Polworth to Motherwell

Dargo20

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Football is a short career for most,  and as much as it may pain us to say so, none of our players are ever going to be able to make much of a retirement plan on our wages, especially now while we are in the Championship. Add the effect the boo-boys will have had on him (however they want to minimise it) and its a pretty easy decision for the lad. Personally, I wish him well, hope he grows as a person and as a player and is able to bank a little bit of a nest egg for himself and family. It may not be PSG as one poster has mentioned, but we're not Barcelona either, even if the colours are similar !    

these guys chose football as their career Scotty and they get paid well for what they do. it is their own fault if they don't save for the future. if they don't earn enough to support a particular lifestyle like anyone else they should change it accordingly.

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

these guys chose football as their career Scotty and they get paid well for what they do. it is their own fault if they don't save for the future. if they don't earn enough to support a particular lifestyle like anyone else they should change it accordingly.

Whilst you are basically correct, I do think it is a little harsh.  Lets face it, at 10, 15, or 20 most of us would crawl over broken glass to play for our local team and give scant consideration to our retirement plans. In our own eyes we are invincible and we could play forever !!! We also like to think we could be the next Ronaldo, Messi, or <insert name here> who will pull in millions and not have to worry about life after football.  Its unlikely to happen for 99.9% of players, but it is the dream. I cant fault any player for trying to get closer to that dream .... Moving to a higher paying club in a higher division is one step on that ladder.  You could argue that this is part of his plan to save for the future ... if he stayed at ICT because of loyalty it would be admirable, but could be a foolish decision for his financial future ....  

Don't think Polly will strike it rich at Motherwell but he will surely pull in more than we are currently paying him and certainly more than we can offer him on a renewed contract in the championship. That's not a criticism of ICT its simply a basic fact. Outside of the biggest teams, I don't think anyone in Scottish football could really be regarded as well paid in football terms. Maybe when compared to normal jobs, but not in football terms.

Anyhoo, I wish him well, and as you say I do hope he has his head switched on and invests in his future while he is still earning a decent crust .... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Whilst you are basically correct, I do think it is a little harsh.  Lets face it, at 10, 15, or 20 most of us would crawl over broken glass to play for our local team and give scant consideration to our retirement plans. In our own eyes we are invincible and we could play forever !!! We also like to think we could be the next Ronaldo, Messi, or <insert name here> who will pull in millions and not have to worry about life after football.  Its unlikely to happen for 99.9% of players, but it is the dream. I cant fault any player for trying to get closer to that dream .... Moving to a higher paying club in a higher division is one step on that ladder.  You could argue that this is part of his plan to save for the future ... if he stayed at ICT because of loyalty it would be admirable, but could be a foolish decision for his financial future ....  

Don't think Polly will strike it rich at Motherwell but he will surely pull in more than we are currently paying him and certainly more than we can offer him on a renewed contract in the championship. That's not a criticism of ICT its simply a basic fact. Outside of the biggest teams, I don't think anyone in Scottish football could really be regarded as well paid in football terms. Maybe when compared to normal jobs, but not in football terms.

Anyhoo, I wish him well, and as you say I do hope he has his head switched on and invests in his future while he is still earning a decent crust .... 

I agree Scotty and it should be remembered that this applies to the vast majority of players as they play for teams outwith the big payers and leagues. At the end of the day they are in employment and it is their own responsibility to make provision for the future just as it is for anyone else.

Edited by caleyboy

19 hours ago, caleyboy said:

I agree Scotty and it should be remembered that this applies to the vast majority of players as they play for teams outwith the big payers and leagues. At the end of the day they are in employment and it is their own responsibility to make provision for the future just as it is for anyone else.

Very true but most of us have careers lasting forty or more years to make provision for our future.

Professional footballers have twenty years if they are very fortunate after which they generally have few qualifications to do much else.

2 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Very true but most of us have careers lasting forty or more years to make provision for our future.

Professional footballers have twenty years if they are very fortunate after which they generally have few qualifications to do much else.

That's not true footballers always land on there feet qualifications or not specially the 1s that wash up at Brora cushy oil job awaits! They're hardly Martyrs ! Only job I'd wanna be in 20 years is football variety is the spice of life brother! Pollys commited carreer suicide here trust me watch this space be back here on loan nxt season (hopefully)

• Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

But that's life Kingsmills. They get jobs after football so if they want they can still work for 40 years.

6 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Pollys commited carreer suicide here trust me watch this space be back here on loan nxt season (hopefully)

Leaving an above average Championship club who's fans not only hurl abuse but sing nasty songs about his family to join a Premiership club is career suicide?
Yeah good one ? 

2 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

Leaving an above average Championship club who's fans not only hurl abuse but sing nasty songs about his family to join a Premiership club is career suicide?
Yeah good one ? 

Financially i don't think he had any option but to go however I don't know if his attitude is good enough to get him a regular start. He has the ability but............ 

• Agree 2
  • Facepalm 1

18 hours ago, AncientMariner said:

Yeah good one ? 

Where's this vicious abuse Polly seems to take it's a fckin myth besides big boys footballers no baby's water of a ducks back surely! Wait and see eh how his carerr pans out now eh I like Polly think he's class but don't think he'll get much game time at Motherwell tbh what's he gonna do if he gets abuse from that weegie wannabe fans

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

56 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Where's this vicious abuse Polly seems to take it's a fckin myth besides big boys footballers no baby's water of a ducks back surely! Wait and see eh how his carerr pans out now eh I like Polly think he's class but don't think he'll get much game time at Motherwell tbh what's he gonna do if he gets abuse from that weegie wannabe fans

Either you are deaf or don't attend home games.

• Agree 2

Nasty remarks at his expense are ill-suited to the  present  state of affairs in Scottish Football and unjust  and unfair to him. Currently what actually transpired appears to be only speculation anyway and only time will reveal what events in his life have actually pulled the trigger on his potential advancement decision.

Who can turn around and refuse to make a move in their life that could lead on to greatness but at the same time offers a challenge to them by  their even entertaining the thoughts that that decision may lead to failure. If you don't try in life how can you expect to succeed at anything? If he succeeds good luck to him but ,if not ,then at least he has , hopefully, tried to do his best for  himself and his family. If you sit still and never make a move you are only vegetating through life because there is a vast world out there that is beckoning to show you many new experiences and life is short my friends, very short.

Good luck to Polly  in all his future endeavours I say.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Would someone like me to translate this? Possibly add some punctuation, correct the spelling mistakes and generally delete it all for being absolute total sh*te.

By your own admission on many occasions due to personal circumstances you don't manage to get to games so what makes you so highly qualified to pass judgement on the situation and suggest it's a myth.

The guy has decided to leave to further is career, end of, move on and focus on the bigger picture. If people can't offer a player who's given years of service to the club a genuine thank you then don't comment at all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

Would someone like me to translate this? Possibly add some punctuation, correct the spelling mistakes and generally delete it all for being absolute total sh*te.

By your own admission on many occasions due to personal circumstances you don't manage to get to games so what makes you so highly qualified to pass judgement on the situation and suggest it's a myth.

The guy has decided to leave to further is career, end of, move on and focus on the bigger picture. If people can't offer a player who's given years of service to the club a genuine thank you then don't comment at all.

Before you criticise someone else's spelling and punctuation, I would suggest sorting your own. Why do you think you are allowed to say who can express an opinion on the forum? The whole point of a forum is for all opinions to be voiced. If you don't agree with it, Fine but to deny someone their opinion is a bit totalitarian.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

Before you criticise someone else's spelling and punctuation, I would suggest sorting your own. Why do you think you are allowed to say who can express an opinion on the forum? The whole point of a forum is for all opinions to be voiced. If you don't agree with it, Fine but to deny someone their opinion is a bit totalitarian.

You've missed the main points from my post which are borne on frustration at the number of negative posts I've read especially on this thread. In my opinion there are too many users on here who like to post jibes and criticism of players where on the whole it is unnecessary, doesn't help our cause and who are we to say they are making a mistake.

We are supposed to be supporters but at times I see little support, we are a small club who progress players who then move on, it's happened before and will happen again so why do we feel the need to criticise them for doing so. This won't change so how about a little thank you and appreciation now and again.

Who are we to say that they are right and wrong in what decisions they make? I was once told by an employer I'm making a big mistake leaving their company, 9 years later I'm in a job paying more than double the salary far better off than I was. Players have to make the very same decisions and live and die by them, there was once a time gone by where everyone would wish players who move on the best of luck, unless they were Maurice Johnston or similar.   

I'm not denying anyone their opinion, the phrase I used was possibly a little harsh and maybe could have been worded better but it was to make a point. 

Now that I have managed to firmly go off topic I'll bring it back and re-iterating what I've previously said by wishing Liam Polworth the very best at Motherwell and hope his decision works out. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

You've missed the main points from my post which are borne on frustration at the number of negative posts I've read especially on this thread. In my opinion there are too many users on here who like to post jibes and criticism of players where on the whole it is unnecessary, doesn't help our cause and who are we to say they are making a mistake.

We are supposed to be supporters but at times I see little support, we are a small club who progress players who then move on, it's happened before and will happen again so why do we feel the need to criticise them for doing so. This won't change so how about a little thank you and appreciation now and again.

Who are we to say that they are right and wrong in what decisions they make? I was once told by an employer I'm making a big mistake leaving their company, 9 years later I'm in a job paying more than double the salary far better off than I was. Players have to make the very same decisions and live and die by them, there was once a time gone by where everyone would wish players who move on the best of luck, unless they were Maurice Johnston or similar.   

I'm not denying anyone their opinion, the phrase I used was possibly a little harsh and maybe could have been worded better but it was to make a point. 

Now that I have managed to firmly go off topic I'll bring it back and re-iterating what I've previously said by wishing Liam Polworth the very best at Motherwell and hope his decision works out. 

I'm sure those who want to wish him well and thank him will do so and those who have other views will either post them or keep their thoughts private.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Try and keep it on track guys. Keep your disagreements civil or take them to PM.

PM could be construed as being to Post Mortem or Prime Minister (not much difference !!). Try and use abbreviations that do not have double meanings.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:49 PM, Alan Simpson said:

Where's this vicious abuse Polly seems to take. It's a feckin myth. Abuse of "big boy" footballers is surely akin to water of a ducks back! Lets just wait and see how his career pans out now. I like Polly. I think he's class but I don't think he'll get much game time at Motherwell. To be honest - What's he going to do if he gets abuse from the false, Outer Glasgow fan base at Motherwell.

Personally I prefer the original.

• Funny 1