Hearts -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

13 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

That is bad.  I just checked the rules, and, yes, they give a medal or souvenir to "each of the players, to each of such substitutes as are eligible, the Manager or Head Coach and to the match officials, in the Final Tie".  That last bit is the key - only those involved in the Final get anything.

In contrast, each team in the English cup final receives 40 medals, to distribute as they see fit.

We discussed it at the time and it really is a horrible policy the SFA have.  The English system is way better although 40 medals seems a bit OTT.  You don't win a final if you haven't won your ties in the previous rounds. and there are likely to several players who featured in previous rounds but not the final.  There are also many unsung heroes behind the scenes, for instance, it is not just the manager / head coach does the work in getting the team to play as they do, other members of the coaching staff have a vital role to play as do staff such as the physios who may have worked miracles to get certain players match fit.  The team is bigger than just the players on the park.

13 hours ago, Gringo said:

Just one question - there were six substitutions in the second half and a couple of stoppages for injuries but...only 1 minute added. It wouldn't have made a difference to the result of course but could you imagine if that happened in a game involving 'them'.

There was a bit of bemused laughter when that was announced.  Poor Carl alone took the best part of a minute to hobble off from one side of the park to the other - my hands were sore from clapping him all the way off!  I can't remember a game when there has been as little as just one minute added time.  Maybe the BBC needed the extra time for analysis of the 3 given goals and the disallowed goal.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:49 PM, the cat said:

we were so unlucky with the free kick and mcart goal   

Unlucky with the goal, yes. Chalmers' free kick was a cracking strike dealt with by a terrific save, that's all. No luck about it.

It did miff me that after the game the BBC online stats had Caley with no shots on target. Chalmers' certainly was.

Never have ICT had so little skill, leadership or fight.  The worst performance by far in any ' big'  match I have seen going back to the 1990s (cup match v Dundee Utd)

The match was never a contest : the first half in particular was all about about keeping Hearts at bay.

Very difficult  (impossible) to take any positives.

• Disagree 3

6 minutes ago, DWH said:

Never have ICT had so little skill, leadership or fight.  The worst performance by far in any ' big'  match I have seen going back to the 1990s (cup match v Dundee Utd)
The match was never a contest : the first half in particular was all about about keeping Hearts at bay.
Very difficult  (impossible) to take any positives.

I would disagree ..... 

The first half was indeed about keeping Hearts at bay but we did play some nice football too even if we had little or no end product. We were the underdogs and with all due respect to our squad, it showed. If that free-kick from Chalmers had gone in - and it wasnt far away - then it might have been our spirits that got lifted, and the end story could have been different ... but once Ikpeazu scored it was the Jambos who got a lift and the rest as they say is history. Our heads went down after that and we conceded the second and third.  I thought Walsh and Rooney were poor but other than that I would give pass marks to the rest. Jake Mulraney had an excellent game for them (unfortunately) and this and the strength of Ikpeazu were the two biggest factors for me.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I would disagree ..... 

The first half was indeed about keeping Hearts at bay but we did play some nice football too even if we had little or no end product. We were the underdogs and with all due respect to our squad, it showed. If that free-kick from Chalmers had gone in - and it wasnt far away - then it might have been our spirits that got lifted, and the end story could have been different ... but once Ikpeazu scored it was the Jambos who got a lift and the rest as they say is history. Our heads went down after that and we conceded the second and third.  I thought Walsh and Rooney were poor but other than that I would give pass marks to the rest. Jake Mulraney had an excellent game for them (unfortunately) and this and the strength of Ikpeazu were the two biggest factors for me.  

Sorry I have to disagree totally, and take no pleasure from it.

In past seasons, no matter what division ICT were in, or who they were up against, I always felt we were in the match and capable of scoring and getting a result. 

That feeling was very absent on Saturday. If I hadn't had one of my sons and  two of his friends with me, I'd have walked out long before the end.

1 hour ago, DWH said:

In past seasons, no matter what division ICT were in, or who they were up against, I always felt we were in the match and capable of scoring and getting a result. 

That feeling was very absent on Saturday. If I hadn't had one of my sons and  two of his friends with me, I'd have walked out long before the end.

I just think it showed the gap between a top half Championship team and a top 6 premiership one tbh. 

I personally enjoyed my day despite the result and I am grateful we got so far. 

• Agree 4

1 minute ago, old caley girl said:

I just think it showed the gap between a top half Championship team and a top 6 premiership one tbh. 

I personally enjoyed my day despite the result and I am grateful we got so far. 

I get that but as I said in past seasons, when we were always very much the underdogs (against Hearts at Tynecastle and Motherwell at Fir Park for example ), we could always put up a fight with the 'bigger team. That was sadly never the case on Saturday.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DWH said:

I've never been to a game and had any thoughts about leaving the game early, I'm there to support my team no matter what and to stand and clap them off the pitch at the end. I understand people's frustration and possible anger at performances but the last thing players need to see is supporters/fans leaving in droves. 

At the fore front of your mind should have been to at least show some appreciation that the team actually got that far in the first place and take pride from that.

This goes for any supporter of any team by the way, I'm not purposefully singling you out.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

I've never been to a game and had any thoughts about leaving the game early, I'm there to support my team no matter what and to stand and clap them off the pitch at the end. I understand people's frustration and possible anger at performances but the last thing players need to see is supporters/fans leaving in droves. 

At the fore front of your mind should have been to at least show some appreciation that the team actually got that far in the first place and take pride from that.

This goes for any supporter of any team by the way, I'm not purposefully singling you out.

Fair play : yes, I guess I am both pretty angry and frustrated at the relatively low level of expectation I now have from attending (admittedly not that many) matches over the last three seasons.

27 minutes ago, DWH said:

Fair play : yes, I guess I am both pretty angry and frustrated at the relatively low level of expectation I now have from attending (admittedly not that many) matches over the last three seasons.

Many teams bigger than ourselves have faltered at a semi-final stage and fans left disappointed but it needs to be kept in context.

We've said it before and we'll say it again on here that we are where we are and nothing that's happened before will change that, there's nothing wrong with having a lower expectation level but on this occasion I think you, and everyone else associated with the club, can be very proud of our run in the Scottish Cup this season.

Personally I think we just ran out of steam against a team who had a far better physical presence than we possess and it showed from set pieces. Out with those moments of play and the penalty I'm struggling to remember them really threatening us. They did however counter our threats much better than we did of there's and that's from just being players of better quality. 

It mustn't be forgotten that we have a relatively young team/squad with only a couple of seasoned pro's so it'll all add to their experience and they'll learn from it as has been shown across the whole season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrCaleyjag said:

Many teams bigger than ourselves have faltered at a semi-final stage and fans left disappointed but it needs to be kept in context.

We've said it before and we'll say it again on here that we are where we are and nothing that's happened before will change that, there's nothing wrong with having a lower expectation level but on this occasion I think you, and everyone else associated with the club, can be very proud of our run in the Scottish Cup this season.

Personally I think we just ran out of steam against a team who had a far better physical presence than we possess and it showed from set pieces. Out with those moments of play and the penalty I'm struggling to remember them really threatening us. They did however counter our threats much better than we did of there's and that's from just being players of better quality. 

It mustn't be forgotten that we have a relatively young team/squad with only a couple of seasoned pro's so it'll all add to their experience and they'll learn from it as has been shown across the whole season. 

Whats to be proud of? Had any team we met beaten us other than County it would have been considered a shock result at our expense.

• Like 1

I never had a good feeling about this game before the match. I said to my son that my prediction was 3-0 to Hearts (wish I had put money on it now!), and my son's was 2-1 to ICT. In the game as a whole, I thought we were second to most balls,  didn't show enough belief in taking on a low confidence Hearts team and the old problem of lack of a cutting edge. The thing is that we are victims of our own success. We have had teams in the past where our players could pull a result out of the hat, and we would always have a spell where we could cause an upset, and now our expectations,  since we won the Scottish Cup, exceed our ability. Saying that, at the start of the season, being in the semi final of the cup and securing (almost there) a playoff place, seemed to me to be shooting for the moon, so fair play to Robbo and the team for achieving all they have. The stark fact is that we have a good first 11, and just don't have the strength in depth to handle injuries and suspensions. I was surprised that Robbo didn't give one of the young lads the experience of a few minutes on the pitch of a Scottish Cup semi final at Hampden, as the game was already gone, instead of bringing on Austin. These young players are the future of the club, and I would have thought at least one of them that were on the bench would have got some game time in the dying embers of the game.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

Whats to be proud of? Had any team we met beaten us other than County it would have been considered a shock result at our expense.

So it would have been a shock if Dundee Utd had beaten us? The team played well for the most part. Like other folk have said the better team won. The team gave it their best shot. Nothing for them to feel down about. It's over now playoffs are the goal let's secure them tonight.

• Agree 6

Couldn't make the match and only saw some of the second half in a pub in Edinburgh, ironically in the company of an Edinburgh City supporter who was willing us to win as well.

In the end, the better team won but 3-0 flattered Hearts. Other than the goals, they offered as much as us in front of goal, from what I saw, which was very little. For us to have got through, we needed to get the bit of luck we needed and that didn't happen on the day. My only real complaint is around the offside goal. I always thought that officials had to be sure before giving a decision and the attacking team got the benefit of any decision. While it was difficult to pick up the fact McCart was not offside with repeated TV replays, that only highlights the fact that there was no way the linesman could be 100% sure McCart was offside and should not have given the decision. In my opinion that is really poor officiating and the media seem to have made little of us. Imagine if it had happened to Rangers or Celtic, we would never hear the end of it.

Finally, to those who complain about a lack of fight/heart on Saturday, what if we had showed more of it (and I don't believe we lacked fight or heart for a minute) and still got beat 3-0, would that have made the result easier to take, I don't think so.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic