Scotty

From reading the above it sounds as if the ref saw ICT as a target? How many times have I seen this written down this season? Is this same old, same old,  and are we fated or something ,I wonder? Or are we just bringing on misery towards ourselves by not doing the right things or not trying hard enough?

As for shouting at the newbie or the youngster that's not going to work or help at all. By doing this you only help to reduce his confidence even further because for sure he knows he either blew it or chose the wrong actions.But keeping your voice level and speaking  words of encouragement will help him to forget the mistake and help him to re-establish his confidence. You cannot develop a player's full potential by berating him with harangue after harangue.---unless he is a Smart Alec of course ……..:whistle:

This is a disappointing result . Let's hope there are major changes in the approach by the players and a lot of thought being given to the choice of players by J.R.for the remaining games. For those of us who think that it's going to be easy then please think again.It's that as a matter of urgency or (as it seems to me from afar) just failure to progress I am afraid. Also, John should  instruct the players to not do things that give refs a chance to earmark ICT as the bogeyman (that can beat the Celtic and Rangers  like) and needs to be taken down by one means or another ----- for the team's own good of course.

It was a very disappointing performance,  especially after our last game against utd in the cup. We were well off the pace today, second to every ball and our passing game wasn't up to scratch. As I have  said before on here, we have a good first eleven and we struggle when some of them are missing. Yesterday,  we had Ridgers, Donaldson, Tremarco and Welsh out and it showed in the performance. Also some of our established players had an off day, and that combination is not going to win you matches. I thought we had a few chances in the first half, but it's the same old story,  lack of a cutting edge, and then utd go and score with there first real attack. The other thing that was so obvious to all those sitting around me was how slow we are to counter. Time after time game after game, teams counter on us at speed and are at our box in a couple of passes, we on the other hand get the ball in good positions and turn back and let our opponents get back into their shape and try to play through them by passing it back and forth across the back four. It doesn't work, we don't have the quality to do that. As for that mazy run by young Mcdonald,  I thought Austin could have gambled at the far post and slid in, but to have go at the young lad is unacceptable,  that's Robbo's job if he sees fit. After the hand ball goal, by one of the leagues best divers, our heads went down, and I couldn't see us getting anything from the game,  but with other results going our way we are in the play offs, something I didn't think we would achieve this season, so that's a plus point. Maybe the players were anxious going into the game knowing how much was at stake,  who knows, but now we can get some players fit over the next two games and plan for our play off matches. If we play to our potential,  we can do it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tactically we got this spot on yesterday. It was basically a meaningless game as will be the games against Alloa and Dunfermline. Dundee United felt it was an easy win - long may that thought continue especially if we can beat Ayr in the play offs. 3rd place for us might mean a few extra pounds - which is important - but tiring ourselves out is not the strategy for beating Ayr and then taking on Dundee United again with the little *****  likely to see if can add to the two controversial penalties he has 'won' against us and the extremely dubious goal he scored yesterday (one could argue what goes around comes around with justice against us for the Meekings handball). Eventually a referee though will see through him. If we are serious about the play offs we plan for them - not Alloa or Dunfermline. 4th gives us a better advantage with second legs away. 

• Agree 1

Most seem to have missed the point that we were three or four players short of our first choice. Insert, Ridgers, Donaldson and Tremarco and we will be closer to the mark. Lot of guff on here about us playing rubbish. I thought we were OK given our resources available and Jamie McCart was top player for me. Polworth for the most part looked like he was avoiding injury and could have played for Motherwell yesterday, one good burst forward and shot apart. Donaldson was sorely missed. I would like to see Brad's penalty claim again. I was within 20 yards of this and thought his foot was clipped as he tried to turn. Instead of a penalty he got sent off. 

Can we beat United again? Of course we can, we tore them a new one in the Cup game.

Maybe Robbo got this one just right, like he did prior to the cup game. We have bigger fish to fry.

And to the mutant spouting rubbish all game. WTF!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

9 hours ago, Satan said:

Handball... dry your eyes. 

Weren't nearly good enough.

Could've played 'next goals' the winner' and still would have lost.

If's and but's . Our season has been punctuated by them. 

Do you really think we are capable?...Not just hoping...hope gets you only so far, but really think so??

Too often we have come up short when we 'expected ' more.

I think some will be let down, again.

Do you go to away games or just home games?

• Like 1

Judge for yourself again. Plenty of opportunities, none taken. McMullan goal that shouldn't have stood, great chances missed at both ends, all in, a decent game, poor result.

Given that a lot of our fans, myself included, spent the last few days lording it up over a handball against Celtic a few years back we can't say much when it comes back to haunt us. Swings and roundabouts. 

I'm more concerned with the fact we didn't play to the whistle. Rookie mistake. 

• Agree 3

Sorry I can't fathom how yesterday could be seen as a good performance.

Utd were no great shakes but we sat off them, were 2nd to every ball and our passes were slack all over the park. We have virtually zero ideas when we get into the final third when we did create a half chance it was wasted. Apart from the last 7 minutes we didn't have any urgency about our play at all. 

