What we need in transfer market to improve.

CaleyTennis

It's an interesting story - we apparently tried to buy him on deadline day but he'd already signed for Peterhead.  When Sutherland found out about our bid he wanted to join us but Peterhead wouldn't do it.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/sutherland-up-for-sale-as-blue-toon-boss-says-head-was-turned/

A couple of thoughts.  This suggests that we didn't plan to sell Oakley in the window but got a late bid that we thought was too good to turn down and that we were looking for a replacement at very late notice.  If we had planned to try and sign Sutherland then we messed it up big time.  

In terms of him as a player, I haven't seen him play since he left us but he was useful if not quite of the required standard when he played with us before.  He had a superb game against Celtic when we beat them 3-2 in 2011 but never really built on it.  He's generally a centre forward but can be played wide in a 'wide target man' style.  He's played six seasons since leaving us and has been a regular goalscorer at Elgin and Peterhead, a particular achievement at Elgin who haven't had the best side for him.  He played a season in League one and scored 13 goals in the league at that higher level.

If we are after him again, he could be a decent option, he might not be.  With Jordan White we have a target man and if he were to sign he'd definitely be behind White and Keatings in the pecking order.  

8 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Wait, is Shane doing a Dimitri Payet and refusing to play unless he gets a transfer to us? Surely Peterhead wouldn't let him go after barely even 5 months... 

I think he has tested their patience by effectively downing tools after losing out on the opportunity to play full time football again.

That said, they paid a fee for him and would want to recover at least that fee. Are we in a position right now to pay a fee for anyone ?

I always wondered why he played wide midfield for us.  He looked like a natural striker to me.  Having been out of the game at a higher level for a number of years, I don't know that he would cut it here any more.  Perhaps take him as a squad player but I wouldn't want to pay a fee for him.

• Agree 1

I can see the logic in going for him as a squad replacement for Oakley but he would not have been Championship level fit for some time. It also harangues me that we are not considering "promoting" one of the promising under 18 starlets. I too always considered him to be a centre forward type player and he certainly is miles away from being a Polworth. If the deal involves money then No Thanks.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

I hope not defo not the standard of player we should be looking at ! Would rather stick with the traffic cone!

Maybe he is coming in to replace White as I’m sure I read on P&B that Partick are very interested in White.

8 hours ago, Gregor said:

Maybe he is coming in to replace White as I’m sure I read on P&B that Partick are very interested in White.

Why would White go to Partick? 

We are building a decent squad with a good set of players here. Reaching Semi and getting in to play offs. As for Partick they spent most weeks down at the wrong end of the table. I'm sure Caldwell will have another rebuilding job to do over the summer.

1 hour ago, WYNESS101 said:

We are building a decent squad with a good set of players here. Reaching Semi and getting in to play offs. As for Partick they spent most weeks down at the wrong end of the table. I'm sure Caldwell will have another rebuilding job to do over the summer.

I agree with you about White going to Partick ,I’m sure he wouldn’t but the club could accept a bid for any player atm.

3 hours ago, WYNESS101 said:

Particks a strange 1 good squad I thought they'd kick on after xmas and reach the play offs think they'll be thereabouts nxt season if we got an offer for big J I'd take it good player but defo would play better in a 2 up top role which we rarely do him and Storey would play well together

Not a chance we will get Rudden. I think he is a very good player who The Rangers will be wanting to keep hold of. I can’t see them wanting him playing in Division 1 with Falkirk but I expect the cost of taking him on loan would be beyond our budget. 

5 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

Now we are being linked with Ousmane Fane a French midfielder of Oldham by an Instagram user named Caleyhq, who also says Coll is being linked with County ?

Donaldson has been linked with County for months by many people. Frankly, I don't care how many people link him with County as long as he doesn't actually leave and go there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

Now we are being linked with Ousmane Fane a French midfielder of Oldham by an Instagram user named Caleyhq.

Interesting we're going for him tbf. Not going to lie, he's an absolute nobody who's been lurking in the French Lower Leagues, and really only cropped up after he moved to Oldham in League One. With 80 games and no goals, he's not very prolific. And in addition to that, Oldham paid €60k (almost £53k), so they'll be slapping a price tag on him, and as we know, we aren't exactly minted, and I doubt we'd want to risk it and wait until his contract expires at the end of July.

Just going to be brutally honest, I don't see him coming, he might get a trial, but not seeing a contract headed his way...

1 hour ago, CaleyTennis said:

Now we are being linked with Ousmane Fane a French midfielder of Oldham by an Instagram user named Caleyhq, who also says Coll is being linked with County ?

That's Fané, pronounced Fanny.  I would suggest that nobody searches "Caleyhq" as all the results seem to be Fané.  I didn't search "CaleyTennis".