ICT Youth in Highland League.

6 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

So will they train with ICT, except on the days (more likely evenings) that Fort William train?

Will they train with Fort William at all? 

I remember that when Caley and Thistle (and others) had many Aberdeen players, they all trained together in Aberdeen, and often travelled together on the train to and from matches.

Good questions to which I don't know the answer.  Hopefully somebody else will be able to provide it.

I have to say I am rather taken with this development for two reasons.  Firstly, it shows a real statement of faith in youngsters who did very well last year but not quite well enough to make the first team squad.  We all know that players develop at  different rates and who's to say that in time one of these lads won't eclipse those who have been included in the first team squad?  

The second reason is that all the lads stay together.  This means they are mutual support for each other in a different environment and the familiarity they have of each other on the park will allow them to perform to the best of their ability.  I often think it must be really hard for youngsters going out on lone, alone, to ambitious Highland League clubs stuffed with seasoned part timers who would have loved to have made the grade to be a full time footballer.  Maybe the loan experience is the making for some, but for many it is simply an introduction to the type of football that will later be seen as the pinnacle of their careers.

This is a win, win, win situation.   A win for the lads, for ICT and the Fort.  The only concern for Fort William will be what on earth they do when they get drawn against us in the 4th round of the Scottish cup!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I don’t know how many of our youngsters played, but Fort William lost 6-0 at Brora today. Probably an improvement on their result there last season. 

Edited by Robert

Interesting posts from David Dowling on Facebook:

"The first day of the new season is always something to look forward to. Fab start for Brora Rangers beating Caley Thistle Colts 6-0 to go top of the league after day one. Lots of very tough challenges ahead but great to start with a win."  

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Interesting posts from David Dowling on Facebook:

"The first day of the new season is always something to look forward to. Fab start for Brora Rangers beating Caley Thistle Colts 6-0 to go top of the league after day one. Lots of very tough challenges ahead but great to start with a win."  

Who's David Dowling supporting this week then?

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Well, he is a director of Brora.  Noticed that earlier this year - don't know how long he has been there.

He has been there since he left Clach.  I wonder what he did with his car registration C1ACH :ponder:

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, IBM said:

He has been there since he left Clach.  I wonder what he did with his car registration C1ACH :ponder:

Last I saw it Jim Oliver was wearing it on his motor but that was a long time ago.

32 minutes ago, Super Caley Man 94 said:

5-2 to Fort William against Nairn County (North Cup) Jack Brown scored a 30 yard curler looks like our youth players are making a difference.  

Won't make much of a difference when we get drawn against them next round, can't play...

• Facepalm 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched The Fort on the BBC I-player tonight. Sheer respect to those keeping the club going. 

I really hope they are on board with having our youngsters and that it revitalises them. 

It would be good if a follow up series was done this season with a more positive series of results. 

They are in Grantown tomorrow to play Strathspey, typically a team near the bottom, so three points must be a possibility. 

Worth taping Jeff Stelling on Sky in case he picks up on a positive result??

Edited by Robert

18 minutes ago, Moogthurso said:

I was very tempted to go to grantown today to watch it. 

But ill wait until fort are away to lossie forres nairn rothes and kieth. 

Why doesn't stadium announcer give out the score for the fort game at half time. 

Think it's the fact most sources post the Highland League score at Full Time, so there's no way of knowing unless you're scrolling through their Twitter. For example, FlashScore (which I use) shows minute by minute scores yadda yadda for all the professional leagues, but when it comes to non-league, they update it once their game is done.

• 2 weeks later...