What we need in transfer market to improve.

CaleyTennis

37 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Heard a rumour from a friend reliably informed that a deal has been agreed for both Coll and Chalmers to join County. Hardly surprising 

That should be in the rumour thread. I hope that's all it is as the transfer window is not open yet. 

• Facepalm 1

If County want Donaldson they will get him. We need the cash so we won't exactly discourage him from going, like Draper, then we'll paint it as the player wanting to leave the club, like Draper. As we all know County have the money, even if they don't Uncle Roy will write it off for them ("the Ross County way"), so it's happening guys. Best start accepting it now.

Chalmers is an odd one though. Not overly fussed if he does go even if it's to County. Given they have about 40 midfielders it seems a strange move.

• Agree 1

What we need in the transfer market is realism.

Given we are in the play-off's we now have 6 games and almost 2 wks more to play than some other teams. This means while its hoped there will be upfront work done identifying targets and strategy for both leagues, what we will see is that more than likely some targets will be missed or take options elsewhere - players and agents wont be waiting for ICT to come along with offers.

It'll be another summer of picking up dribs & drabs hoping for some more success than failures.

42 minutes ago, RiG said:

If County want Donaldson they will get him. We need the cash so we won't exactly discourage him from going, like Draper, then we'll paint it as the player wanting to leave the club, like Draper. As we all know County have the money, even if they don't Uncle Roy will write it off for them ("the Ross County way"), so it's happening guys. Best start accepting it now.

Chalmers is an odd one though. Not overly fussed if he does go even if it's to County. Given they have about 40 midfielders it seems a strange move.

Agree.  Donaldson has been excellent for us and demonstrates qualities that should see him develop into a very solid Premiership player.  At his age, his transfer value should be more than Draper's was and one trusts there will be a significant sell on clause.  Chalmers is also progressing well but I can't see him as someone who would strengthen County in their Premiership campaign.

As usual, it looks as though our inability to pay players the kind of wages which would tempt them to stay will mean we lose several of our better players at the end of the season.  Fortunately we have a manager who has demonstrated real talent for bringing in players with the potential to develop.  Whether we get through the play-offs or not, those skills are going to be badly needed again during the summer break.

The only chance we have of fending off County's interest is to gain promotion back to the Premiership.

If we fail then Roy McGregor is as aware of our dire financial plight as anyone and knows full well that we are in no position to refuse any vaguely reasonable offer.

38 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Agree.  Donaldson has been excellent for us and demonstrates qualities that should see him develop into a very solid Premiership player.  At his age, his transfer value should be more than Draper's was and one trusts there will be a significant sell on clause.  Chalmers is also progressing well but I can't see him as someone who would strengthen County in their Premiership campaign.

As usual, it looks as though our inability to pay players the kind of wages which would tempt them to stay will mean we lose several of our better players at the end of the season.  Fortunately we have a manager who has demonstrated real talent for bringing in players with the potential to develop.  Whether we get through the play-offs or not, those skills are going to be badly needed again during the summer break.

This is unfortunately the ever decreasing circle we are now in - lose the cream of the crop and struggle the following year , find another talented couple and prepare to get cherry picked at the end of that season too.

2 hours ago, Satan said:

This is unfortunately the ever decreasing circle we are now in - lose the cream of the crop and struggle the following year , find another talented couple and prepare to get cherry picked at the end of that season too.

Yup. Lose good players - results typically suffer - fans drift away - less money - lose more players - results suffer - fans drift away - less money...

I feel that we were very lucky to do as well as we have done this year which is testament to the team spirit OR have they been playing for a more lucrative move as much as playing for the shirt. We have been a selling and feeder club for years but this season should have been all about consolidation and planning for the future. I have a horrible feeling that the only "entertainment" that we will be facing next season is a relegation battle. Our off the pitch reputation has also been tarnished - and as much from the fan base criticism as it is from the chaotic management. May not be a popular statement but David Sutherland has had the club by the balls for years and has probably been the main savior again this season. I cant however feel that there has been an over possessiveness that has scared off potential suitors.

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I feel that we were very lucky to do as well as we have done this year which is testament to the team spirit OR have they been playing for a more lucrative move as much as playing for the shirt. We have been a selling and feeder club for years but this season should have been all about consolidation and planning for the future. I have a horrible feeling that the only "entertainment" that we will be facing next season is a relegation battle. Our off the pitch reputation has also been tarnished - and as much from the fan base criticism as it is from the chaotic management. May not be a popular statement but David Sutherland has had the club by the balls for years and has probably been the main savior again this season. I cant however feel that there has been an over possessiveness that has scared off potential suitors.

I think you are absolutely right IHE and the unfortunate fact is there are very few who would work with DS.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Worth noting this here but you can see the difference in prize money for being the Premiership compared to the Championship.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-prize-pot-reaches-25m

Prize Money.PNG

Better than it was the last time we were in the second tier. The extra £75,000 if we were to pip Ayr for third place would ease things for a fortnight or so.

3 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

The worst part is we loose good players usually on a free god nos why the previous board didn't offer likes of Watkins Tansey etc big bonuses to sign up knowing they'd be sold on our transfer policies are insane ! Shudder to think of the donkey they've lined up 2 replace our best man Polly who again we lost on a free should've been sold start of the season! If Donaldson goes it'll be for peanuts less than draper wer desperate for the money again he'll be replaced by a donkey possibly on a medium length contract which is also madness at the level of signings wer making a season at most should be offered or you end up with a team full of Macauley's and whites your never gonna shift or win anything with! Tough balancing act on a shoestring the loan market should be better used surely Robbos got contacts hopefully nxt season if wer still in this division the young guns will make more of an impression

On 4/24/2019 at 3:21 PM, Scotty said:

We previously had tie-ups with various teams in England at one stage or another including Sheffield and for a while, Arsenal. Could this be an option again?

