What we need in transfer market to improve.

CaleyTennis

We've signed two players from clubs who finished below us last season, neither of whom were particular stand outs for those teams last season.  Todorov has scored three or four goals at this level in his entire career.  Vincent underwhelmed at Dundee and didn't stand out at Dunfermline either.  We have to hope that both will do better in our environment than previously.

The big loss for us is Liam Polworth.  Last season he either scored or assisted 30% of our goals and the season before he scored or assisted 40% of our goals.  We need to replace that contribution.

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, ictchris said:

We've signed two players from clubs who finished below us last season, neither of whom were particular stand outs for those teams last season.  Todorov has scored three or four goals at this level in his entire career.  Vincent underwhelmed at Dundee and didn't stand out at Dunfermline either.  We have to hope that both will do better in our environment than previously.

The big loss for us is Liam Polworth.  Last season he either scored or assisted 30% of our goals and the season before he scored or assisted 40% of our goals.  We need to replace that contribution.

This is a fair assessment.

When we signed Vincent the first time round we had just lost Andrew Shinnie. Whilst Vincent was a different sort of player he initially slotted into that advanced midfield role and gave us a different sort of attacking threat. We weren't particularly worse off as a result. However after he got an injury or two and Yogi came in he spent a lot more time playing wide which never seemed to be a good position for him.

I wonder where Robbo intends to play him - in the areas that Polworth used to operate in, or in a more deeper 'Chalmers' role like the one he was playing at Dundee and Dunfermline?

Our current squad

Goalkeepers

Mark Ridgers

Cammy McKay

Daniel hoban

Defenders

Brad Mckay

Shaun Rooney

Carl Tremarco

Kevin McHattie

Coll Donaldson

Jamie McCart

Midfielders

Sean Welsh

Charlie Trafford

Aaron Doran

Tom Walsh

Dave Carson

James Vincent

Strikers

Jordan White

Nikolay Todorov

James Keatings

Edited by ictchris

Our current best XI?

-----------------------Ridgers--------------------

--Mckay---Donaldson--McCart--Tremarco--

----------------Trafford-----Welsh-------------------------

---Doran--------Vincent----------Walsh--------------

--------------------White------------------------------------

Maybe Keatings could play in the Vincent role and JV could slot in alongside Welsh rather than Trafford?

20 minutes ago, ictchris said:

Our current best XI?

Maybe Keatings could play in the Vincent role and JV could slot in alongside Welsh rather than Trafford?

That’s where I think Robbo will play Keatings maybe he is the guy to replace Polly

I would agree with most of that but I think that Robbo will change the systems slightly to incorporate different types of players. The good thing is that our signings have something to prove in in the Championship and personally. Lets face it we are not going to unearth a Polworth replacement. The suggested teams are last season plus Vincent. I can again understand the logic but I hope that some players have changed our minds before the Championship kick-off. The other encouraging thing for me is that we have "replacements" in most departments - albeit several untried and unknown. Also makes pre-season considerably more competitive and hopefully we start off fit and prepared.

• Like 1

We've based the shape around getting the best out of Polly for the last 2 years so I wouldn't be surprised to see the 4-2-3-1 dropped. Robbo has often been inclined towards a narrow 4-4-2 - could see Keatings playing off White with Vincent and Welsh in the middle and Doran and Walsh starting from deeper, narrower positions. 

The squad looks to have good balance overall, though it would obviously be nice to add a right-back and a creative midfielder/wide player. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Caley Stan said:

We've based the shape around getting the best out of Polly for the last 2 years so I wouldn't be surprised to see the 4-2-3-1 dropped. Robbo has often been inclined towards a narrow 4-4-2 - could see Keatings playing off White with Vincent and Welsh in the middle and Doran and Walsh starting from deeper, narrower positions. 

The squad looks to have good balance overall, though it would obviously be nice to add a right-back and a creative midfielder/wide player. 

Beat me to it although I would love to see the 4-4-2 with two wide players and an out and out big man/sharp man up front. Perhaps those days have gone ?

46 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Beat me to it although I would love to see the 4-4-2 with two wide players and an out and out big man/sharp man up front. Perhaps those days have gone ?

Ray Mackintosh and Billy Urquhart would do me fine. And also Davy Johnston if were doing a 4-3-3.?

Edited by caleyboy

22 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Chic Allan in central midfield - Alan Presslie doubling up with Coll at the back ?

wow. memories to make me smile. Andy Penman in creative midfield role. Harry Smith wide. Come onnnnnn.

• Agree 1

On 6/20/2019 at 9:15 AM, Gregor said:

image.png.ef6448226c73b941e0dc75a85dce4ae9.png

Fill your boots sir

Stats from Soccerway

I have also added Miles Storey just to see how he fares against our 4 signed  players .Just to clarify the goal ratio is I goal per the number of starts or appearances so obviously the lower the ratio the better performance from the individual player.

Sometimes we go with our gut feelings about  a player but ultimately its the stats, especially with strikers, that should decide who we sign and play in the team.

We certainly have good experience in White and Keatings and back up with Todorov and young Daniel so looking decent for the start of the season.

Looking forward to even more signings and first game of the season.

Good man Gregor interesting stuff see how the new strikers get on tho tbh would rather the magic hat back than these 2 more of an all rounder!

10 hours ago, ictchris said:

Our current best XI?

tough to tell with new signings and the season not started yet. we have signed many duds before, and we have also unearthed many gems that we had never even heard of previously. on a whole though i'm looking forward to the new season starting and hopefully we can improve on last season, but i would definitely see promotion playoffs as our minimum aim this season.

16 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Think that it is as much of keeping what we had last season and adding in some more reliable back-ups. And lets hope that the yoof can progress. The bottom line is the feckin available spondoolicks ?

We already lost 2 well 1 of our best smoking joe was ropey! Time for wee McGregor to be the player I think he is hope he gets his chance this year!

I see former ICT loanee Tom Aldred has signed for Brisbane Roar after ending his loan spell at Motherwell.  Given he freaked out at how far Inverness was from home in Bolton I'm just wondering if his agent has sat him down and explained where Brisbane is....?

• Funny 2

On 6/25/2019 at 2:10 PM, ymip said:

I see former ICT loanee Tom Aldred has signed for Brisbane Roar after ending his loan spell at Motherwell.  Given he freaked out at how far Inverness was from home in Bolton I'm just wondering if his agent has sat him down and explained where Brisbane is....?

On 6/25/2019 at 2:10 PM, ymip said:

Remember him playing at pre-season at Brora and the  midgies were awful.  I think it was the next days that Aldred went back to wherever he came from.