Inverness CT -V- Alloa

Scotty

Chuffed to get that win, sounds like the lads had a very good 79 minutes and then switched off letting Alloa get back into it.

Like Fraz says I hope Robbo gives them a boot up the arse so they stay focused in the final 20 minutes.

Hopefully we can hold onto third!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, BallisticSheriff said:

Chuffed to get that win, sounds like the lads had a very good 79 minutes and then switched off letting Alloa get back into it.

Like Fraz says I hope Robbo gives them a boot up the arse so they stay focused in the final 20 minutes.

Hopefully we can hold onto third!

3rd or 4th doesn't really matter.  As I understand it we would still have to win 3 ties to gain promotion. Only by getting to 2nd would we have fewer ties to win to go up.  But, of course, from a confidence point of view, 3rd might give us a small edge over 4th.

Anyway, we seem to be on a bit of a roll now, so let's hope it continues for another couple of months.

39 minutes ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

3rd or 4th doesn't really matter. 

From the point of view of playoff matches, you are right.

The difference in prize money last season between 3rd and 4th was around £70K. 

Every little helps.  If 3rd, presumably there would be a little more in bonuses to pay out.  But after that, there could be enough left for another player, or for work on the pitch.

• Like 1

Very good performance last night for 80 mins or so , we look confident and all players seem to playing for each other. The two lads Rooney and McHattie who were re introduced to the team slotted in well.

Solid all over the park and that’s now six wins in the last 7 games , we are on a roll , but as like many times before we concede two goals which means we need 3 to win.

However we shouldn’t let this ruin which was otherwise a very good performance and result and the players have grown into a team.

Im feeling very confident going into the latter part of the season.

• Like 1

To be fair to Robbo, he has to juggle with a quite small squad to play 4 games in a short space of time. Last night we were outstanding for 80 minutes. Real high tempo but an injury to Welch created a need for change. Aaron had run his socks off. The sub changes then let Alloa back in the game. However, we just survived. What is evident about this season, is that we learn game by game, so I expect a more composed 90 to 95 minutes on Saturday. That game is very very important to us. Win that and it puts significant pressure on Dunfermline. Regardless of the nervous end to last night's game, let us really get behind the team Saturday. They are really playing some great football for most parts of games at present. 

• Like 3

What pleased me about the performance last night was the way we played as a team.  For the bulk of the game there was good movement and passing when we had the ball and good pressing of the opposition when we didn't.  We were dominant and had our shooting been a bit better we would have had 3 or 4 by half time.  But we were not as sharp after the break and allowed Alloa some hope. The third goal should have snuffed that hope out and seen us comfortably see the game out.  We had been in complete control in midfield with Chalmers, Welsh and Doran all having excellent games. but their departure completely changed the midfield dynamic allowing Alloa back in.  Accepting that Welsh's substitution was enforced, it is still a bit of a worry that we didn't adapt better, didn't show a bit more composure and that some players didn't up their work rate  in order to see the game out safely without conceding.  Goal difference may well be important at the end of the season, yet at the end of the game we were all mightily relieved to hear the final whistle.  Let's hope Welsh's  injury is not serious because he is growing into his role well and is becoming increasingly important to the team.

Just a word on Alloa.  They may be bottom but at least they try to play good attacking football.  None of the hoof and hope for them. They tried to get the ball down and play a passing game and often did that very effectively. 

• Like 2

?

Very disappointed in Alloa last night, after  conceding the second they seemed to roll over, not pressing the ball or trying to construct anything of note.

Apart from some half chances (better teams might have scored) they only entered the game in any meaninfful sense after we slackened off and they won their pen.

What followed was rather worrying in that if they had more time they would have pegged us back. 

Falkirk won't be as bad as they were. 

A bit squeaky bum time near the end but that was of our own making. Stupid penalty to give away and a hugely deflected shot made the score seem worse than it really was. To be honest, I don't care how we win games until the end of the season as long as we win and fans will need to accept that. I'd rather we win ugly than lose games. If we win 1-0 in all our remaining games with last minute goals we will have done something special so let's just win each game and not criticise the performance of the team too much.

Forres Jags-- how could I give you a "take" when I wasn't there.? :furtive:

John R gives his "take" in his after -the -match video and explains all in one phrase. "They all switched off after 75 minutes".

Still, why John? If you are the Manager and it's not the first time (apparently) that this has happened what did you instruct the players  to do and feel after the first occurrence?

On 3/27/2019 at 8:00 AM, Caley Mad In Berks said:

3rd or 4th doesn't really matter.  As I understand it we would still have to win 3 ties to gain promotion. Only by getting to 2nd would we have fewer ties to win to go up.  But, of course, from a confidence point of view, 3rd might give us a small edge over 4th.

Anyway, we seem to be on a bit of a roll now, so let's hope it continues for another couple of months.

Third place would give us home advantage in the second leg of the first play off round which probably gives a slight edge.

A good and professional first 75 minutes or so with the last quarter of an hour being a timely wake up call that we need to concentrate and focus from first whistle to last if promotion is to be realised.

All in all a very satisfactory evening putting a wee bit of daylight between ourselves and the Pars. Need to consolidate now against a stubborn Falkirk side still dangerous opponents while battling against the drop.

Finally, a word of praise for the officials, there has been some dreadful refereeing this season but I thought that Tuesday's referee was very competent indeed.

5 minutes ago, jed5697 said:

Awaiting result of scan but at moment looking like Welsh out for rest of the season ?

That's really bad news.  Let's hope for his sake and that of the team that it is not as bad as feared.  He's been playing pretty well recently. At least having Walsh back is a plus.  We have a pretty small squad and we need key players staying injury and suspension free.

Chalmers doesn't have the energy, bite or aggression to play the same role as Welsh. The reason for our better form of late has been the emergence of a fully fit Welsh. I fear now for what may come. A central midfield of Chalmers and Trafford strikes of a Scotland midfield in Kazakhstan which fails to make 10 tackles. Welsh is the closest thing we had to filling draper's boots. 

You're comparing the holding pair of Chalmers & Trafford of the attacking Armstrong, McGregor & McMinn? Really?

Trafford can break up the play with a tackle or two, he's improved with game time although he fades second half.

Chalmers is more effective central  or on the left, it's quite a fad to play people on their opposite side but with someone as one footed as Chalmers it's very limiting.

Sure we can't replace like for like with our squad, but we have to adapt our game according to who we have available or our balloon will get burst very quickly. Starting Saturday. 

• Like 1

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic