Scotland

Kingsmills

Just now, Kingsmills said:

You were indeed right to be wary. We will very probably make the play offs but to struggle so badly for so long against a nation with a population broadly similar to that of Inverness does not bode well for our prospects if and when we get there.

And one of their players had a career here with Forfar and Keith!

23 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

(For the avoidance of doubt, I couldn’t find the tongue in cheek smiley)

Credit where it is due though. We have won three of those four games 1-0 so he has been key to us (hopefully) securing second place in the group. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 10:23 PM, Robert said:

Credit where it is due though. We have won three of those four games 1-0 so he has been key to us (hopefully) securing second place in the group. 

Congratulations to Steve Clarke and the lads on qualifying for the play offs.

This Scotland side are still a long way from being world beaters but finishing second in the group is an achievement that looked beyond us only a few months ago but, with five consecutive victories with limited resources, we have clearly made progress.

Can we now go on to take something at Hampden againt a Danish side so far imperious in the group ?

A point on Monday, better still all three, will improve our chances of being one of the seeded teams giving us home advantage against potentially slightly weaker opponents.

A good night tonight but more work to do.

Being a Scotland fan is not quite the ordeal it used to be.

• Agree 1

If that Moldova penalty had not been saved by Gordon and cleared by Tierney, we would have had a typically Scottish nail biting end to the game.

The play offs will be tough as we have a one leg semi, hopefully at home although as Kingsmills says that may require us to take something from Denmark on Monday, then if we win the semi we have an unseeded one leg final.

I enjoyed the game today and we would have won more comfortably with better finishing. It is good to see guys like Patterson and Gilmour doing well. They will be part of our future.  

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Being a Scotland fan is not quite the ordeal it used to be.

Its nice to see us reaching the Euros and now getting into the playoffs ... its not that long ago that our interest in the qualifiers died completely after 2 or 3 matches when we knew we would finish 3rd at best in a group ... Here's hoping we can do well against the Danes and our eventual playoff opponents. 

My dream -- for Scotland to qualify for the 2026 World Cup in USA/Canada/Mexico and for them to be based in Canada and facing Canada (or anyone for that matter) at BMO Field in Toronto!  [no divided loyalties - Kilt and Scotland top are stored for just such an occasion]

• Like 1

I appreciate that Denmark were resting a few but I can't remember when Scotland played as well as that.

Six wins in a row for the first time since Ross Toklely and Grant Munto were in the midst of intimidating strikers the length and bredth of the country.

Seeded and a home match in the play offs where Hampden will be rocking like it hasn't done in years.

Well done lads. You have done the country proud.

A great performance. We bossed the first half and defended excellently when Denmark had us under pressure after the break. What a feeling when the second goal went in.

Tremendous.

Looking at the second placed teams, being seeded is vital. We could have been facing Portugal, Italy or Russia away in the semi.

Hopefully we get a winnable semi when the draw takes place next Friday, and a home game in the final if we win our semi. 

So the 6 seeded teams are : Portugal, Scotland, Italy, Russia, Sweden and Wales . The 6 unseeded teams are : Ukraine, Turkey, Poland, North Macedonia, Austria and Czech Republic . My prediction for the 3 x 4 team groups .... given that these always seem to have some level of political intrigue and regional bias 

• Portugal / Italy / Turkey / North Macedonia - POR-v-TUR, ITA-v-NMA
  • Scotland / Wales / Austria / Czech Republic - SCO-v-AUS, WAL-v-CZR
  • Russia / Sweden / Ukraine / Poland - RUS-v-UKR, SWE-v-POL

Any way you slice and dice it, it will be a hard game or two and other teams may feel they want us as the weakest seed in their group! 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, KennySim93 said:

Tough, but at the same time just about as good as we could have hoped for, barring being at home in the final as well.  Away to Wales in the final would be tasty, but think I'd rather play Austria.

A tough tie and Ukraine will, quite rightly, be favourites but that may well suit us,especially in front of a full house at Hampden.

On 11/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, Scotty said:

So the 6 seeded teams are : Portugal, Scotland, Italy, Russia, Sweden and Wales . The 6 unseeded teams are : Ukraine, Turkey, Poland, North Macedonia, Austria and Czech Republic . My prediction for the 3 x 4 team groups .... given that these always seem to have some level of political intrigue and regional bias 

• Portugal / Italy / Turkey / North Macedonia - POR-v-TUR, ITA-v-NMA
  • Scotland / Wales / Austria / Czech Republic - SCO-v-AUS, WAL-v-CZR
  • Russia / Sweden / Ukraine / Poland - RUS-v-UKR, SWE-v-POL

Any way you slice and dice it, it will be a hard game or two and other teams may feel they want us as the weakest seed in their group! 

and the groups ......

• Portugal / Italy / Turkey / North Macedonia 
  • Scotland / Wales / Austria / Ukraine 
  • Russia / Sweden / Czech Republic / Poland 

So i predicted 10 of 12 teams correctly .... That's pretty much one of the best draws we could have hoped for ...  ties that are winnable .... A victory over Ukraine at Hampden would set us up nicely for another memorable night against the Welsh ....

I remember Archie McPherson's commentary ... but that sent me down a rabbit hole because I thought he had uttered those famous words "Argentina here we come ..." turns out that was Arthur Montford on STV :  Wales 0 Vs Scotland 2 - WATCH THE RARE ARTHUR MONTFORD COMMENTARY. 1977 - YouTube

Now I am in an endless loop of watching Scotland goals !!! Kenny Dalglish scored some crackers but James McFadden against the French, with Gordon McQueen in the SKY newsroom and the Radio Clyde guy going absolutely nuts is my favourite so far ! A slight edge over the Dave Narey 'toepoke'

• 3 weeks later...

Ukraine may and looks like a favorite if we consider only the level of players, but on the other hand, Scotland looks like a much more organized team. And most importantly, the game will take place at Hampden Park, where the fans can be a key advantage.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

There is no wsy the play off against Ukraine will now take place next month.

I would hope that Russia will be expelled from the competition but very much hope that the same fate will not be visited on Ukraine who have done nothing wrong and who are currently fighting fiercely and bravely to defend their sovereignty.

I hope that Fifa give them every opportunity to compete in the play off even if that means a postponement.

If the tie does go ahead it would be great to see the Tartan Army flood Hampden with Ukrainian or combined saltire and Ukrainian flags by way of a show of support and solidarity.

• Agree 4

For once, the decision to hold the World Cup finals in November/December might be useful.  The obvious thing to do would be to postpone the Path A playoffs until after the end-dates of the countries' scheduled domestic seasons - though it's unlikely that Ukraine will complete theirs.  Accommodation and training facilities in Qatar is presumably already reserved for whoever gets through - since those who have already qualified will have booked theirs.

I do hope to God that there isn't some Neanderthal numpty in the SFA who is going to come out next week and insist that either the matches go ahead in March or Ukraine gets disqualified.  Knowing the SFA, I would put money on there being some eejits there who are actually thinking that.

I see that we are also down to play Ukraine in June and September in the UEFA Nations League, so it could be a busy summer!