Dundee Utd -V- Inverness CT (playoff leg 2)

Scotty

I will be very interested to see how the refereeing decisions pan out in the play off final because I am in no doubt the PTB want Utd back in the premiership. more money, sorry, I'm being a conspiracy theorist again but that penalty against us tonight proves it in my mind, absolute joke. I played competitive football for 17yrs and I've never seen the like. Robbo has every right to be fuming.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good on you robbo   someone had to berate the officials    have to feel for him and players   terrible decisions in both games  the boys must have been gutted at half time   lets get behind them next season  and win the league    come on Inverness people  let's support your team 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

Scottish officials are rank. Clancy misses a clear red card in the old firm game, and instead of any kind of sanction, he gets sent to our game. It’s the same garbage, regardless of the officials. I don’t think there’s a conspiracy, I just don’t think they’re very good. 

Agreed.  I certainly don't think there is any conspiracy nor is Robbo suggesting that.  But there is a real lack of consistency.  I appreciate that referees have a very difficult job and need to be given a bit of slack from time to time, but I would have to agree that the standard of refereeing we have had this season is the worst I can remember.  

• Agree 1

Very decent first half for us, but the game turned on one incident and it ceased to be much of a contest, the stuffing had been knocked out of us and we had little left to offer. Fair play to Utd who played very well in the 2nd and went for the jugular rather than just keeping it tight.

Best moment of the night for me was getting home to a very, very large whisky waiting for me. It’s been a long season but I couldn’t have realistically hoped for much more with the resources we have. Cheers! 

• Like 3

Well I sat in a motorway queue for four feckin hours, made me hit the Forth Road Bridge at rush hour and got to Dungdee 45 minutes before the kick off. Feckin stone cold sober !! Up until that ridiculous penalty decision we were the better team, playing some nice football and looking the team to score by a country mile. But our lack of power and flair up front and the age old inability to take chances let us down again. We really should have been 2 or 3 up and there were scoreable chances for Walsh, White and Doran. The penalty, it's conversion and the timing appeared to simply break our hearts. But we put so much into that first half that it would have been a miracle if we had maintained that level after the second. Only a sniff of a comeback would have possibly riled us up. But the Arabs went for the throat from the start of the second half, pressed higher up the pitch and the second was the beginning of the end. It could well have been 5 or 6 in the end and we never looked like scoring. You would have to say that everybody gave their all but I thiught that some showed their flaws. There weren't many who didn't look absolutely flecked 10-15 minutes before the end. Again that is the cruelty of our play off system.

i will leave the Smileymometer alone but Ridgers did nothing wrong, Rooney ran and ran and did well before being flecked. McCart was superb and my MOM. Should Coll have been playing when clearly 50 to 60% fit - I would say not. McHattie was caught out for the second goal and struggled defensively. Our midfield ran their socks off but we went for the long, high ball [often diagonal] too often and did not utilise the width and especially Walsh snuffed. Doran played like he did against Hearts and did not come up with the goods. White had littl support but did not hold things up enuff and lost too much in the air. Not sure either where Brad McKay was playing but it did look like he was employed to provide cover for the ailing Coll which was a waste of a player. May sound critical but we played well until half time and missing chances killed us again. Some of the officials decisions, other than the penalty, were shocking and there were some ridiculous offsides called. BUT what an away support and not a bad home one either. Glad I was there to the seasons death. Bring on the anguish of 2019-20. Caleytillidie

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Wasn't our night for a variety of reasons. I think the team can hold their heads high for their efforts. Utd had a bit more in depth but it was made easier for them due to poor officials. There keeper man of the match. Hard for robbo to take decisions like the penalty tonight and not react. He would need to be a robot not to.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Agreed.  I certainly don't think there is any conspiracy nor is Robbo suggesting that.  But there is a real lack of consistency.  I appreciate that referees have a very difficult job and need to be given a bit of slack from time to time, but I would have to agree that the standard of refereeing we have had this season is the worst I can remember.  

Doofer, you may be right, when wullie Collum is one of our "best referees" you know something is wildly wrong. This guy started refereeing as a 16 yo which means he has never kicked a ball in anger in his life, what qualifies him as a grade 1 referee?

