games, to suggest that many fans are not willing to attend games because of the current board is ridiculous. What happened previously when crowds were lower or fell away before the current board, was that because folk were pissed off with the board?. Our crowds now are not hugely higher than when we first got promoted from the first division. maybe around 800 more from memory (I stand corrected if wrong). Basically we have never managed to substantially increase our crowds year on year. Look at the Falkirk/Partick Thistle game last weekend, a bottom of the table clash but almost 5000 attended. We have punched above our weight for years but if we cannot increase our crowds then we will, and deserve to be no more than a Championship team and possibly part time. We have rarely made a profit in our existence so hardly likely to do so in the next few years. Your comment about supporters money being frittered away for the board members to feather their nests is also, as I have replied to Buster, ridiculous and again would like to see some evidence.

Basically the club is running at a loss, and has done so for most of its existence. The only way to avoid another £800 k loss is to cut costs and reduce staffing levels/wages. Without that happening, the decline in the club will accelerate which none of us wants to see, or perhaps some do,

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Buster said:

That is simply not true.  The Annual Report stated that 58% of total expenditure was spent on first team footballing resources.  That compares pretty favourably with other clubs. It will be the case that some of the expenditure relates to previously negotiated contracts on which the current regime has little control, but nevertheless, with such a large drop in turnover, it seems to me that the Board is protecting the playing budget as much as it reasonably can.   Running a football club has a variety of unavoidable costs which inevitably represent a higher proportion of total costs for smaller clubs.  We would all like to see more money being spent on the team but this will only happen if costs can be further reduced and/or income increased.  Reducing income by not attending matches will not help.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am going to post this in here and in the Academy thread just so we are clear.

It is acceptable to post that you believe the board is doing a good job or a bad job, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. It is acceptable to reference things that are in the public domain such as the resignation of individuals, the fact that our recently resigned CEO is a relative of our chairman and the proprietor of a company now providing service to the club, or the state of our accounts, but without proof or anything to substantiate things it is NOT acceptable to post blanket statements such as the directors are lining their pockets. Our finances are precarious but that is nothing new over the last 25 years. As noted by another poster this comes very close to defamation unless you have evidence to back that up. Please post opinion or fact but dont step over the line by posting opinion as fact ..... 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I am going to post this in here and in the Academy thread just so we are clear.

It is acceptable to post that you believe the board is doing a good job or a bad job, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. It is acceptable to reference things that are in the public domain such as the resignation of individuals, the fact that our recently resigned CEO is a relative of our chairman and the proprietor of a company now providing service to the club, or the state of our accounts, but without proof or anything to substantiate things it is NOT acceptable to post blanket statements such as the directors are lining their pockets. Our finances are precarious but that is nothing new over the last 25 years. As noted by another poster this comes very close to defamation unless you have evidence to back that up. Please post opinion or fact but dont step over the line by posting opinion as fact ..... 

Or, for that matter, opinion as merely opinion if it is of a defamatory nature and you have no evidence to substantiate it.