Dundee Utd -V- Inverness CT (playoff leg 2)

Scotty

Sorry my friend I have life to get on with  cannot afford to sit and fiddle about on computers all day. Now what was the question you asked again ,seems all so irrelevant?

Oh yes, you were calling me out because I did not agree with you and had a different opinion on whether we overachieved this season. For what it's worth 15 points behind the leaders and choking in the play off semis , Scottish cup and League Cup conceding 12 goals and scoring zero is not over achieving IMO.

Now please go away.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Facepalm 1

Am I wrong in thinking that the main shittt stirring culprits nowadays are shittt stirring, rose coloured spectacled, know it alls - trying to pissss off the more outspoken, albeit understandable members of the forum who have a more negative "view" of proceedings. Perhaps "vultures" of another kind ??

Bet I know who doesn't give me a "greenie" for this post. ?

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, forresjags said:

For what it's worth 15 points behind the leaders and choking in the play off semis , Scottish cup and League Cup conceding 12 goals and scoring zero is not over achieving IMO.

Powerful stuff, but it basically ignores the quality of our opponents. You'd have a point if we were competing against Fort William in these games, obviously not if we were playing Man City.

Why should we have done better against County, Dundee United and Hearts specifically? All three have significantly higher budgets to work with - Robbo has said that County have more than double our budget, Alan Preston said the other night that United had at least treble. Hearts' will be a lot more. 

Why do you ignore that not only did we put two of those clubs out of cup, but also finished above at least three other clubs in our league with higher budgets than us? 

For me, the most impressive aspect of our overall performance this season is that it took place at a time when everyone is on such a massive downer. The whole club's being cut to the bone, players leave at the first sniff of interest and we're delighted just to get them off the wage bill, the home crowds have been reduced to a small group of moany old men and some 15 year-old wannabe casuals. I'm just delighted we stayed up under these circumstances - overachievement is putting it mildly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

Feckin excellent response. Well thought out and delivered. Much better than the antagonistic, juvenile shittt delivered by the rose coloured crew. But to me we frustrated. We had the opportunity to win rather than draw a number of games - not against teams with bigger budgets but against teams, especially at home, that we should have beaten. Hope we have an anorak but I would like to know how we fared against the top half in comparison with the bottom half ?

2 hours ago, forresjags said:

Sorry my friend I have life to get on with  cannot afford to sit and fiddle about on computers all day. Now what was the question you asked again ,seems all so irrelevant?

Oh yes, you were calling me out because I did not agree with you and had a different opinion on whether we overachieved this season. For what it's worth 15 points behind the leaders and choking in the play off semis , Scottish cup and League Cup conceding 12 goals and scoring zero is not over achieving IMO.

Now please go away.

Still never answered my direct questions tho 

Choking in the play off semis is that really what you think

two debatable decisions changed the outcome of both games imo

I don’t wish you to go away but wish you well in the future but cannot agree with your view of the season.

Have a lovely summer

23 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Still never answered my direct questions tho 

Choking in the play off semis is that really what you think

two debatable decisions changed the outcome of both games imo

I don’t wish you to go away but wish you well in the future but cannot agree with your view of the season.

Have a lovely summer

We did "Choke" - We could have won BOTH games - Polworth gave the referee a decision to make and he made it - wrongly in my opinion. We still had enuff chances to win at home. The penalty decision was WRONG but again we CHOKED it becos we could have been 2-0 up before that. 

1 minute ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

We did "Choke" - We could have won BOTH games - Polworth gave the referee a decision to make and he made it - wrongly in my opinion. We still had enuff chances to win at home. The penalty decision was WRONG but again we CHOKED it becos we could have been 2-0 up before that. 

Disagree 

we choked the semi final at the National stadium as we never played well at all as a team 

That did not happen in the playoffs at all imo

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Caley Stan said:

the home crowds have been reduced to a small group of moany old men 

Anybody in particular? Season ticket in the north stand perchance? A liking for a pint of John Smiths and a wee Chivas Regal?

2 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Anybody in particular? Season ticket in the north stand perchance? A liking for a pint of John Smiths and a wee Chivas Regal?

Honestly, I'm talking more about my trip to the main stand for the first half of the Ayr game. I would never refer to the mature gentlemen of the north stand in that way - it's on you that you assumed that's who I was talking about. 

9 minutes ago, Caley Stan said:

Honestly, I'm talking more about my trip to the main stand for the first half of the Ayr game. I would never refer to the mature gentlemen of the north stand in that way - it's on you that you assumed that's who I was talking about. 

Can’t imagine the north being full so you actually CHOSE the main stand? Maybe wearing a Peter Gabriel disguise.B5BD3852-DA90-49A3-8D2B-D997A0952D42.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Disagree 

we choked the semi final at the National stadium as we never played well at all as a team 

That did not happen in the playoffs at all imo

We played WELL for 90 minutes at Tannadice ? - We should have won the game ? We should have been 2 or 3-0 up before the penalty ? Does that not relate to "choking" ?We should have at least drawn at home  ? We had more chances of scoring and getting back into the game at Hampden after going behind ? I thought that we could actually come back at Hampden.

1 hour ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

But to me we frustrated. We had the opportunity to win rather than draw a number of games - not against teams with bigger budgets but against teams, especially at home, that we should have beaten. Hope we have an anorak but I would like to know how we fared against the top half in comparison with the bottom half ?

A fair point, but this league was very tight with just 33 points separating top from bottom so it's difficult to read too much into the following:

We took 22 points from the rest of the top 5 and 25 from the bottom 4. 

We took 18 points from the top 4 budgets and 31 from the bottom 4 budgets. 

We took 4 points from the top 2 in the final standings and 18 from the 2 promoted teams (that one's quite funny because the narrative at the start of the season was all about us being up for County but not for Alloa). 

You can spin it in different ways, but the only reason we're talking about this is because we took 23 points at home and 33 away.

Edited by Caley Stan

And this guy is only 63, bejabbers !    Wait until he gets past 80....OMG! :splat:And his mind starts to go as well. 

Believe it or not I can step down from my house into the garage  with my car keys in my pocket and then I forget what I am in there for..... I then have to phone IHE to see if he can remember  why I am there and I forget his cell phone number. And then...………………….

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, forresjags said:

For what it's worth 15 points behind the leaders and choking in the play off semis , Scottish cup and League Cup conceding 12 goals and scoring zero is not over achieving IMO

Eh? How is nearly collapsing against Edinburgh City right at the start and turning it around to go all the way to the Semis not overachieving? I understand what you mean about the league cup, and I hate to bring it up again, but we were effectively cheated out of it after Hearts were handed a 2 point deduction. Our season went pretty well if I'm honest, fair placing, despite all the draws. This season has been far from achieving the norm...it's definitely been an overachieving season, and let's hope it continues in following ones (minus the several dozen draws at the start...and nearly bottling it to a League Two side...)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Not read the thread and TBH I don't think I can bring myself to. I'm still absolutely gutted about the result. I felt before the game that if we took the lead we'd have a great chance to overturn the deficit but if we lost the first goal we'd struggle to turn it around and so it proved.

We really should have bagged a goal or two before that incredibly harsh penalty decision. Excellent spot kick from Clark but as soon as that went in you could see the players heads drop a bit and I don't really blame them. Poor defending for the United second goal really killed off any lingering hope and the third was just cruel but probably deserved for United. By this point you could see which team had benefited from several days of rest prior to the first leg. 

Most of the ICT players were absolutely burst by this point - Walsh, Trafford and White were all dead on their feet yet kept plugging away (White especially) and put the lamentable effort from folk like Austin to shame. Plenty of effort but not enough clinical finishing / quality over the piece. It's hard to have another contentious decision go against us in a game against United but over the two games we failed to find the net once which speaks volumes. As has been said numerous times this season we can't continue to pass up chances like the ones we missed on Friday.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 4

Jaysus it was all going so well and then someone went off one one.  Did we over achieve under achieve or did we achieve what was really expected?  I'm slightly confused as a North stander as I am neither a moany old man nor a 15 year old wannabe casual as I can't afford Chivas Regal or Stone Island.  But I am a fan of the club and am as p1ssedd of with how it unfolded as anyone.  But rightly or wrongly I do think we had a certain spirit about us in the run in which will hopefully kick on in the new season with a couple of good signings.  Chalmers away - fine.  Coll - maybe.  Fine.  Money talks, we need to deal with it and Robbo is doing so with the financial constraints we have until we can work out WTAF can be done to engage with the wider community and get gates back up - a different thread, I know.  Tired, jaded, long season - that's just me.  Back for more next year - already bought my season ticket (different thread I know) and working n being an old moany git instead of just a moany git.  #ICTTID

• Agree 3

Watching the DUFC V ST Mirren final and st mirren player kicks DUFC player in the face with his foot over his head and only gets a yellow DUFC player had cut face. Yet polworth got a straight red for a waist high toe poke? Referring inconsistency in scotland is a joke.

2 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

Watching the DUFC V ST Mirren final and st mirren player kicks DUFC player in the face with his foot over his head and only gets a yellow DUFC player had cut face. Yet polworth got a straight red for a waist high toe poke? Referring inconsistency in scotland is a joke.

Come on Moray Jaggie you can't be surprised at that!

As always different folks see things in a variety of ways.

I feel we were really close to getting past the Arabs . A couple of dubious (that's being kind) refereeing decisions certainly didn't help but the bottom line is we failed to score a goal over 180 + minutes. A lack of creativity and sharpness up front is clear for all to see.  We were on top for a lot of the time (especially at Tannadice) but didn't make it count when it mattered. Here's hoping we can solve this issue next season.

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic