Crowds.

Kingsmills

Had a quick look at the crowds for this season.

Seem to be holding up pretty well in the circumstances  (Championship and pretty poor fare): most matches over 2,000. Don't think they were much higher in our SPL days??

It always amazed me that the higher we went in the leagues (as well as gathering a few notable cup scalps), the lower the crowds became.  A bit of it down to the novelty factor wearing off?

1 hour ago, DWH said:

Seem to be holding up pretty well in the circumstances  (Championship and pretty poor fare): most matches over 2,000. Don't think they were much higher in our SPL days??

It always amazed me that the higher we went in the leagues (as well as gathering a few notable cup scalps), the lower the crowds became.  A bit of it down to the novelty factor wearing off?

Our average crowds in the top league were always in excess of 4,000

2 hours ago, DWH said:

Not sure what crowds you are looking at though I do agree that the novelty factor has worn off. Currently our average is 1,000 less than the last time we were in this league which is concerning. In fact, our current season average is only just above our average crowd for our 3rd season in the league in the old Third Division.

Crowds.PNG

Such depressing stats.   Sorry but I, and quite a few more, enjoy the awaydays to the Championship teams.  Much more pleasant than awaydays to the so called Premier League.   ICT may never get huge crowds but those who do attend, week end week out, do so for our love of ICT.  I don’t have a magic wand to encourage more fans but, evenings such as the Sponsors Night this week showed that the young ones really do want to meet the players.  Numbers at games don’t reflect the passion but ..... I look at the attendances each week and ICT not doing so badly compared to some in Premier League (ugly sisters excepted/will never go there again/toxic).  Some of you should compare like for like - ICT not doing badly overall.  

1 hour ago, RiG said:

Not sure what crowds you are looking at though I do agree that the novelty factor has worn off. Currently our average is 1,000 less than the last time we were in this league which is concerning. In fact, our current season average is only just above our average crowd for our 3rd season in the league in the old Third Division.

Crowds.PNG

What caused the massive drop in figures between the 2012/13 and the 2013/14 seasons? Is that a result of the Gers being dropkicked to Division 3, and restarting life as The Rangers?

Funny that the 3 seasons  with our lowest crowds in the Premiership were the 3 seasons Yogi was here!  :whistle:  But to be fair to Yogi, the main reason for the drop off in crowds will undoubtedly be due to the absence of certain big teams from the top flight.  Not just the absence of The Rangers but Hibs and Hearts too.

What would be far more meaningful in understanding how local support has changed over the years would be details of the numbers coming through the home turnstiles.  These figures will also be influenced by who the opposition is but not by anything like as much as the total crowd figures will be.  Unfortunately the club don't release these figures 

I'm quite impressed that this season shows an improvement over last season.

Could that be purely due to 2 home games against our neighbours?

Or are the crowds really returning to the Caley Stadium?

1 hour ago, buckett said:

I'm quite impressed that this season shows an improvement over last season.

Could that be purely due to 2 home games against our neighbours?

Or are the crowds really returning to the Caley Stadium?

The increase is very small and I would think the games with County would account for the difference.  If both they and Dundee Utd go up and Falkirk go down, that would result in the loss of a not insignificant proportion of the number of visiting supporters.  It would make it very, very difficult to retain gate receipts at the same level next season.  

If I had numbers for home fans only I would have charted that but you can only go with what is available. FWIW I recall games against Killie in our opening few seasons in the old SPL which attracted round about 4,000 fans. By the time we were relegated these same fixtures were attracting just over 3,000 fans. Whilst the away crowds will have dropped over time (save for Rangers, Celtic matches) our home crowds clearly diminished by several hundreds as the novelty factor wore off.

Whatever the make up of the numbers the fact is with the average crowd having dropped by 1,500 in just two years we have missed out on a lot of cash and also support for the team as well (though I accept some of those "missing" supporters will be away fans).

Personally I see us just ticking along like St Johnstone, the only real difference is what we have managed to achieve in such a short time. Saints pull in about the same in attendence maybe a couple hundred more DESPITE being pretty much slap bang in the centre of Scotland, and being an older club they too struggle to pull in the crowds and hadnt seen an improvement at home games despite winning the Scottish Cup. Just like us.

2 hours ago, BallisticSheriff said:

Personally I see us just ticking along like St Johnstone, the only real difference is what we have managed to achieve in such a short time. Saints pull in about the same in attendence maybe a couple hundred more DESPITE being pretty much slap bang in the centre of Scotland, and being an older club they too struggle to pull in the crowds and hadnt seen an improvement at home games despite winning the Scottish Cup. Just like us.

There is a reason for that. They have lots of room for corporate activity especially during week. Unlike us! 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

There is a reason for that. They have lots of room for corporate activity especially during week. Unlike us! 

Largely due to Asda going ahead with the purchase of their old ground whereas they did not pursue their initial interest in ours.

9 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Largely due to Asda going ahead with the purchase of their old ground whereas they did not pursue their initial interest in ours.

Yes of course. I was just offering an explanation of how ST J get most of their income. 

4 hours ago, old caley girl said:

My brother and I were at Hospitality against Queen of the South and it was cracking for £40, he then went to hospitality at Saints V Celtic and it was a cold chicken drumstick and some crisps for £100+

They may have more room for activities but they suffer from an uninterested city unless its a big big game, like us.

Just read that playoffs DO NOT get included on our season tickets, rather are being sold separately as if it's a separate competition.

Seems a bit crummy if you're paying hundred quid to see us play 32 mediocre games (excluding the derbies, those were decent) to be slapped with add ons, for (what is actually) an extension to the league season... 

You forgot to add that it's not just our club that has to do this

ICTFC

The club would like to clarify the following: 

These Prices are the minimum which can be charged for a Ladbrokes Premiership play-off in accordance with SPFL rules. 

Also in accordance with SPFL rules, Season Tickets are not valid for this match. 

SPFL Rules forbid these games to be included in the Season Ticket of any club. 

20 minutes ago, BallisticSheriff said:

My brother and I were at Hospitality against Queen of the South and it was cracking for £40, he then went to hospitality at Saints V Celtic and it was a cold chicken drumstick and some crisps for £100+

They may have more room for activities but they suffer from an uninterested city unless its a big big game, like us.

They use all their hospitality suites all week though so much bigger income 

4 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

ICTFC

These Prices are the minimum which can be charged for a Ladbrokes Premiership play-off in accordance with SPFL rules. 

Also in accordance with SPFL rules, Season Tickets are not valid for this match. 

Exactly 

12 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

They use all their hospitality suites all week though so much bigger income 

Thought we were talking about Crowds? I'm drawing similarities with us and Saints as they are a one team city like us. We've both had success in recent years and both have stadiums far from the city centre with not a lot around it. Saints make a bit of cash from funerals and meetings, like you say, but they too suffer from low turnouts.

35 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

ICTFC

Typical SFA. Haven't they got enough money in their pockets after shifting kick offs just to suit the Telly?

2 hours ago, BallisticSheriff said:

Thought we were talking about Crowds? I'm drawing similarities with us and Saints as they are a one team city like us. We've both had success in recent years and both have stadiums far from the city centre with not a lot around it. Saints make a bit of cash from funerals and meetings, like you say, but they too suffer from low turnouts.

Inverness is not a one-team city.

2 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Typical SFA. Haven't they got enough money in their pockets after shifting kick offs just to suit the Telly?

Nothing to do with the SFA.

Paying for cup games or playoffs is standard practice the world over. 

Think of it another way - as we debate our club being skint --- the club can budget or at least be aware of the fact that they will host 16 home league games. These have costs that need to be budgeted for when we set ticket prices. Costs such as heat, light, stewarding, policing, etc etc etc. We cannot know before the season how many cup games we may be involved in, or if we will be in the playoffs. If we did - and having these in the package was actually allowed - then we would have to factor in that cost into the overall season ticket price. You would not "pay" for these games when they came along as you already did so ......

I was the same over here in 2016 and 2017 when Toronto got to the MLS Cup Final .... cost me about $300 for my season ticket, then as the playoffs came along it cost me the same again over about 4 or 5 games in our run to the final each year. Same applied when the club were in the Champions League over here. We actually got the first game 'included' in the ticket price but had to pay for all others in our run to the final of that competition too !  My $300 season suddenly became  about $900 ! 

Personally, I think crowds are down because people have so many other things to spend their ever decreasing discretionary cash on, and the football authorities have, over the years, made the sport less enjoyable and killed the atmosphere to a point where going to a game is not high priority for those outside of the diehards.

There are probably things the club can do better, but its not their fault that a typical football game nowadays involves 'customers' turning up to a stadium to be treated like potential criminals for a disproportionate sum of money that has to sustain ever spiralling costs, to be fed on over-priced crap, while watching a game that is inevitably of a lower standard than we have been used to because the Scottish game just cant compete even with the lowest tiers in England because of TV money. 

I dont know the answer, no clue at all, but as much as the club can do, the SFA and SPFL need to try and figure something out for everyone's sakes !       

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, dougiedanger said:

Inverness is not a one-team city

Yeah I know, I"m meaning more like Falkirk, Perth and Aberdeen where they have one "big" team and not like Dundee where theres Dundee  United and Dundee FC.