Scotland

Kingsmills

2 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

For once, the decision to hold the World Cup finals in November/December might be useful.  The obvious thing to do would be to postpone the Path A playoffs until after the end-dates of the countries' scheduled domestic seasons - though it's unlikely that Ukraine will complete theirs.  Accommodation and training facilities in Qatar is presumably already reserved for whoever gets through - since those who have already qualified will have booked theirs.

I do hope to God that there isn't some Neanderthal numpty in the SFA who is going to come out next week and insist that either the matches go ahead in March or Ukraine gets disqualified.  Knowing the SFA, I would put money on there being some eejits there who are actually thinking that.

I see that we are also down to play Ukraine in June and September in the UEFA Nations League, so it could be a busy summer!

I would rather Scotland sctratched from the competition rather than taking advantage of Ukraine's terrible plight by seeking a forfeit.

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I would rather Scotland sctratched from the competition rather than taking advantage of Ukraine's terrible plight by seeking a forfeit.

Yes, I had thought of that, but it wouldn't be fair on the Scotland team.

My choice would be a postponement, in the hope that a genuine Ukraine team could play some time.  Obviously there would have to be a time limit on that.

55 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Russia due to play Poland at the end of March too.  That's not going to happen either.  First action from Fifa should be to kick the Russians out of the competition.  The Russian people need to feel the world's anger and disgust at the actions of their power crazed leader.

Poland, Sweden and the Chech Republic, the nations Russia could potentially face on their way to Qatar  have all now said they would refuse to play.

Time for FIFA and UEFA, and all other international sporting organisations to show some morality and leadership and to expell Russia, Russian clubs and individual Russian athletes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

FIFA usually makes decisions based on money rather than morality.

If they don’t have the balls to make swift decisions like other sporting bodies have done (and even Eurovision!), then it might take pressure from sponsors who will not want their brand name appearing in the same shot as the Russian team.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

According to the BBC, FIFA has told Russia to play upcoming games in neutral territory under the name Football Union of Russia, without their flag or anthem.

That’s shocking and needs to be changed to a ban, otherwise Russia will qualify for the World Cup given the stance rightly taken by Poland, Sweden and the Czech Republic to refuse to play Russia in the play offs.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Robert said:

According to the BBC, FIFA has told Russia to play upcoming games in neutral territory under the name Football Union of Russia, without their flag or anthem.

That’s shocking and needs to be changed to a ban, otherwise Russia will qualify for the World Cup given the stance rightly taken by Poland, Sweden and the Czech Republic to refuse to play Russia in the play offs.

It might be the time for all other nations to tell FIFA where to stick their World Cup and here is a clue :moon02:

This is so wrong from FIFA. If they try to justify this decision in any way then they are far worse and more morally corrupt than I gave them zero credit for already ... 

We should all stand in support of Poland, Sweden and the Czechs in their current playoff scenario … Also, if the game against Ukraine goes ahead in Glasgow next month - which I doubt - then I think as a nation we should forego the lion rampant or saltire and every home supporter should wave a Ukrainian flag (or perhaps a blue and yellow saltire). It may not be much, but 50,000 tartan army members creating an atmosphere like only the tartan army can, sends a message of solidarity to Ukrainians. 

Dniprovskyi
(Flag of Solomianskyi District (Kyiv City, Ukraine)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

FIFA are craven and this is not nearly a strong enough response.

There is considerable Russian influence and money within both FIFA and UEFA which is why Russia have recently hosted a World Cup and have been allocated so many major European finals.

They are seeking to adopt the model of the IOC imposed for cheating at sport.

In my view, that is not even adequate for these doping offences, it is certainly not anywhere near adequate for an unprovoked invasion of a nation causing thousands of deaths and injuries already and hundreds of thousands to lose there homes.

Several nations, including England, have now said they will not play Russia anywhere under any circumstances.

At the time of posting, the SFA have been silent. I hope that changes and very soon. The whole football world needs to stand with our brothers and sisters in Ukraine.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

At the time of posting, the SFA have been silent. I hope that changes and very soon. The whole football world needs to stand with our brothers and sisters in Ukraine.

They have now come out and said they will not "play against Russia at ANY level". This follows England and Wales who said they would not play them. 

At last FIFA has confirmed that Russia will be excluded from the play offs with Poland getting a bye to the final. They are also being kicked out of the Women’s tournament this summer and their one remaining club in Europe is being kicked out too.

Hopefully actions like this, along with the sanctions, make the normal Russian people realise the mistruths they are told by their media and pressure starts to build within Russia on Putin. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Robert said:

At last FIFA has confirmed that Russia will be excluded from the play offs with Poland getting a bye to the final. They are also being kicked out of the Women’s tournament this summer and their one remaining club in Europe is being kicked out too.

Hopefully actions like this, along with the sanctions, make the normal Russian people realise the mistruths they are told by their media and pressure starts to build within Russia on Putin. 

It is a start but should remain firmly in place for as long as Russia is occupying Ukraine, and the enclaces of Moldova for that matter, including the areas illegally occupied in 2014.

Time to stand up to tryrants.

Now that both FIFA and UEFA have set a long overdue precedent by sanctioning nations and their clubs for gross breaches of international law and, in particular, illegal occupation of territory surely it's time to look at taking action against Israel who have, according to numerous UN resolutions been in illegal occupation of territory not belonging to them for decades.

Ukraine play-off in Scotland could be delayed to allow team World Cup chance

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/01/ukraine-play-off-in-scotland-could-be-delayed-to-allow-team-world-cup-chance

"The Scottish Football Association wrote to its Ukrainian counterpart this week offering support and is willing to accommodate any arrangement that would allow the match to take place."

Pleased to see that from the SFA.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Ukraine play-off in Scotland could be delayed to allow team World Cup chance

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/01/ukraine-play-off-in-scotland-could-be-delayed-to-allow-team-world-cup-chance

"The Scottish Football Association wrote to its Ukrainian counterpart this week offering support and is willing to accommodate any arrangement that would allow the match to take place."

Pleased to see that from the SFA.

Well done to the Scottish football authorities.

It's not always that they get it right but they have done absolutely the right thing on this occasion 🏴󠁧.

Our play off match with Ukraine has been postponed. Undoubtedly the correct decision.

Russia is appealing the FIFA decision to exclude them, but the IPC have thankfully revisited yesterday’s fudge and kicked out the Russian athletes. 

I was a bit premature with the post above, but now confirmed it is postponed and a statement is expected from FIFA later.

Some of the Ukrainian squad have joined the defence of their country.

If is horrific watching and hearing what is going on. I just hope and pray that a resolution is found quickly without further deaths, and which involves Putin being seen to have lost. It is hard to see that outcome any time soon sadly. 

Scotland are playing a friendly against Poland on 24 March, the day we should have been playing Ukraine and they would have been playing Russia.

£10 from each ticket is being donated to UNICEF to help Ukraine. 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, Robert said:

Scotland are playing a friendly against Poland on 24 March, the day we should have been playing Ukraine and they would have been playing Russia.

£10 from each ticket is being donated to UNICEF to help Ukraine. 

A great gesture. Hopefully, a large crowd and a sea of Ukrainian flags.

• 2 months later...

A reality check for us tonight after the disappointment of being well beaten by Ukraine last week.

To lose 3-0 to a struggling Republic of Ireland, with a very poor performance, was a bad way to head towards the end of tbe season.

To have any hope in this group, we must win in Armenia, and we will then need to overcome Ukraine, which at present looks unlikely. 

Edited by Robert