New CEO Appointed

WYNESS101

My views on this topic are very similar to Kingsmills but I sincerely hope our selection process was robust and our new CEO succeeds where others have failed. Good luck (I think you will need evry bit of it).

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 1

Don't always agree with you caleyboy but you are spot on for this. Give the guy a chance before making some of the ridiculous comments already posted on here.

As for paying £35k for players Satan, our gates and finances dictate that we shouldn't even be paying that. Where do we find the money to spend more as you appear to be suggesting.

I do really despair about some of our fans understanding of the economics of the football environment that ICT operate  in.

• Like 1

Not suggesting anything, merely pointing out - you get what you pay for. 

35k isn't a massive amount  and I'm sure some of our squad are probably on less, Christ knows what OFW is on, and I'm sure Polworth has a good contract which is why he's leaving.

You do know it's players wages not buying players , don't you?

Some have questioned whether a club of our size actually needs a CEO.  My answer to that is that it all depends on whether the club wants to grow and compete at the top level of Scottish football or whether we are content to be an average 2nd tier side with more chance of going down than up.  The separation of the day to day management of the club from the strategic oversight of the Board is an important one.  It allows those doing the day to day work to be properly accountable to the Board in a way which is not possible if Chairman and other directors are taking the responsibility for managing their own strategy.  That works fine for a small, part time enterprise but not for a business where there is work going on on a number of fronts.  

I feel pretty positive about this appointment.  Scot Gardiner brings a wealth of high level football experience to the club and, to me, his appointment demonstrates some considerable ambition on behalf of the Board.  Not only does he have high level relevant experience to do the job and help other staff in doing theirs, but that experience should be invaluable to the Board in providing advice and information which will help the Board in formulating the strategic aims of the club.

Of course, Mr Gardiner's appointment will not come cheap and we are a club in a difficult financial position.  There will, therefore be an expectation that his contribution to the club pays his way and makes a positive contribution to the club's balance sheet.  Hopefully ,as a football man, he can earn the trust and respect of those associated with the club in a way in which the previous CEO unfortunately could not.   If he can, then this may well be a pivotal moment in the club's development.  As we celebrate a successful first 25 years of the club, I sense the club is developing a more business like approach to the business of football.  Of course we want to spend more money on the footballing side of things, but without a solid business structure embedded in the community the club simply won't generate the resource to do that.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

Some have questioned whether a club of our size actually needs a CEO.  My answer to that is that it all depends on whether the club wants to grow and compete at the top level of Scottish football or whether we are content to be an average 2nd tier side with more chance of going down than up.  The separation of the day to day management of the club from the strategic oversight of the Board is an important one.  It allows those doing the day to day work to be properly accountable to the Board in a way which is not possible if Chairman and other directors are taking the responsibility for managing their own strategy.  That works fine for a small, part time enterprise but not for a business where there is work going on on a number of fronts.  

I feel pretty positive about this appointment.  Scot Gardiner brings a wealth of high level football experience to the club and, to me, his appointment demonstrates some considerable ambition on behalf of the Board.  Not only does he have high level relevant experience to do the job and help other staff in doing theirs, but that experience should be invaluable to the Board in providing advice and information which will help the Board in formulating the strategic aims of the club.

Of course, Mr Gardiner's appointment will not come cheap and we are a club in a difficult financial position.  There will, therefore be an expectation that his contribution to the club pays his way and makes a positive contribution to the club's balance sheet.  Hopefully ,as a football man, he can earn the trust and respect of those associated with the club in a way in which the previous CEO unfortunately could not.   If he can, then this may well be a pivotal moment in the club's development.  As we celebrate a successful first 25 years of the club, I sense the club is developing a more business like approach to the business of football.  Of course we want to spend more money on the footballing side of things, but without a solid business structure embedded in the community the club simply won't generate the resource to do that.

... the successful 25 years you are quoting DD relate ONLY to FOOTBALL and not to infrastructure, business model or finances.

"expectation that his contribution to the club pays his way and makes a positive contribution to the club's balance sheet." Yes this is essential and must be monitored closely and regularly 

He must also evaluate everyones jobs to see if they are absolutey necessary because financially we can't carry passengers. 

• Agree 3

Good to see an appointment who has no links to existing or previous board members. Will hopefully have lots of ideas and contacts to generate new income / investment for the club.

Time will tell if it is a good appointment but he has far more experience than our previous CEO (and the board).

Lets back the guy rather than looking for reasons to dismiss him before he has started.

• Agree 5

2 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

Of course, Mr Gardiner's appointment will not come cheap and we are a club in a difficult financial position.  There will, therefore be an expectation that his contribution to the club pays his way and makes a positive contribution to the club's balance sheet.  Hopefully ,as a football man, he can earn the trust and respect of those associated with the club in a way in which the previous CEO unfortunately could not.   If he can, then this may well be a pivotal moment in the club's development.  

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

"expectation that his contribution to the club pays his way and makes a positive contribution to the club's balance sheet." Yes this is essential and must be monitored closely and regularly 

I agree with the sentiment ... perhaps my question would have been better phrased by saying can we afford a CEO? ..... although I know the counter argument to that is can we afford NOT to have a CEO !  Time will tell. I think Caleyboy hit the nail on the head with his comment ..... if he saves or generates more money than he costs then its a win for all concerned. There is no doubt we all want him to succeed because if he does, we all do.  

As I said in my earlier post, I personally will judge him based on what he does and not what he did or did not do before. His CV is certainly impressive, but then again, they are supposed to be !  If he can engage with all the stakeholders, from fans, to staff, to sponsors to shareholders and directors and figure out how to get more bums on seats and less cash down the drain (and I am not talking about contracts here) then he will do well. I hope he does.  

As we celebrate a successful first 25 years of the club, I sense the club is developing a more business like approach to the business of football.  Of course we want to spend more money on the footballing side of things, but without a solid business structure embedded in the community the club simply won't generate the resource to do that.

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

... the successful 25 years you are quoting DD relate ONLY to FOOTBALL and not to infrastructure, business model or finances.

Got to agree with that. Off the park we have - at times - been an unmitigated disaster despite the best efforts of an extremely hard working but small team of employees and volunteers. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

He probably needs to be careful about where, in Inverness, he goes for a haircut.

Word is he commutes from Edinburgh and we put him up in a hotel during the week so no problem with a barber. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

I am hoping that that is a temporary measure pending finding somewhere to live in the Inverness area.

Otherwise, it suggests a worrying lack of commitment.

Also a large expense becausebim quite sure on top of his wage we will be paying those travel expenses and footing hotel bills.