I'd love to see a tie-up with Norwich City, as Caley Tennis said in his posting they have a tremendous academy setup. They're on the verge of winning the Championship on a team that cost peanuts. They made a mint out of selling on James Maddison to Leicester and his improvement started with his spell at Tannadice where he got regular first team experience. Another cracking batch of youngsters are coming along nicely as are our U18s. City were on the brink of collapse when Webber turned up and the astute activity in the transfer market (selling as well as buying) has had remarkable success. A lot of that is down to Farke and his knowledge of fringe players playing in the lower level European leagues. I remember we used to have a great scouting setup and for me that seems to be what we're missing the most. Norwich have proved, as have we in the past, that you don't need big bucks to build a winning team. What you need is an overall strategy and vision that everyone buys into - sound business sense, a good scouting system, good coaching and a great team spirit. We're more than capable of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

The worst part is we loose good players usually on a free god nos why the previous board didn't offer likes of Watkins Tansey etc big bonuses to sign up knowing they'd be sold on our transfer policies are insane ! Shudder to think of the donkey they've lined up 2 replace our best man Polly who again we lost on a free should've been sold start of the season! If Donaldson goes it'll be for peanuts less than draper wer desperate for the money again he'll be replaced by a donkey possibly on a medium length contract which is also madness at the level of signings wer making a season at most should be offered or you end up with a team full of Macauley's and whites your never gonna shift or win anything with! Tough balancing act on a shoestring the loan market should be better used surely Robbos got contacts hopefully nxt season if wer still in this division the young guns will make more of an impression

Maybe a loan or two because I'm not too keen on loans, unless we can eventually get them permanently because the players just go back to their club then get loaned back out somewhere else the next transfer market.  I would far rather look at the lower leagues in Scotland, something that I know has been mentioned on here is that there is real prospects down there, or look to see what becomes available from down in England, I'm sure clubs may be releasing real talent or even experienced pros but, I would stress that I would only like to see seasoned pros signed if they improve the team, not just to sit on the bench or signed because their experienced. 

But, I do trust John Robertson to succeed in the market with what he has available :ictscarf:

I still believe the Norwich strategy should be looked at by us, and many other clubs because they didn't sign players for fortunes, some were even on frees and signed a vast majority of their academy team in order to stay on a sound footing and Mr Webber didn't wield the axe, even when results were not great, he backed Daniel Farke and now look at them.   

On 4/24/2019 at 3:21 PM, Scotty said:

We previously had tie-ups with various teams in England at one stage or another including Sheffield and for a while, Arsenal. Could this be an option again?

Just wondering, did anything ever actually come from that partnership with Arsenal? I can only recall us taking in one guy on loan back in the reign of Butcher, and that was it...

1 hour ago, CaleyTennis said:

Maybe a loan or two because I'm not too keen on loans, unless we can eventually get them permanently because the players just go back to their club then get loaned back out somewhere else the next transfer market.  I would far rather look at the lower leagues in Scotland, something that I know has been mentioned on here is that there is real prospects down there, or look to see what becomes available from down in England, I'm sure clubs may be releasing real talent or even experienced pros but, I would stress that I would only like to see seasoned pros signed if they improve the team, not just to sit on the bench or signed because their experienced. 

But, I do trust John Robertson to succeed in the market with what he has available :ictscarf:

I still believe the Norwich strategy should be looked at by us, and many other clubs because they didn't sign players for fortunes, some were even on frees and signed a vast majority of their academy team in order to stay on a sound footing and Mr Webber didn't wield the axe, even when results were not great, he backed Daniel Farke and now look at them.   

Loans can work a treat some of that youngsters from the big English clubs tear up the Spl it's whether they'd send them up here tho ain't it you'd think Robbo would be fair attraction still a reasonably well known name! Dunno how good our scouting network is no had many gems since Butcher left tbh! Aye Norwich play some tidy football right enough different level from us that money even in the championships insane! Hopefully see a few of our own youngsters on Saturday rest up the troops for the play offs

9 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Just wondering, did anything ever actually come from that partnership with Arsenal? I can only recall us taking in one guy on loan back in the reign of Butcher, and that was it...

Partnerships with other clubs was pure fiction. Terry Butcher was the reason we got loan players and signings from England.

Did Phil Roberts not come up from Arsenal? Acted like a Billy big baws, wasnt very good then ended up jobbing around the Scottish lower leagues pi$$ing off fans with his lousy attitude.

Overall the link worked well ?

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Did Phil Roberts not come up from Arsenal? Acted like a Billy big baws, wasnt very good then ended up jobbing around the Scottish lower leagues pi$$ing off fans with his lousy attitude.

Overall the link worked well ?

From what I've checked, he's bouncing around the National League South...

5 hours ago, caleyboy said:

Partnerships with other clubs was pure fiction. Terry Butcher was the reason we got loan players and signings from England.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/inverness/187782-inverness-caledonian-thistle-recruit-arsenal-striker-philip-roberts-on-loan/

There was a partnership of sorts with Arsenal. Just not a very successful one :laugh: