Blogs

Scotty

Calling you bloggers out there ....... the forum software we have has had a few updates over the years and the blogging portion of it is no exception. It now has the ability to pull in a feed of articles from your own hosted or self-hosted blog and allow you to bring them to a wider audience.   Whether your blog is ICT related or about something else reasonably relevant to our audience, feel free to set one up on here and pull your articles in. I have done it with my 'Across the Pond' blog and gallery about Toronto FC and the example can be seen here :   

For our users, it may give them some more interesting football articles to read like James Rendall's excellent article that Mannie uploaded this week and for you bloggers out there it allows the posts you make on your own blog to be advertised here with a link right back to your blog that will drive traffic to your site .... a win-win for everyone.   We wont put any restrictions on this to begin with but if anyone starts posting anything inappropriate then we do reserve the right to suspend or block that particular blog feed from the site and remove blogging permissions on the account. 

If anyone wants more info or needs help to set one up, let me know. We would really like to encourage more people to write opinion pieces or import interesting articles from their own blogs ..... 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Feel free to do this with Narey's Toepoker if you like, Scotty.

Some good reading there, especially the one on club finances which I think is worthy of a share on this site as it may open the eyes of some as to how precarious our financial situation is.

1 hour ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

I think it would need to be setup by you in case you wanted to add any articles on top of the feed. Let me see if I can add your feed and then turn it over to you. 

Ok, I added it and pulled in your RSS feed. the articles now appear and I made you the owner of it so you can customise it, add any header pictures or go in and edit the feed to add teasers or anything else you want to do. if you do nothing it should just pull in your articles and show them as 'new' in the site feed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Been meaning to compliment you for a while Laurie. I bookmarked Narey’s Toepoker ages ago but can’t see an option to follow it as I’m on Wordpress not blogspot.

Edited by TheMantis

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Calling you bloggers out there ....... the forum software we have has had a few updates over the years and the blogging portion of it is no exception. It now has the ability to pull in a feed of articles from your own hosted or self-hosted blog and allow you to bring them to a wider audience.   Whether your blog is ICT related or about something else reasonably relevant to our audience, feel free to set one up on here and pull your articles in. I have done it with my 'Across the Pond' blog and gallery about Toronto FC and the example can be seen here :   

For our users, it may give them some more interesting football articles to read like James Rendall's excellent article that Mannie uploaded this week and for you bloggers out there it allows the posts you make on your own blog to be advertised here with a link right back to your blog that will drive traffic to your site .... a win-win for everyone.   We wont put any restrictions on this to begin with but if anyone starts posting anything inappropriate then we do reserve the right to suspend or block that particular blog feed from the site and remove blogging permissions on the account. 

If anyone wants more info or needs help to set one up, let me know. We would really like to encourage more people to write opinion pieces or import interesting articles from their own blogs ..... 

Very comprehensive blog Scotty. I see the posts are 3 months apart which will probably help you keep it up in the long run ?

when I started my own one I was posting every 1-2 weeks but after about 2 years I found the commitment waning a bit.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think it would need to be setup by you in case you wanted to add any articles on top of the feed. Let me see if I can add your feed and then turn it over to you. 

This kind of has me beat too. How do you link it to an existing blog?

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Very comprehensive blog Scotty. I see the posts are 3 months apart which will probably help you keep it up in the long run ?

when I started my own one I was posting every 1-2 weeks but after about 2 years I found the commitment waning a bit.

I havent blogged seriously for a couple of years. I just add the odd article. its mostly galleries and stats after each game and these are pages rather than posts so not on any feed. I take about 1000 photos each game and whittle it down to between 50 and 100 for the site ... This year I figured to add a few blog posts. 

3 hours ago, TheMantis said:

This kind of has me beat too. How do you link it to an existing blog?

The blog needs to have an atom or RSS feed. If you are using wordpress its just   <wordpress-URL>/feed.

You go to Blogs then create one (should have permissions), then when looking at your blog you go to manage and add the feed in the settings. it should import it automatically. Mine imported just the title so I had to go in and add the preamble. not sure if thats a wordpress thing or because I had the feed settings in wordpress set to summary. 

4 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Been meaning to compliment you for a while Laurie. I bookmarked Narey’s Toepoker ages ago but can’t see an option to follow it as I’m on Wordpress not blogspot.

IF the blog feed is added here then as a workaround you should be able to follow it here and it will appear when a new post is added 

22 hours ago, Scotty said:

The blog needs to have an atom or RSS feed. If you are using wordpress its just   <wordpress-URL>/feed.

You go to Blogs then create one (should have permissions), then when looking at your blog you go to manage and add the feed in the settings. it should import it automatically. Mine imported just the title so I had to go in and add the preamble. not sure if thats a wordpress thing or because I had the feed settings in wordpress set to summary. 

OK, getting there, thanks Scotty. Only shows 10 posts though, same as James? Also the side panel on the CTO 'blogs' page shows 8 blogs in operation, but only displays 5 of them?

12 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

I wondered about the ten posts as well. What's that about Scotty?

Must be a box to tick somewhere.

10 boxes is typically the default import number on the blogging software (eg Wordpress). Its not set by us. Its basically importing what is set inside your website feed in the same way as we import twitter and facebook feeds to the sidebars on various pages. Laurie's shows 25, presumably because Blogspot has a different default or he has set it higher. 

24 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Also the side panel on the CTO 'blogs' page shows 8 blogs in operation, but only displays 5 of them?

That was me. the block was set to show only 5. I have now set it to display all and ordered it by last post date so the 'freshest' blogs are at the top. 

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That was me. the block was set to show only 5. I have now set it to display all and ordered it by last post date so the 'freshest' blogs are at the top. 

Final question  ?: can't seem to set different photos for each blog post. But you and James/Mannie have done it, so it's possible

You need to go to the Blog entry and choose entry actions then edit

Once there you can edit various bits and pieces of the individual entry, but what you are looking for is the entry called 'Feature Photo'. Drag an image there or upload one and it will be used as the article image. I recommend using 1200x300 to keep it reasonably sized and consistent on front page but rectangular of any size should be ok (within reason). 

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

You need to go to the Blog entry and choose entry actions then edit

Once there you can edit various bits and pieces of the individual entry, but what you are looking for is the entry called 'Feature Photo'. Drag an image there or upload one and it will be used as the article image. I recommend using 1200x300 to keep it reasonably sized and consistent on front page but rectangular of any size should be ok (within reason). 

Yeah that works. I see what you mean about the 1200x300 as you can't reposition it like the main image. Cheers.