Dundee Utd -V- Inverness CT (playoff leg 2)

Scotty

25 minutes ago, Satan said:

Officiating aside, our depth of squad has ultimately done us in over the season. Too many games for key players - rushing some back from injury too quick, it just all added up.

Losing Welsh probably the biggest as he had come on to a great game before his injury, and our midfield never looked as strong without him.

The recent run of games has been incredible due to the patched up squad of guys we have relied on, time and time again - losing Carl a few weeks ago again hurt us and finally losing Liam not only cost us Tuesday but had a knock on effect last night.

Monumental effort first half then the ref did his thing ...

Tough one for next year, but the rebuild must continue - now we know 3rd or 4th is no use lets go for the title. 

We have had our differences over the season mate but that summing up is spot on .

Im sure big Jordan would admit he should have scored and Doran too but those lads have played their hearts out all season and especially in the playoffs.

Whatever anyone thinks of misses should have a look at Nicky Clarks and then you will inderstand what a sitter is.

I agree

"Monumental effort and then the ref did his thing"

Edited by Gregor
  • Agree 1

As long as Utd fail to get up, I'll be happy.

Need to be far sharper in the final third. Far too much long ball stuff instead of moving it on the ground. No goals in 180 minutes is the main reason we failed.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, CableGuy said:

We're ******... Part time football beckons... Goodbye all u happy clappy fucky wankers I've had it..... The clubs ****** and u all are too.... Bye bye 

Your inability to have a decent debate, as you called it on another thread, and result to insulting people on here shows no bounds.

Mods please step in because I for one have hard enough of this, hopefully you do p*ss off and leave us to enjoy lively debate so we don't have to put up with this.

19 minutes ago, DWH said:

Need to be far sharper in the final third. Far too much long ball stuff instead of moving it on the ground. No goals in 180 minutes is the main reason we failed.

I would rather they went up. If they stay in the Championship they will be by far the best resources club in the division and hard to beat to the title.

I would far prefer either Hamilton or St Mirren both closer to us in terms of resources.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, MrCaleyjag said:

Your inability to have a decent debate, as you called it on another thread, and result to insulting people on here shows no bounds.

Mods please step in because I for one have hard enough of this, hopefully you do p*ss off and leave us to enjoy lively debate so we don't have to put up with this.

Just ignore it. He was banned from the topic about 12 hours ago.

Given our budget, resources and player turnover recently and most people's expectations at the start of the season, had you given us 3rd place and Scottish Cup semi final at the start of the season, I reckon most would have said fair enough.

Yes we always want more but you reap what you sow. Sluggish start to the season, too many draws, toothless at times and a smaller squad have ultimately cost us.

I really can't fault the players effort and endeavour all season, we were just beaten by superior players and clubs with bigger budgets. Hopefully Utd go up as I can't do with another season of them in the Championship, they can take their big budget with them and level the playing field.

When Utd got their penalty and scored it's the most disappointed I've felt at a game for as long as I can remember. All hope drained as it did the players from what was a very good first half display. That's the positives we need to take forward into next season.

Onwards and upwards and promotion next season

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, DWH said:

Just now, Kingsmills said:

I would rather they went up. If they stay in the Championship they will be by far the best resources club in the division and hard to beat to the title.

I would far prefer either Hamilton or St Mirren both closer to us in terms of resources.

I'm with Kingsmills on this one. I think Neilson is a great manager so they'd be favourites next year. If it's Hamilton plus Dundee, who are a shambles at the moment, we've got a decent chance of coming first or second. I think Robbo has steadily improved the squad over the two years he's been here, even if he is working with buttons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Great effort by the team and fantastic backing from the away fans. Unfortunately effort alone will not win us anything.

It's the age olde saying: You can only p15h with the cork you've got.

We know our shortcomings and I'm sure we all know who we should be keeping, but I can't fault the effort of the players, they gave all they had.

Today/last night is not really the time for us to be slagging off the squad, but it should be a time to savour the microscopic shreds of success in a challenging season.

I'll come back to this in a few days as we learn to cope with another season in the Championship. I don't think we should be getting ahead of ourselves and expecting success next season either. Unless a miracle happens, we will still be in the Championship, still have no money and still have sh1te referees. 

Plenty of passion shown on the matchday thread, but try and keep it civil. No one died and we are all different with the same aim.

ps

Thank Christ the season has ended. No more match reports for a couple of months :banana:

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

Sounds like we were rather hard done by, but also a match too far for a slim squad...I think the players can hold their heads up high, and us fans can be rightly proud of a season where we got to the Cup Semi final and came third to the two best financed teams in the league....many pluses I think, McCart, Welsh, Walsh, Jordan (unfancied but plenty of goals) Doran, Donaldson, Trafford (coming good in the end) ...I have hopes for McCauley annd Daniel Mackay will be stronger next season. Would be great to get McDonald back (I think he's done well), and we've signed two already.