My expectations these days aren't very high but if people think that's a good game fair enough.  

• Agree 6

Thought we were terrible yesterday the keeper looks proper dodgy as well a win yesterday would've done the confidence going in to the play offs the world of good ! No positives to take out of yesterday would've rather seen some of our youngsters playing that was 1 of the worst performances Iv seen in a long time!

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, IBM said:

Well I must have missed that one as I have never seen Nathan Austin do anything brilliant!  He comes on runs about falls over gets hurt and creates nothing, today he missed a sitter and started shouting at Macdonald?

You must of missed that game  against Dumbarton where he scored a Hat-trick or the game against Dunfermline where he scored a brilliant goal.

He definitely has talent & can score goals which is why this season has been so frustrating regarding Nathan Austin. In some games like the one yesterday he was just plain average forcing one comfortable save from the keeper with a rather tame shot  .

In a couple of games he has started this season (Ayr Falkirk) he looked decent & was anything but lazy even scoring a couple of goals against Ayr.

I'm hoping he will go when his contract is up at the end of the season cause he is one of the most inconsistent strikers i have seen play for ICT can't ever see him getting his form back.

Edited by Super Caley Man 94
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Super Caley Man 94 said:

You must of missed that game  against Dumbarton where he scored a Hat-trick or the game against Dunfermline where he scored a brilliant goal.

You must have missed every other game this season where he does absolutely nothing apart from standing around and falling over 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, caleydawson said:

You must have missed every other game this season where he does absolutely nothing apart from standing around and falling over 

Ahh caleydawson that will be the games I was thinking about ?

When we play as we did yesterday, slow and ponderous, teams can let us have the ball safe in the knowledge that after 20 passes from left to right and back again , we will eventually lose possession.  In United's case they have the players that can and did open us up easily with very few passes. 

When we speed it up , not giving time for defences to reset we are more threatening, but we seem to forget how to do this, time  and time again.

• Agree 2

Some absolute nonsense written about this game and performance by some posters. Up until the second goal, there was nothing in this game and it had been quite entertaining. The second goal for United changed the way the game panned out completely. United had a cushion and we had to take some risks to get back into the game. I have no worries about facing United in the paly offs if it happens as do not think they are a great team and will not always get the breaks from a poor referee yesterday.

Some will argue that the referee did not cost us the game but he certainly altered the course of it. How he missed the hand ball for the second goal is unbelievable. He wasn't far from the incident but to not see that was poor poor refereeing. To say that it hit McMullen's shoulder is just adding insult to injury and for the linesman not to see this either was equally as bad. The sending off of Brad was also a joke. Looked to me as if he cautioned him for a dive which if correct is another ridiculous decision. Everyone knows that refs will make mistakes as they have only one opportunity to see an incident but both these incidents were so clear cut, you don't need a TV replay to see the ref was wrong. Generally thought he was poor in other respects as well, White being continually fouled when he jumped for the ball and Nicky Clark never jumped for the ball at all, preferring to jump at or into our defenders while he was on the park but got away with it.

In saying all that, we didn't play at our best, especially in midfield. I think a few of our players are out on their feet just now or carrying knocks and they need a rest. I don't agree with those shouting to give the "young" players a chance prior to this game but hope that one or two may get a chance in the next two games. It seems that Austin has become the new whipping boy for the keyboard warriors on this site and the booing/abuse he got yesterday was out of order. There does seem to be a section of our support who always want to pick on certain players and they should take a long hard look at themselves as indeed, should some posters on here whose posts make me wonder why they support ICT at all as they are continuously negative. I appreciate not everything is perfect for ICT just now but some posters need to get a grip and appreciate the level we are at just now and get behind the team, not constantly carp at it. No doubt, I will be accused of being a happy clapper ( and worse) but could give a ***k after reading some of the nonsense spouted by certain posters.

• Agree 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 3

On 4/20/2019 at 7:19 PM, IBM said:

Well I must have missed that one as I have never seen Nathan Austin do anything brilliant!  He comes on runs about falls over gets hurt and creates nothing, today he missed a sitter and started shouting at Macdonald?

Totally agree with u there pal, Austin is a total waste of a wage now. Needs punted ASAP 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Having read all the posts I can see a wide view span of opinions which is normal.

My view is we were not great but their second goal was clear handball and should have been a foul and no goal.

That leaves one goal between the teams , but the constant negativity of some fans berating the whole team or certain players is disappointing.

We have reached the semi finals of the Scottish Cup, we are in the playoffs 6 games away from a return to The Premiership, Yet some people are spouting rubbish about us not turning up for games and never having a chance of beating Utd and Ayr , we have proved we can do this so why the negativity?

We top the away league in The Championship but we have a poorer points total from our home games, Robbo tried to point out this earlier in the season too, but was berated by many on here.as he asked for same support at home as away.

The point still stands we need to support our team at home like we do away. thats why I think the guys and girls that go to away games havs a far more balanced view of the team and appreciate the efforts made to get us to where we are, going into the last two games of the campaign.

Cmon everyone lets drop the negativity and get behind the team as our support will be crucial in the playoffs.

Edited by Gregor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gregor said:

Having read all the posts I can see a wide view span of opinions which is normal.

My view is we were not great but their second goal was clear handball and should have been a foul and no goal.

That leaves one goal between the teams , but the constant negativity of some fans berating the whole team or certain players is disappointing.

We have reached the semi finals of the Scottish Cup, we are in the playoffs 6 games away from a return to The Premiership, Yet some people are spouting rubbish about us not turning up for games and never having a chance of beating Utd and Ayr , we have proved we can do this so why the negativity?

We top the away league in The Championship but we have a poorer points total from our home games, Robbo tried to point out this earlier in the season too, but was berated by many on here.as he asked for same support at home as away.

The point still stands we need to support our team at home like we do away. thats why I think the guys and girls that go to away games havs a far more balanced view of the team and appreciate the efforts made to get us to where we are, going into the last two games of the campaign.

Cmon everyone lets drop the negativity and get behind the team as our support will be crucial in the playoffs.

See I just don't understand the logic here with this argument.... The away fans usually consist of on average, say 100-200? Now a good portion of that is youngsters who see it as a day out, go for a few beforehand and are jolly and fired up. I'm all for them and think that they are brilliant at creating an atmosphere, however let's look at Sat or in fact any home game really where at least 1000-1500 people turn up and give their support even though results and performances have been lacklustre. To me that's a good backing. They may not cheer and sing throughout the game but on the whole they give the team a resounding chorus when we either score or create something that deserves a bit of accolade.... Now let's be honest there's been scant examples of either at home this season. Our style of football is what makes the fans stay largely quiet in my opinion, any other team in the league generally when given a chance surge through the middle of the park at pace and this gives their fans a sudden moment to get excited and cheer regardless of end result whereas our style of football means we watch he ball go back and forwards... sideways numerous times, passed around like a training exercise around the box until eventually its either snuffed out or someone fires it well over the stadium roof. So there's never really that sudden element of fast movement to get people excited and I think this is why we go so quiet, people almost go to sleep! They are watching and taking it in, but in a very subdued and docile manner. I've seen it numerous times when we do score after a period of this, that the celebration is somewhat delayed and quiet as if suddenly the home supporters have actually woken up. I definitely think if we played this style of quick attacking football on a regular basis the crowd would be more up for it from the start, however the biggest problem with that is as soon as we try to play that type of game we start losing goals as we switch off at the back! 

Edited by CableGuy
  • Agree 3

16 hours ago, Huisdean said:

Some absolute nonsense written about this game and performance by some posters. Up until the second goal, there was nothing in this game and it had been quite entertaining. The second goal for United changed the way the game panned out completely. United had a cushion and we had to take some risks to get back into the game. I have no worries about facing United in the paly offs if it happens as do not think they are a great team and will not always get the breaks from a poor referee yesterday.

Some will argue that the referee did not cost us the game but he certainly altered the course of it. How he missed the hand ball for the second goal is unbelievable. He wasn't far from the incident but to not see that was poor poor refereeing. To say that it hit McMullen's shoulder is just adding insult to injury and for the linesman not to see this either was equally as bad. The sending off of Brad was also a joke. Looked to me as if he cautioned him for a dive which if correct is another ridiculous decision. Everyone knows that refs will make mistakes as they have only one opportunity to see an incident but both these incidents were so clear cut, you don't need a TV replay to see the ref was wrong. Generally thought he was poor in other respects as well, White being continually fouled when he jumped for the ball and Nicky Clark never jumped for the ball at all, preferring to jump at or into our defenders while he was on the park but got away with it.

In saying all that, we didn't play at our best, especially in midfield. I think a few of our players are out on their feet just now or carrying knocks and they need a rest. I don't agree with those shouting to give the "young" players a chance prior to this game but hope that one or two may get a chance in the next two games. It seems that Austin has become the new whipping boy for the keyboard warriors on this site and the booing/abuse he got yesterday was out of order. There does seem to be a section of our support who always want to pick on certain players and they should take a long hard look at themselves as indeed, should some posters on here whose posts make me wonder why they support ICT at all as they are continuously negative. I appreciate not everything is perfect for ICT just now but some posters need to get a grip and appreciate the level we are at just now and get behind the team, not constantly carp at it. No doubt, I will be accused of being a happy clapper ( and worse) but could give a ***k after reading some of the nonsense spouted by certain posters.

Thankyou, Huisdean, for saying what needs to be said.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, RiG said:

Given that a lot of our fans, myself included, spent the last few days lording it up over a handball against Celtic a few years back we can't say much when it comes back to haunt us. Swings and roundabouts. 

I'm more concerned with the fact we didn't play to the whistle. Rookie mistake. 

There doesn't appear to be swings or roundabouts when it comes to Mcmullen, that's two dubious penalty dives and a handball against us in the last two seasons - perhaps we will get some revenge in the play-offs if we get past Ayr.

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic