What we need in transfer market to improve.

CaleyTennis

Looking ahead to next season, regardless of the league we are in, today and most of this season has shown that we need to improve in areas of the park so the priorities in the next transfer market has to be defenders, especially centre half and right back.  I think we probably also need a striker as well, preferably one that scores regularly. 

To be honest, this also depends on who stays or goes because players like Donaldson, Polworth and Doran will be linked away. 

Niko Hämäläinen, MF/DF

22 y/o, American/Finnish and in the Finnish national team, making 1 appearance.

Currently playing for QPR, and been there since the time of Coll, so could link up with him.

Made minimal appearances for QPR (3 league overall), Dag and Red, and Los Angeles FC (the last two are ones he's been on loan to) and has made 6 league appearances over all club's he's played for.

I think he could be a decent player, and cheap too if we play the cards right. Or if not, a loan.

Hopefully the board take a look at him, as if he's good enough to have been called up to the Finnish National Team, he must be decent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niko_Hämäläinen

51 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Niko Hämäläinen, MF/DF

22 y/o, American/Finnish and in the Finnish national team, making 1 appearance.

Currently playing for QPR, and been there since the time of Coll, so could link up with him.

Made minimal appearances for QPR (3 league overall), Dag and Red, and Los Angeles FC (the last two are ones he's been on loan to) and has made 6 league appearances over all club's he's played for.

I think he could be a decent player, and cheap too if we play the cards right. Or if not, a loan.

Hopefully the board take a look at him, as if he's good enough to have been called up to the Finnish National Team, he must be decent.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niko_Hämäläinen

His wage at QPR will be more than we payed players in the premiership.

3 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Possibly. But as he has played so few games, there could be a potential that he's played a low wage.

We are paying around £400 a week for players now not the 2-3000 we used to be. He could go to a lesser league in England and still get paid more than that plus not moving to the other end of the country. This is unfortunately the biggest issue we have when recruiting our location.

Edited by MorayJaggie

I think if we can keep the defence as is, we need a strong presence in midfield.

As much as I hate to admit it, we do miss the strength in midfield that Vigurs, and to a certain extent, Tansey brought. 

We also need someone up front that doesn’t freeze like a rabbit in the headlights in front of goal. 

At least Aaron Doran kept one of his poorest games for the biggest showcase game...

I think any team who might go up - County and Downdee Untied included - will need to upskill hugely. The evidence suggests this season that there's a huge gap between even the lower end of the top tier and the second tier. Look at how St Mirren have struggled.

• Agree 1

We are skint only players we will be getting will be on free transfers on about £400-£900 a week contracts.

Hence why we are getting players from QOS Dumbarton Alloa etc. Think we should maybe wait till the summer & see what league we are in  before we start making wish lists. 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

42 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

I'm hoping he stays. 

I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed.  I'll be sorry to see Liam go but we've lost better players than him before and not missed them as much as we feared.  I think that with the youngsters coming on well, and the likes of Walsh, Welch, Trafford and Chalmers all developing, then if we can retain them we will have decent options in midfield next season without needing to bring more players in.  I think we may need a bit more cover in defence and options up front.  There will be no cash to splash and I imagine that the money available to spend on new signings will be largely dependent on cash freed up from the wages of those who leave.  Perhaps a little bit more if we get a fee for someone still on contract.

• Like 1

Heard from someone that Polly wants to stay but it will be dependent on what kind of offer he is given. Let’s hope they offer him a good one. I personally think we are a better team with him in it 

46 minutes ago, jagster said:

Heard from someone that Polly wants to stay but it will be dependent on what kind of offer he is given. Let’s hope they offer him a good one. I personally think we are a better team with him in it 

He has put his house on the market. I think he is away tbh 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

At least Aaron Doran kept one of his poorest games for the biggest showcase game...

I think any team who might go up - County and Downdee Untied included - will need to upskill hugely. The evidence suggests this season that there's a huge gap between even the lower end of the top tier and the second tier. Look at how St Mirren have struggled.

However, by contrast, look how well Livingston have done on lower crowds and less money than we had when we were in the top tier.

We have done it before and we are capable of doing it again. First however, we would need to play to our full potential and cut out the damaging defensive errors in the play offs which I am now confident we will be part off.

Fans need to play their part too and turn out in greater numbers both home and away. Those who don't often attend away matches, I include myself, would I am sure, have attended the final had we won on Saturday.

Instead we can surely go to the away leg of at least one play off match and supplement the normal loyal and vocal away crew.

Gain promotion and this 'wish list' thread might actually gain some relevance and that for sale sign alluded to by OCG might just come down. 

If ever there was a time to back the team it's over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

He has put his house on the market. I think he is away tbh 

So has Ridgers (allegedly). I don't think we can read anything into house moves as definitive signs that players are coming or going.

Edited by RiG

Agree with OCG, but it would be a worry if we were to lose Ridgers.  After a shaky start he has been generally outstanding for us.  Arguably the player I would most want to hang on to, and I am sure there are a lot of teams who have been keeping tabs on him.  It's the nature of our club though.  We bring struggling players in, develop them and then lose them when other clubs offer them shed loads more than we can afford.  Being a professional footballer is a short career and you can't blame these guys for moving on .  We just have to accept the harsh financial realities and be grateful for the contributions they have made  to the club.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Obviously not but I will be amazed if Polworth is still with us next season. 

I'd be stunned but delighted if he was still with us. 

• Agree 1