I have high hopes for next season.   :ictscarf:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not surprised with the outcome of the play-off. Usually the better quality team will win over two legs and United are a better team with better resources. I think everyone knows that we are building and next season the aim should be automatic promotion, but it won't be easy. 

I think it was an OK season. We got to Hampden, and finished 3rd in the league behind two teams who are better than us. Looking at it objectively, we're a small club, with a small following and limited funds, so we've probably finished where most predicted we would. As such, I don't agree with the doom and gloom, as at times we've played some excellent football this season. 

With some promising recent signings, next season should be interesting!

• Like 1

Just read Robbo's post match comments. I am surprised that he was so measured and restrained. The pomposity of those officiating in Scottish football is almost a match for the blazers that (mis)manage it.

Well said John Robertson.

• Agree 4

Ok Robbo is spot on with what he says about Ref's in Scotland totally agree with him  it is shocking but we cant blame them for not winning the game we never scored in either game despite chance after chance that is what has cost us we have seen it time after time all season not taking our chances or seeing games out and all the draws that is what cost us automatic promotion and until they address that problem we are going nowhere . Unlike some i do not think it has been a good season yes we made semi final of Scottish Cup but how often did we leave the ground after home games feeling happy or say we played well ? Now we have all heard the gossip that Coll is away he is going to be a huge miss he has been the best central defender at the club in years imo . Let's hope next season we have more win's less draw's and really go for it ?

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Great effort by the team and fantastic backing from the away fans. Unfortunately effort alone will not win us anything.

It's the age olde saying: You can only p15h with the cork you've got.

We know our shortcomings and I'm sure we all know who we should be keeping, but I can't fault the effort of the players, they gave all they had.

Today/last night is not really the time for us to be slagging off the squad, but it should be a time to savour the microscopic shreds of success in a challenging season.

I'll come back to this in a few days as we learn to cope with another season in the Championship. I don't think we should be getting ahead of ourselves and expecting success next season either. Unless a miracle happens, we will still be in the Championship, still have no money and still have sh1te referees. 

Plenty of passion shown on the matchday thread, but try and keep it civil. No one died and we are all different with the same aim.

ps

Thank Christ the season has ended. No more match reports for a couple of months :banana:

Well done on all the reports and previews

I for one appreciate the effort and enjoy reading them 

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Polo Chick said:

Ok Robbo is spot on with what he says about Ref's in Scotland totally agree with him  it is shocking but we cant blame them for not winning the game we never scored in either game despite chance after chance that is what has cost us we have seen it time after time all season not taking our chances or seeing games out and all the draws that is what cost us automatic promotion and until they address that problem we are going nowhere . Unlike some i do not think it has been a good season yes we made semi final of Scottish Cup but how often did we leave the ground after home games feeling happy or say we played well ? Now we have all heard the gossip that Coll is away he is going to be a huge miss he has been the best central defender at the club in years imo . Let's hope next season we have more win's less draw's and really go for it ?

We didn’t score but actually we lost four goals which cost us in reality .

Dont concede don’t lose

Score and could win

So in the second game the ref definitely cost us by a terrible penalty decision.

just how I look at football

• Disagree 1

What do folks on here expect of ICT

We have come third in the league with probably the sixth top budget in the league

We have reached the semi finals of the Scottish Cup

We reached the semi finals of the playoffs and decisions from the officials have cost us.

I think we have massively overachieved and the management and players deserve a lot of thanks for this.

Also the away fans deserve a lot of credit.

The neagative posters on here need to have a reality check and if they are not happy with what we have achieved this season, have a look at where Falkirk who are a bigger club and have a far bigger fan base than ourselves are this evening .

We certainly have a lot of moaners in our support.

Have a good summer folks 

hopefully the sun will lighten some perspectives on here?

• Agree 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, forresjags said:

Overachieved, absolutely no way, we finished 15 points behind the leaders and struggled to win enough games. A wee bit of perspective here please.

So do you think we should have been higher in the league than  County United and Falkirk?

Do you think we should have done better than last four in Scottish Cup?

I await your answers

4 hours ago, Gregor said:

So do you think we should have been higher in the league than  County United and Falkirk?

Do you think we should have done better than last four in Scottish Cup?

I await your answers

Still waiting 

Just watched the first half of the BT highlights - I only sat through that painful second half to applaud the players for their season so certainly wasn't going to watch it again. 

Funny how differently you see things at the time - as I experienced the Doran chance, about 10 seconds seemed to pass between the sublime first touch and the failed attempt to lift it over the keeper. Turns out it all happened in a split second and there was someone on the line to deal with it anyway. Siegriest's save from Walsh's deflected volley was probably the closest we came in retrospect. 

Overall, and bearing in mind injuries, fatigue, the financial chasm, the size of the crowd and club we were up against etc., that was a great effort in the first half. If we'd got the first goal then something magical might've happened. We didn't, but i'm left with nothing but massive respect for everyone involved in the effort. 

Edited by Caley Stan
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic