ICT Youth in Highland League.

On 5/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, old caley girl said:

The difference is there would be a vacancy which we would apply for under the rules. The SPFL seem hellbent on parachutting OF teams whatever. I dont see any vacancies in the championship? 

Im not totally sold on the idea but we need to find some pathway for the young players. 

it is vitally important that our youngsters play against men as soon as they are ready. yet another priority for the club but one which could save us a lot of money in the future 

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Still think that Kingsmill's idea of playing Highland League teams on their week off is by far the best option ?

absolutely nothing wrong in that and we successfully did exactly that many years ago when Doc was reserve team manager. It also gave good experience and game time to u16, u17, full time youth and seniors coming back from injury. just goes to show change for the sake of change does not necessarily help.

7 hours ago, caleyboy said:

seemingly some boys going on loan to Fort William

My home town team and I still look (painfully) for their results. Would be nice to see them do well there and get Fort William off the bottom of the league!

• 3 weeks later...

Presumably that rules them out of appearing for us. The nine are Martin MacKinnon, Donald Morrison, Gabriel Hastings, Ryan Fyffe, Harry Nicolson, Jack Brown, Kieran Chalmers, Ross Gunn and Roddy Kennedy. 

Having been brought up in Fort William, I hope this gives them stability and our lads experience so all benefit. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Presumably that rules them out of appearing for us. The nine are Martin MacKinnon, Donald Morrison, Gabriel Hastings, Ryan Fyffe, Harry Nicolson, Jack Brown, Kieran Chalmers, Ross Gunn and Roddy Kennedy. 

Having been brought up in Fort William, I hope this gives them stability and our lads experience so all benefit. 

Pretty much. Either until their loan expires or, unlikely, their recall. Reason why I'm saying unlikely is unless we've got an injury crisis and we desperately need players, they'll be staying there and giving Fort William some wins...

11 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Pretty much. Either until their loan expires or, unlikely, their recall. Reason why I'm saying unlikely is unless we've got an injury crisis and we desperately need players, they'll be staying there and giving Fort William some wins...

don't know about getting some wins as they will find a big difference playing senior football. good experience for them and I hope they develope their game so that they come back to us.

I'd expect some wins if not some better performances,  when they are added to the experienced core at Fort William they will make a difference...remember the youngsters are full time so after any adjustment period they will start to hold their own in many of the games.

Although not all will start I'd expect the ones furthest forward in development will raise a few eyebrows when they start touring the league's grounds.

Obviously the suggestion of a colt team was rejected and clearly there cant be rules stating how many loan players can be at a HL club or indeed from a single club but its clear ICT are using the FW desire to improve as a vehicle for essentially a colt team. While within the rules it does create a precedent and will we now see other clubs locally or wider Scotland looking at the HL as a opportunity to flood with youngsters to the detriment of these clubs own player development. We all know theres no limit as to how many players clubs can loan out but there needs to be controls as to how many any club can take onboard regardless of league.

• Agree 1

This arrangement is effectively keeping Fort William alive so is unlikely to be replicated, particularly with the distance between most Highland League teams and SPFL teams. Really only Aberdeen or County who may replicate it. It is a good way to keep our youngsters with the club, give. Their success last season and potential, whereas previously many may have been released. Will they still appear for our under 18s 

Mackay, MacGregor, Harper and Machado must be fully fledged first team members now as they are not involved. 

Many of the team won't be eligible for u18s this year,  so unless they played for the first team we couldn't have kept them on without going on loan anyway. 

The four mentioned above are already fringe members of the first team and are expected to make much more appearances this year.

The plan being that some of the Fort William loanees get into the first team next year.

Until we have finances to support reserve level football this is our best bet.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Satan said:

Many of the team won't be eligible for u18s this year,  so unless they played for the first team we couldn't have kept them on without going on loan anyway. 

The four mentioned above are already fringe members of the first team and are expected to make much more appearances this year.

The plan being that some of the Fort William loanees get into the first team next year.

Until we have finances to support reserve level football this is our best bet.

You are right Satan, I hope it works out for the young players and both teams. It would be nice to see Fort William get some points and off the bottom of the league. 

2 hours ago, Satan said:

...remember the youngsters are full time ...

So will they train with ICT, except on the days (more likely evenings) that Fort William train?

Will they train with Fort William at all? 

I remember that when Caley and Thistle (and others) had many Aberdeen players, they all trained together in Aberdeen, and often travelled together on the train to and from matches.

3 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Obviously the suggestion of a colt team was rejected and clearly there cant be rules stating how many loan players can be at a HL club or indeed from a single club but its clear ICT are using the FW desire to improve as a vehicle for essentially a colt team. While within the rules it does create a precedent and will we now see other clubs locally or wider Scotland looking at the HL as a opportunity to flood with youngsters to the detriment of these clubs own player development. We all know theres no limit as to how many players clubs can loan out but there needs to be controls as to how many any club can take onboard regardless of league.

I’m sure I read that only 3 are on loan but the other 6 have been freed to Fort William as players and there wages paid by ICT? Although maybe I picked that up wrong?

I actually think it’s a great arrangement for both clubs. Having known some of the previous Fort William management, i’m Aware of how difficult it is for them to attract players and how it’s especially difficult for them to get squads for away games. I got a text one Saturday morning asking if I knew any amateur league goalkeepers as they had none for the afternoon. They ended up using an outfield player in goals. It’s no use to the Highland league to have a team where a good result is a 6-0 defeat. This new arrangement is good for ICT, good for Fort William and good for the highland league.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Sir C the 3rd said:

I’m sure I read that only 3 are on loan but the other 6 have been freed to Fort William as players and there wages paid by ICT? Although maybe I picked that up wrong?

If that's the case then its just a dodgy go by IMO - although if you are released from an employer I'm not sure how you can still accept payment from that source without technically still being in some form of employee or at least have a legal affiliation. If we found The Rangers or Celtic had used a similar tactic to let youngsters play for a club there would be outcry that the bigger clubs are just finding ways around the rules against colts joining the league set up.

I'm not against what ICT are trying to do and I see the positives in the younger players getting game time, however it may open a door and start a precedent which other clubs may follow at which point those in glass houses and all that!!!

1 hour ago, Buster said:

How would we feel if Celtic loaned 9 young players to Dundee?

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that it's limited to 2 players between SPFL clubs in different divisions and 1 player between SPFL clubs in the same division.

I understand your sentiment though but the rules must be different with Fort William being in the Highland League - I;m still trying to find that part in the rules ................................

Edited by MrCaleyjag