CaleyTennis

What we need in transfer market to improve.

Recommended Posts

On 7/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, Huisdean said:

I honestly don't think we have missed out with this. Surely a player of his supposed ability would want to try and better/improve his game which he will not do at Utd. Looks like he seriously lacks ambition which is a big failing in my opinion.

Always find it a bit odd when folk say stuff like this. We have no idea whatsoever what his personal circumstances are. The only Scottish club that was  in for the guy was Dundee United and a couple of clubs in England. Shankland may not have wanted to go to England at this stage of his career and was happy to remain here for another season or two.  

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shankland will make Dundee Utd a much more formidable beast this coming season. Big signing for them. Not so good for the rest of the championship teams. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of sounding like a stuck vinyl record, we desperately need an experienced and specialist right back. Shaun Rooney's injury should surely justify such a signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 7:30 PM, Huisdean said:

 

I honestly don't think we have missed out with this. Surely a player of his supposed ability would want to try and better/improve his game which he will not do at Utd. Looks like he seriously lacks ambition which is a big failing in my opinion.

Shanklands the best player in the championship by a long way we never had a hope of getting him! Dunno about lack of ambition think it was a wise move by him look at the players who've went to england and failed he's tried the Spl and failed chance for him to become a legend his goals should get UTD over the line this yr with no play off i for 1 would've loved to have him at ICT 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be hilarious if Shankland did an Andy Barrowman and never does anything in his career again.  Doubt it though, think he's sealed the title for United, sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a decent player no doubt about that but not sure if title is signed sealed delivered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point I was trying to make that signing Shankland guarantees nothing. If you rely on only one player for goals, if something happens to him, you have a problem, as happened to Ayr last season. Last season, Utd also had Safranko, who I think is a better player than Shankland and offered more to the team.

Utd have been favourites for the last 3 years and hugely under achieved and I don't see anything yet to indicate to me, that they are guaranteed to win the Championship. You need a good manager to do this and I am not convinced Neilson is a good manager.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Huisdean said:

The point I was trying to make that signing Shankland guarantees nothing. If you rely on only one player for goals, if something happens to him, you have a problem, as happened to Ayr last season. Last season, Utd also had Safranko, who I think is a better player than Shankland and offered more to the team.

Utd have been favourites for the last 3 years and hugely under achieved and I don't see anything yet to indicate to me, that they are guaranteed to win the Championship. You need a good manager to do this and I am not convinced Neilson is a good manager.

Robbie Neilson won the Championship with Rangers and Hibs involved. He also finished 3rd in the Premiership with Hearts, their best points total in 13 years. 

Give the guy some credit. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Robbie Neilson won the Championship with Rangers and Hibs involved. He also finished 3rd in the Premiership with Hearts, their best points total in 13 years. 

Give the guy some credit. 

Neilson might have won the championship that season, but as soon as he started managing in the premier league, he developed a highly risk averse approach that backfired more than once. I’m not convinced he’s got rid of that approach, evidenced by him celebrating taking 10 man St Mirren to penalties in the play-off final. 

The presence of both Dundee clubs in the championship add an extra layer of pressure to both, It will be interesting to see how that plays out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the posts on here are class we sign some completely unknown goat herder from Bulgaria it's and I quote "quite remarkable how Robbo does it" Utd sign the best player in the division but yet him and Neilson are suddenly terrible !  Dark horses for a play off spot get a £10 on it Morton gonna pay for my week in Shagaluf nxt year!

  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the bs u read on here is true why didn't we no bother with the less than prolific keatings and the Bulgarian flog White and Trafford if unbelivable as it may sound some1 wanted them for actual cash! And go all out for Shankland even if we had to put a relatively low release clause in the deal! Gotta a feeling gonna be the samo samo this year toothless in front of goal 

  • Disagree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan, do you actually support ICT because your post makes me think you don't!? So what if Shankland signed for Utd, one man does not win a title as Ayr found out last season plus, how many times have Utd bottled it in big games, what makes you think that will change this season!? 

I am quite happy with our squad and am optimistic about the upcoming season due to the 2 draws this past few days plus, Utd lost 3-2 to Dumbarton and drew 1-1 with East Fife with fairly strong starting teams. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Robbie Neilson won the Championship with Rangers and Hibs involved. He also finished 3rd in the Premiership with Hearts, their best points total in 13 years. 

Give the guy some credit. 

And has done exactly what since? Rangers were also a shambles at this time. Speaking to some Utd fans at the playoffs, they would have bee n happy to get shot of him because if poor management and performances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know pre season counts for nothing, but two draws with teams a league above us has to be encouraging. 

Life without Polly will be interesting, but it seems we have assembled a reasonable squad, so here’s hoping we can have some optimism looking forward. 

I’m going to Tannadice on 3 August, which is when it really starts to count. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I am worried about you Shaun. Is your common sense linked to sleep deprivation during Wimbledon fortnight ?

No need to worry about me my friend :P. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

we sign some completely unknown goat herder from Bulgaria it's and I quote "quite remarkable how Robbo does it"

Todorov was at Hearts at the same time Robbo was coaching there. I guess he knows what he’s getting. 

Edited by HawkeyeTheGnu
Autocorrect strikes again
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Some of the posts on here are class we sign some completely unknown goat herder from Bulgaria it's and I quote "quite remarkable how Robbo does it" Utd sign the best player in the division but yet him and Neilson are suddenly terrible !  Dark horses for a play off spot get a £10 on it Morton gonna pay for my week in Shagaluf nxt year!

 

Firstly, Todorov has been on the books of Nottingham Forest (2014-15), Hearts (2016-18) and Falkirk (2019) and had loan spells at Livingston and Queen of the South. Anyone who watches lower league Scottish football will at least have heard of him.

 

Secondly, "unknown goat herder from Bulgaria" has racist overtones and should be called out as such. I'll judge our players on their performances and attitudes, not their nationalities.

  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's face it people we have arguably the best manager in the championship. We have a squad of players with a mix of good young players alongside experienced players who have demonstrated their abilities last season. Added to this are some good signings. We can go into this season with confidence and a team on the up. They can set their sights high. Let's get right behind them. 🌅

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Secondly, "unknown goat herder from Bulgaria" has racist overtones and should be called out as such. I'll judge our players on their performances and attitudes, not their nationalities.

Not the first time that an Eastern European comment has caused uproar on CTO ? Might sound better if you sing the words to the tune of "Long Haired Lover from Liverpool" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit this pre season has given me a good feeling about the up and coming season.  Some decent match ups against premiership oposition and the team held their own. No reason to fear anyone in the league. It might be more the other way round after the way we finished last season. Ayr are definitely weaker this season utd haven't really added anything to their squad. Dundee will be on a slump from relegation and Arbroath coming up have had a bad pre season. It's their forbthe taking let's get on the pitch and do take it. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

United have added to their squad,will be quite formidable and favourites to win the championship. Let's not get carried away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, roarer said:

United have added to their squad,will be quite formidable and favourites to win the championship. Let's not get carried away. 

Bookies have Dundee as favourites, then utd, then Partick and us in fourth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like we are done for this window unless Robbo decides to find cover for Shaun Rooney. On that he says he will wait to see if he heals quicker than anticipated, source : Inverness Courier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • FB_caley_thisle_online_970x90.jpg

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.