The ICT Identity

Northern_jaggie

John Robertson has assembled a team that has exceeded all expectations we’ve had this season in my opinion, given where we have come from. With us being in a Scottish Cup semi final and in contention for a playoff place, who could ask for more. 

On reflection, he has achieved more than that in fielding a bunch of lads who are hungry to prove a point whilst trying to identify with the fans based on the character of the player on show.

Our lads who started last weekend are from:

Mark Ridgers: Inverness lad

Shaun Rooney: Bellshill

Coll Donaldson: Edinburgh

Carl Tremarco: Liverpool

Kevin McHattie: Glenrothes

Tom Walsh: Irvine

Joe Chalmers: Glasgow

Liam Polworth: Inverness lad

Aaron Doran: County Cork

Nathan Austin: Hertfordshire 

Jordan White: Bellshill

It struck me from the interviews posted on the ICT FC facebook page that we have a predominantly Scottish team on our books. The team dont resemble the ‘journeyman’ tag we might have had in the past. Whilst some might favour the ‘diversity’ tag line, on reflection, I thought that our squad list was one that certainly doesn’t feel ‘alien’ to us as a team and one that fits with Robbos ambition to establish an ICT identity.

Do you identify with this team and ultimately the brand & identity Robbo is establishing? I for one definitely do. 

To be fair, in the past, we haven't exactly had a ton of non Scottish players in the ranks. Hell, we haven't had as many Englishmen as one would think.

From memory, our teamsheets have mostly been Scottish and English, maybe a dotting of Irish/Northern Irish and Welsh players. And maybe a handful of players from out with the British Isles.

Comparing the squad to previous squads, such as Yogi's 2014-15 squad, there's a glaring difference of origins of the players. But it does show that Scottish players shouldn't be cast aside. Looking at the Prem, there's only maybe two or three clubs with a majority Scottish side.

But I also do see why he's gone for a mostly Scottish side. Had he tried to draft in players from England or elsewhere, he'd be paying more, as the players would want more to make it worth their while.

Though it's unfortunate at the lack of new foreign players to the club, and introducing them to a new world of football, it's still a worthy compromise to keep wages low.

While, from a practical and economic point of view, it would be great to have more players come through our youth system and establish themselves in the first team personally, I don't care where our players come from or what their background as long as they are fully committed when they are are with us.

What's kingsmills said. I see the identity of not based on origin but on characteristics. Players who are committed and honest by giving 100% for themselves and their team mates. Team spirit has been often mentioned by former players. I think the fact most players aren't from here adds to it. They become a football family rather than having their own family around. They are young guys away from home and rely on each other. Robbo has got the team very close to this, I still feel a couple of players shirk a bit when the going gets tough but the majority dig deep. I feel the additions of McCart and Welsh this season have really helped this. This have added grit and determination in key areas of the pitch.

I agree with Kingsmills, also can't say that I have thought about it anytime as identifying with the team whenever it has been or whatever team it has been.

I think that most people grow and build up an affinity towards a certain first team or squad of players through how well they do or how they progress. Point in case being this season where we have been hugely constrained so have had to work with a small squad which has gradually as the season went on got better and better, introduced their own style, become grittier and more determined.

Same can be said for the team that Terry Butcher put together when he took us back up to the SPL in 2009/2010 and then the John Hughes team that won the Scottish Cup/finished third in the league. Older fans will note other teams/squads before that I'm sure.

For me it's always peaks and troughs and I don't think any supporter or fan can truly say they have held an identity or affinity towards their club or team all the time.

I think the identity of the team has been as an attacking , attractive footballing side in most of its 25 years, blending experience and youth which has been great to see. Still fairly attacking minded but limited personnel wise by financial restrictions of late...

I think (biased?) we've nearly always signed honest professional's, can't think of too many idiots or time wasters.

Also I think the team/management & staff are seen in quite a positive light compared to the rest of the club which has at times been a basket case and sets the ICT brand back time and time again.

A team to be proud of, a club that sometimes makes you hang your head.

Still young though, still time.