Scotland

Kingsmills

18 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Just when you think there might be grounds for optimism, Scotland, well and truly, revert to being Scotland.

In a rapidly changing world it's good to know there's always something we can rely on 😕 

• Funny 2

Just had a look at tonight’s scores: England getting humped 4-0 at home by Hungary!

We can enjoy that at least tonight!

I didn’t watch the Scotland game but it sounds like we were poor until they had a player sent off but then secured a comfortable win.

To win the group, it looks like we will need to beat the Irish and take four points from the two games against Ukraine, which currently looks a tall order!

Edited by Robert

Speaking as an Englishman, I didn't enjoy that at all.  Biggest home defeat since 1928 and just such a turgid and uninspired performance.  It was so bad it makes you wonder whether England have recruited John Hughes to advise on tactics.  I enjoyed the cricket though.

58 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Speaking as an Englishman, I didn't enjoy that at all.  Biggest home defeat since 1928 and just such a turgid and uninspired performance.  It was so bad it makes you wonder whether England have recruited John Hughes to advise on tactics.  I enjoyed the cricket though.

I quite enjoyed both.

• 3 months later...

Didn’t see that coming!

Pity we didn’t play like that when we lost in June but we are in with a chance in this group, which looked unlikely when the Irish battered us.

A win on Saturday is needed then if we avoid defeat in Krakow we are in the play offs.

I enjoyed that tonight. Well done to Clarke and the team (and maybe stick with 4 2 3 1!!). 

England relegated to group B tonight so if, and it’s a very big if, we avoid defeat in our last two games we will be in a higher grouping than the Auld Enemy.

Even if we fail, we could face them in the next Nations League tournament.

How the mighty have fallen. 

A second half turnaround, with Ryan Christie getting the winner from the spot, leaves us top of the group.

Can we get at least the point we need against Ukraine on Tuesday? I think we can, although we’ve lost McTominay to suspension and may have some injury doubts.

If we can win the group, we get promoted to the A groups as England go down to the B groups, and also get a second chance at qualification for the next Euros if we can’t do it through the group stage.

Just a pity the game will only be shown on Premier Sports. 

Edited by Robert

Well done to Clarke and his squad. 7 points from 3 difficult games. A group win, promotion to the top tier, a place with the second seeds for the Euro draw, and a Euro play off spot if we don’t qualify automatically.

A good job well done, and a bit of a tonic in these troubled times.

I know we will struggle in Pool A next time round, but it’s good to get there, particularly with the Auld Enemy getting relegated to Pool B. 

Wasn’t pretty tonight and we rode our luck a few times, but great to get a draw and keep a clean sheet with so many defensive players missing (Robertson, Tierney, McKenna, Paterson, McTominay, Cooper, Hanley)

With this Nations League thing, we’ve finally found a tournament we are good at!

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...

What a result tonight!

Who’d have thought McTominay would be our goal scoring hero.

Being 5 points ahead of Norway could be vital as we look to finish in the top 2.

Well done to all in the squad and to Steve Clarke. 

• Agree 2

Norway away and Georgia at home in June. Four points from those and maybe, just maybe, we will be in the running for automatic qualification.

But we are Scotland so anything can happen.

It feels good tonight though!!

• 2 months later...

The only thing better than a late winner is an undeserved late winner! Absolute scenes in our house (all the more because the missus had stuck a bet on 2-1).

This was all after I had spent 85 minutes thinking my decision to cave in and pay for Viaplay was a bad one!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to hear that Craig Brown has died. I always felt his contribution was underrated given that we regularly qualified for tournaments during his tenure.

I’m sure he was proud of our recent performances.

Scotland has lost one of the good guys.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 2

• 2 months later...

A few years ago who’s have believed that we could be within 2 points (or any points dropped by Norway and Georgia) of successfully qualifying for a major tournament with 3 games still to play (without relying on the Nations League).

11 wins on the spin in qualifiers. A goal machine in Scott McTominay. A great Manager in Steve Clark (and I admit I was a doubter initially).

Now all we need is Scotland to beat South Africa in the Rugby World Cup and Caley Thistle win tomorrow and it will be the perfect weekend!

Edited by Robert

10 hours ago, Robert said:

Now all we need is Scotland to beat South Africa in the Rugby World Cup and Caley Thistle win tomorrow and it will be the perfect weekend!

Sadly though, the sporting fairies can only grant one wish per weekend and we’ve used ours up.

11 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Sadly though, the sporting fairies can only grant one wish per weekend and we’ve used ours up.

Friday: tick, but as expected with the current Scotland team.

Saturday: cross, also expected with the current ICT team.

Sunday: maybe, anything is possible with the current Scotland rugby squad. Here’s hoping!

• 1 month later...

Yes Robert it's good news and you are right Steve Clarke has done a great job building the young players into a good team to get to Germany next year :clapping:

It's also good to see a thread started by Kingsmill still going strong :smile: 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

It’s great to qualify and to have an interest in the build up to the tournament over the next 8 months or so.

I was walking up and down a beach in Mexico today trying to get mobile reception to follow the score, it was a nice moment when I got confirmation it was full time.

• Like 1