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

Robbo will be in trouble for his radio interview.  Called the 4th official a liar and said he was no longer going to stand for the the attitude and incompetence of officials.  Earlier on the commentators were saying he was a class act by the way that despite the disappointment, he took the time to congratulate all the Utd players and applauded their supporters.  Well done Robbo!  Needs to be said.

Refs are over protected their needs to be some form of transparent assessment of match officials in their performance. It doesn't help that no one gets to criticise them when they have so much influence over such important games. Robbo is bang on calling them out.

• Agree 3

Well done everyone............you tried your best. Man of the match was the very impressive Utd keeper. With the rub of the green it could have been different but after that game I doubt we could have mustered an 11 for the next game. Have a rest boys.......you deserve it. Robbo........well you are in trouble but I think you spoke well. Great support for both sides ( over 8500) and a special mention to those who go to extraordinary lengths and travel huge distances to support their team.....you know who you are.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I agree with a lot of the sentiments on here. We gave it our all, but diabolical refereeing decisions coupled with poor finishing will not win us games. On the whole, in my opinion, it's been a good season, it could have been a better one, but if you had told me at the beginning of the season that we would make the semi finals of the playoffs and the Scottish Cup, I would have scoffed at you. To finish third, behind the leagues two best funded teams,  says a lot for Robbo's recruitment and drive, and if we can keep the majority of the squad together for next season and add a few quality new faces, I think we can do some damage next term. It looks like Robbo will be missing for the start of next season after his comments about the standard of refereeing in this country, but I wholeheartedly agree with him. No collective of officials should be immune to criticism, they have been over protected for far too long. If players or managers step out of line they get hammered by the Association, where as referees can make blunder after blunder and they just get another game to officiate at. Kevin Clancy being a good example,  he doesn't send off the sevco player for elbowing Scott Brown during the sevco v Celtic game, but gives a penalty and booking against Brad Mckay in our match, absolutely atrocious.  So, that's the season done and dusted, my new season ticket bought, and I'm looking forward to next term already, a glutton for punishment or diehard supporter?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, CableGuy said:

We're ******... Part time football beckons... Goodbye all u happy clappy fucky wankers I've had it..... The clubs ****** and u all are too.... Bye bye 

Bye and good riddance to you too ya numpty

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Fair play to you lot tonight.

All though I think we were comfortably better over two legs you give it a good go like you did all 7 times we played this season. 

Would laugh at Robbo’s interview but he hit the nail on the head with a lot of what he said.

Good luck next season, but hopefully we won’t be playing you so often.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Jack Mackay said:

All though I think we were comfortably better over two legs

In the end, yes, but both matches were very even at 0-0 until controversial and game-changing refereeing decisions. Who knows how it might otherwise have panned out.

• Agree 1

These players have sweated blood this season. You could see some of them weren’t fit last night, Walsh for one, and Coll and Doran probably. Everybody knows the squad was down to the bare bones. But if anything they were the better side in the first half and could have been a couple of goals up with better finishing. They deserved to take a bow for their efforts. And yet at the 3rd goal we have people streaming out of the ground?‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

A disappointing end to the season, I thought we were the better side in the first half and that penalty decision all but killed the game, Utd in the second half bossed the game and the early second goal killed the tie.

I am proud of the boys they put in a shift tonight but in the end were no quite good enough.

Officiating aside, our depth of squad has ultimately done us in over the season. Too many games for key players - rushing some back from injury too quick, it just all added up.

Losing Welsh probably the biggest as he had come on to a great game before his injury, and our midfield never looked as strong without him.

The recent run of games has been incredible due to the patched up squad of guys we have relied on, time and time again - losing Carl a few weeks ago again hurt us and finally losing Liam not only cost us Tuesday but had a knock on effect last night.

Monumental effort first half then the ref did his thing ...

Tough one for next year, but the rebuild must continue - now we know 3rd or 4th is no use lets go for the title. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Satan said:

Losing Welsh probably the biggest as he had come on to a great game before his injury, and our midfield never looked as strong without him.

Tremarco too - left back was definitely a weak spot over the two legs against Utd. 

• Agree 1

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic