What we need in transfer market to improve.

CaleyTennis

Try and make better use of the loan market for a start and don't give contracts of more than a season out stuck with utter dross like mcauley for years that's holding back our own youngsters also if a player i.e. Polly won't sign fckin sell him or try for a player swap !

9 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Try and make better use of the loan market for a start and don't give contracts of more than a season out stuck with utter dross like mcauley for years that's holding back our own youngsters also if a player i.e. Polly won't sign fckin sell him or try for a player swap !

Contracts for no more than a season are a terrible idea. If a player excels during the course of that single season then he will be off to more lucrative pastures with recompense to the club.

We will have to rebuild every single season. We need continuity.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Contracts for no more than a season are a terrible idea. If a player excels during the course of that single season then he will be off to more lucrative pastures with recompense to the club.

We will have to rebuild every single season. We need continuity.

Big risk at the level of player wer signing could be stuck with a team of duds afraid wev had more misses than hits!

I think you both point out the dilemma. Short contacts are great if the player is very poor but they are detrimental if they are decent. 

It's a gamble but I suppose you have to try and have confidence in your signings. Several years are great if you get a Josh Meekings not so much if you get a Claude Gnackpa.  

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Fraz said:

I think you both point out the dilemma. Short contacts are great if the player is very poor but they are detrimental if they are decent. 

It's a gamble but I suppose you have to try and have confidence in your signings. Several years are great if you get a Josh Meekings not so much if you get a Claude Gnackpa.  

And don't forget Susan ?

10 hours ago, caleyboy said:

what's wrong with offering a 12 month contract with a review after 6 months? we should know by then if he is worth a longer contract.

And if he turns out to be really good his agent will already have another club lined up and everybody will be greeting about why he wasn't given a longer contract. Catch22

1 minute ago, AncientMariner said:

And if he turns out to be really good his agent will already have another club lined up and everybody will be greeting about why he wasn't given a longer contract. Catch22

that will be in the minority of cases just as it is now.

Offer contracts with clauses based on performance based results. After a stated period such as end of season the club has the right to terminate if the agreed results have not been attained - for example play off place. Players and club have opportunity to agree on the measurable target prior to signing on and will act as motivation  and hopefully remove passengers from the team.

19 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Offer contracts with clauses based on performance based results. After a stated period such as end of season the club has the right to terminate if the agreed results have not been attained - for example play off place. Players and club have opportunity to agree on the measurable target prior to signing on and will act as motivation  and hopefully remove passengers from the team.

Well at least the players and their agents would get a laugh. 

19 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

When we did have decent players we were to short sighted to negotiate even buy out clauses a club our size should be selling if they won't resign in last 18 months /year I'd have flogged Polly start of season same as Tansey / Shinnies all that guys should've brought in hefty fees! Pointless signing likes of White tho tbf he's improved and McCauley on long term deals bin them gamble again on freebies or loan players the squad will stagnate in to a mid table side if they don't freshen up

21 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Not a bad shout, in a way. Didn't we used to offer relatively low wages and big win bonuses? 

6 hours ago, TopSix said:

Not a bad shout, in a way. Didn't we used to offer relatively low wages and big win bonuses? 

No. Big wages and Big bonuses and not enough income. That's why we are in the financial mess we are in. BUT we won the Scottish Cup and qualified for Europe and we got £500k for our biggest asset!

Edited by caleyboy
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, TopSix said:

As we climbed the leagues, yes we did. The basic was 'reasonable' but a larger percentage of any money we got from TV and the SFA/SPFL prize fund depending on where we finished was shared with players. As our income increased, so did our wages (and contract complications) to a point in the premiership where it was a challenge. OFW is a prime example of this.  

His wage is always been held up as an example of the mismanagement of the "previous board" or our previous chairman but is it? My understanding of his last contract renewal is that it came about just after his stint at the Euros. The club got a decent six figure windfall payment because of this but as he was out of contract this was in jeopardy. Eventually, the club agreed a wage higher than we should have been comfortable with so that we didnt miss the signing deadline. The basic premise is that the higher wage was a way of giving him a significant share of the windfall payment which was what him or his agent wanted. Not ideal for us but somewhat of a scenario of "found money" as UEFA basically funded this contract and we pocketed a few quid out of it too. I am sure its more nuanced than that but thats my basic understanding.  

The biggest problem - for me - is that we got 'comfortable' in the Premiership and started to offer (low-end) Premiership wages and contracts as we thought we were becoming a permanent fixture, safe from relegation. These contracts were indeed higher than our business on its own could sustain but provided we stayed in the premiership and got the odd cup run then it was sustainable through payments and bonuses from SPFL/SFA and UEFA. Setting aside the manner of Yogi's departure as we have a whole other thread for that, the thing that further compounded this all was that we did not sack RF earlier and yes, the chairman, and the board at the time - which included our current chairman - does have to take that one on the chin. Relegation - as it did last time under Butcher - ripped a 7 figure sum from our yearly accounts and its been a mad dash since then to cut costs and try to replace some of that revenue.  I really do fear how we are currently operating and if we are truly efficient and maximising revenue while minimising costs. There's a few things I have heard that do not sit well with me, and the revelation on another thread that we are putting our new CEO up in a hotel is a complete head-scratcher. If this is true I sincerely hope this is a temporary measure with a finite end date and that his appointment is also contingent on him being present in Inverness rather than commuting from Edinburgh.

When it comes to signings, I think Robbo, over his two spells in charge of the club has shown he can make good decisions in managing his minimal budgets. All managers pick up the odd dud but for the most part he manages to make good choices so happy to leave it to him to try and strengthen where we need and cast off any surplus or non-performers.  

One area I think we might look to investigate is strategic partnerships with other clubs. I sat in a meeting with Toronto FC a few weeks ago where the president was talking about forming partnerships with clubs in Europe, or even taking a stake in some clubs, where they could act as feeders (in both directions) much like NYCFC have with Man City or that NY Red Bulls have with the various other Red Bull sponsored teams. We previously had tie-ups with various teams in England at one stage or another including Sheffield and for a while, Arsenal. Could this be an option again? Does Robbo or anyone at the club have the relevant contacts these days ..... ? Can we afford whatever the financial arrangements of such a deal were or would be ? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 4/17/2019 at 10:51 AM, ictchris said:

Out of contract at the end of the season

Owain Fon Williams

Kevin McHattie

Liam Polworth

Joe Chalmers

Nathan Austin

Out of contact in 2020

Mark Ridgers

Cammy McKay

Brad McKay

Coll Donaldson

Carl Tremarco

Jamie McCart

Charlie Trafford

Aaron Doran

Tom Walsh

Jordan White

Out of contact in 2021

Darren Macaulay

Out of contract in 2022

Daniel Mckay

Can't find details on how long Sean Welsh or Shaun Rooney have on their deals.

With reference to this list , what we need to improve  this season will ultimately depend on who we can keep and what league we are in. With County promoted and Hamilton likely to remain in the Premiership it is a real possibility that we will lose a few players to both these teams if we dont get promoted. Of those out of contract this season on this list (i'm sure there are players missing) I doubt we will keep any. I think outfield wise the only player that County/Hamilton would be remotely interested in would be Joe Chalmers. Also Scott Fox has reportedly hinted at a move back south which would leave them across the bridge needing essentially two goalkeepers and viola we have two quality keepers they would surely be interested in. Fon Williams they could get for free however Ridgers they would have to part with some cash. Likely candidates from the 2020 list that teams would pay money for excluding Ridgers I think would be Coll Donaldson, Jamie McCart, Aaron Doran & Tom Walsh (maybe even Charlie Trafford) - so potential County targets Donaldson & Doran. 

Edited by Caledonianfc1885

3 hours ago, Caledonianfc1885 said:

so potential County targets Donaldson & Doran. 

Heres hoping Aaron would have some common sense, rather than leaving the club he's been with for a 8 years to join the C*unty...

If he wants to leave, I'm fine if it's another club that's not them

Need a replacement for Polworth, and still need a forward who can score more goals. 

Could probably do with more strength in depth throughout - this has cost us early this year.

If we lose any key players over the summer they will need replacing too.

Anyone seen a magic wand lying around??

In my honest opinion, what we actually need is the same strategy that Mr Webber used at Norwich this season ?

Norwich didn't have much of a budget so signed a lot of their academy players to the first team whilst going into the market and signing, mainly young players for hardly any money, so had to be patient with Daniel Farke, the head coach. 

So, I think that is maybe a strategy we can use, hopefully keep the core of our squad but if not, then go into the transfer market and sign a few young players that have a point to prove and also sign a few of our youngsters such as McGregor, Harper and Daniel Mackay (I've probably missed a few more) on full team contracts :ictscarf:

6 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

In my honest opinion, what we actually need is the same strategy that Mr Webber used at Norwich this season ?

Norwich didn't have much of a budget so signed a lot of their academy players to the first team whilst going into the market and signing, mainly young players for hardly any money, so had to be patient with Daniel Farke, the head coach. 

So, I think that is maybe a strategy we can use, hopefully keep the core of our squad but if not, then go into the transfer market and sign a few young players that have a point to prove and also sign a few of our youngsters such as McGregor, Harper and Daniel Mackay (I've probably missed a few more) on full team contracts :ictscarf:

Dan, Cameron and Roddy are all on full team contracts, in fact all of the Class of 2018 are. They wouldn't be able to play if they were stuck to their U18 contract.