Scotland

Kingsmills

8 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I'm not trying to upset you, Kingmills, but I will mention that the Guardian's report said that Graeme Shinnie was at fault for the first two goals.  I didn't read the rest of it...

Massive game now against San Marino :rotflmao:

Yup, confident that, if we keep it tight, we can get a point from that one.

• Facepalm 1

Some of the comments on the highlights were priceless.

"San Marino manager considering who to rest against Scotland"

"McLeish tries to disprove the adage there are no easy matches at international level"

"Unacceptable, disgraceful Kazakh manager fired after lacklustre performance against Scotland"

We really have become a laughing stock a downward spiral over the last 30 years, it's a good job we don't have to play the Africans or South Americans regularly our FIFA ranking glosses over our true level. Peter Grant actually thought we started the game well?????? 2 down after 12 minutes, didn't know Peter did irony.

Embarrassing result and performance, I'm sure like most I was glad I was working.

Caleyjag tried to subject me to the highlights last night but I fell asleep before it came on, bit like the actual Scotland team just before it kicked off. 

• 1 year later...

Well that was a hard watch. The Czech Republic were by far the better team tonight, and all bar two were debutants and they were only called up yesterday.

With two class left backs, why are we playing a back three that includes a midfielder out of position? With the same starting line up, a 4 5 1 or 4 4 2 would have been more sensible with Palmer and Robertson playing full back and McTominay in midfield. 

We got a very lucky penalty (scored by Christie) or this would have been another night of great embarrassment. David Marshall has several good saves and the woodwork saved us at least once. The Czechs has 19 attempts compared to our 6.

Only bright spot was Dykes instinctive run for his goal.

We need to revert to a back 4 when we play Israel in the play off. 

Edited by Robert

• 1 month later...

I’m big enough to say when I am wrong.

After three wins in 7 days with no goals conceded, Clarke is doing a great job and the formation is working.

OK, we needed penalties against Israel and we were under pressure a lot tonight but results count.

Undefeated in over a year, on our best run for 32 years, can we break with our “glorious failure” habit and get a win in Serbia and qualify for the Euros? I really hope so. 

• Like 1

I do like the Nations League concept, so much better than meaningless friendlies. And it’s nice to see the league tables currently being topped by footballing nations that people used to laugh at like the Faroes, Luxembourg, North Macedonia and, erm, Scotland.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Yngwie said:

I do like the Nations League concept, so much better than meaningless friendlies. And it’s nice to see the league tables currently being topped by footballing nations that people used to laugh at like the Faroes, Luxembourg, North Macedonia and, erm, Scotland.

It makes a refreshing change that is for sure. Long may it continue.

2 hours ago, CaleyCanary said:

I'm still fully expecting a 95th minute winner from a Serbian breakaway after we've dominated possession and had some glorious missed chances - it's in our psyche, we canna help it...

Those of us of a certain age have been there far too often before to expect anything else 😁

First experienced during the 1974 World Cup. Repeated frequently since.

Edited by Kingsmills

• 4 weeks later...

I was critical of Clarke when we first went to three at the back and it was a hard watch, but all credit, his plan and formation have worked well for us. We are now unbeaten for over a year and have won 8 out of 9 (ok, 2 on penalties but who cares!). When did that last happen!

We deserved to win, but to lose such a late goal and be under the cosh in extra time and then turn it round in the shoot out. Tremendous!

Just watched Ryan holding back tears in his interview. He was man of the match for me, but his interview showed how much it means to the players. That’s good to see.

Now we have a match with England to look forward to!!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

Those of us who have followed the (mis)fortunes of Scotland for many decades know that it’s the hope that kills you, you should never be optimistic. Even when Marshall made that brilliant save of the final penalty, I was half expecting a retake (like the Scotland Women’s team suffered last year).

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Those of us who have followed the (mis)fortunes of Scotland for many decades know that it’s the hope that kills you, you should never be optimistic. Even when Marshall made that brilliant save of the final penalty, I was half expecting a retake (like the Scotland Women’s team suffered last year).

Precisely what was going through my mind too.

Years of negativity ( peculiar to the Scots psyche) haven't helped...failure breeds criticism which leads to further failure,etc etc

Now the cycle is broken, things can improve even more.

If we were a more positive nation who knows what we could achieve...maybe even independence..🤣

9 minutes ago, Satan said:

Years of negativity ( peculiar to the Scots psyche) haven't helped...failure breeds criticism which leads to further failure,etc etc

If we were a more positive nation who knows what we could achieve...maybe even independence..🤣

Indeed we could Satan :smile:

10 minutes ago, Satan said:

I agreed with that....

Until you mentioned independence....

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Satan said:

Years of negativity ( peculiar to the Scots psyche) haven't helped

It’s just realism. How many decades is it since Scotland had any world class players like so many other small nations have had, or a single international class striker?