Post-Season Summary/Rant(?)

Cue post-season rant...I guess?

Just trying to sound as least bitter as physically possible. This season. By god has it had it's ups and downs. We've gotten to the Semis of both the Scottish Cup and Play-offs. 
However, this by far has also been the worst in terms of awful officiating. Can't tell you how many times teams from all divisions in the SPFL have been screwed over majorly by horrifically corrupt refereeing, yet the spfl and UEFA stand back and let it happen. It has cost teams up and down the country titles, cup wins and even survival in leagues. 
This entire thing just shows why "Penalty to Rangers" has become a joke, cos it perfectly describes how oblivious to the fact referees are to how the games played. They see "fouls" against one team, yet miss blatant ones against the other.

All in all a good season completely ruined by officials who don't seem to have a blues clues as to how to officiate a football match...

I'm going to post something here which proves that I do listen to the mods lol (I spoke to Scotty a couple of months ago and promised to change. He will confirm this hopefully ?

Anyway, I think we had a good season, draws were our undoing and silly late goals such as Queens game where we were 1 up with 5mins left yet lost 1-2 and Falkirk 3-2 defeat a month ago. 

For next season, I'd like to see Robbo retain our best players (if possible) and play the youngsters such as McGregor, Harper, Machado and Danny Mackay whilst also scouring the market for bargains like he has done before. 

I trust Robbo in the market and tbh, he's already signing players which is a bonus.  My only fear is, he may be off if Hearts sack Level or Holt leaves for Kilmarnock if Clarke does indeed take on Scotland job.  Please Robbo, stay another season and get us back to Premier league. 

Edited by CaleyTennis
Trying to delete the emoji, it should be a wink not a kiss
  • Agree 1

Pretty below par season TBH thought I would have seen some of the young players making the breakthrough but nothing .Surely the way forward for us was to have one or two established in the squad and given game time but Robertson just blindly persisted with the same old subs every game. Biggest standout for me Jamie McCart , looks an exceptional prospect.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

A season with only a few highs the cup run that is ! The football on display was at times hard to watch big improvements needed nxt year ! Walsh and Doran had good spells Polly be a big miss hopefully some of the young guns make the breakthrough rather see them than  these unknown players we seem to sign like seeing local boys coming thro

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

I'm going to post something here which proves that I do listen to the mods lol (I spoke to Scotty a couple of months ago and promised to change. He will confirm this hopefully ?

Anyway, I think we had a good season, draws were our undoing and silly late goals such as Queens game where we were 1 up with 5mins left yet lost 1-2 and Falkirk 3-2 defeat a month ago. 

For next season, I'd like to see Robbo retain our best players (if possible) and play the youngsters such as McGregor, Harper, Machado and Danny Mackay whilst also scouring the market for bargains like he has done before. 

I trust Robbo in the market and tbh, he's already signing players which is a bonus.  My only fear is, he may be off if Hearts sack Level or Holt leaves for Kilmarnock if Clarke does indeed take on Scotland job.  Please Robbo, stay another season and get us back to Premier league. 

No chance hearts or killie will be looking at Robbo he wouldn't be considered for either of that jobs nxt seasons huge for Robbo no promotion again his job be on the line for sure!

• Disagree 1

51 minutes ago, forresjags said:

thought I would have seen some of the young players making the breakthrough but nothing .

Fair point. Whilst a few youngsters have regularly made it to the bench, with such a small squad and various injuries, it’s disappointing that none of them are deemed good enough (yet) to have broken through to be seriously in contention for first team places.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Fair point. Whilst a few youngsters have regularly made it to the bench, with such a small squad and various injuries, it’s disappointing that none of them are deemed good enough (yet) to have broken through to be seriously in contention for first team places.

There is a step between the u18's and first team which currently we don't have any team playing competitively in...so most of the time they are just making the bench look busier.

As for the season - we've finished higher than last year, but been worse statistically - the draws have done for us, and also with that many draws, or close games - often the results can be decided by a dodgy official.

The trick for next year is to make sure the odd poor decision doesn't matter - just win the damn games by plenty of goals.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Satan said:

There is a step between the u18's and first team which currently we don't have any team playing competitively in...so most of the time they are just making the bench look busier.

As for the season - we've finished higher than last year, but been worse statistically - the draws have done for us, and also with that many draws, or close games - often the results can be decided by a dodgy official.

The trick for next year is to make sure the odd poor decision doesn't matter - just win the damn games by plenty of goals.

Wev not had a good striker since Storey tho tbf I do like White he's a grafter he can't play up top on his own! The youngsters can't be as good as we all think or they'd be in look at the kinda players wer buying from the pub leagues in England I'd far rather quality over quantity this season likes of Telfer or Fyfie instead of 3 unknowns and punt in a few youngsters nothing to loose we were miles of winning anything this season with this squad and if wer gonna be also rans again nxt season I'd rather do it with a direction and youngsters who I can relate to and might come good rather than unknown journeymen!

19 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

... I'd far rather quality over quantity this season

Understood, but if you are going to play over 50 competitive matches in a season then you certainly need quantity.  

Especially since the second half of the season can become crowded with re-arranged postponed fixtures and with cup games - and by then you may already have some longer-term injuries.

13 hours ago, old caley girl said:

I think its been a decent season given our small squad. 3rd and the semi final of a national cup. 

Still kinda feel that it is a case of what could have been though. Too many draws earlier in season the reason. 

I agree. We have a real chance of promotion next season but we need to be quicker out of the blocks and convert far more of the chances we get and that includes any penalties we are awarded.

For those criticising how we did this season, given that we have the sixth biggest budget in the division, does finishing third and being the only Championship side to progress as far as we did in a major knock out tournament not represent a fair measure of success ?

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 2

We've overperformed this season. Robbo has squeezed every sinew out of a small and limited squad. Think Joe Chalmers playing on the right when Walsh got injured, Charlie Trafford changing his game and stepping up in the absence of Sean Welsh, and Jordan White's development into an effective battering ram once Oakley's departure made it clear that he was our only option up front. Most of us had written these players off, but they were all Robbo had to work with and he turned them into promotion contenders and cup semi-finalists. Some effort. 

On the flipside, it looks like we'll continue to suffer from unrealistic expectations. If United go up then then next season's league might look weak at first glance, but at least 3 clubs will have a significantly higher budget than us. We'll lose players now - Polworth gone and rumours around Donaldson, Chalmers, White and Doran. Robbo's building for another push, but most likely it will be another scrappy play-off push at best. A bit of patience from our support might help with that. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Caley Stan said:

The poor home fans might want to try getting behind the team.

They might try coming along to the stadium in the first place. That said, we definitely need to improve our home form next season if we are going to stand a realistic chance of promotion.

• Agree 2

Easy to talk about getting behind the team,  We try, but when it's mostly drivel we get to watch getting excited about it is very difficult.   It may be a tactical thing and as has been said before limited player poll ( especially up front) limits Robbo's choices. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

We've been in many ways our own worst enemy this season not seeing games out when we've been ahead and not taking our chances in front of goal when we're in the ascendancy. Yesterday was a prime example of this. Our small squad has no doubt had a big impact over the season too. 

Officiating has cost us in individual circumstances and we seem to rarely get the 50/50 decisions. Don't subscribe to conspiracies I just think they're woeful, though sometimes you do wonder. 

Due to family and finances I rarely get to away games anymore and our home performances have hardly been stellar which doesn't help to bring in more fans. It's a bit of a vicious circle, less fans, less support leading to possibly worse results, leading to less (casual attending) fans etc.

Anyway we need to brush ourselves off look to strengthen where we can. Season tickets bought for me and the girls, and let's get automatic promotion next year!

• Like 1

Cant see how we have over performed this season, other than a penalty shootout win over County and a late winner at Tannadice things have been pretty average. TBH the home form has been pretty underwhelming and unfortunately cost us in our quest as title challengers.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Indeed, and the teams that ended our participation in the 3 major tournaments were Hearts, Hearts and Dundee Utd, whose wage budgets are several times ours.

You are right Yngwie and Hearts got help with the first one!

20 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

:groovy:

shaun.gif

7 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

We've overperformed this season. Robbo has squeezed every sinew out of a small and limited squad. Think Joe Chalmers playing on the right when Walsh got injured, Charlie Trafford changing his game and stepping up in the absence of Sean Welsh, and Jordan White's development into an effective battering ram once Oakley's departure made it clear that he was our only option up front. Most of us had written these players off, but they were all Robbo had to work with and he turned them into promotion contenders and cup semi-finalists. Some effort. 

On the flipside, it looks like we'll continue to suffer from unrealistic expectations. If United go up then then next season's league might look weak at first glance, but at least 3 clubs will have a significantly higher budget than us. We'll lose players now - Polworth gone and rumours around Donaldson, Chalmers, White and Doran. Robbo's building for another push, but most likely it will be another scrappy play-off push at best. A bit of patience from our support might help with that. 

Yes some of our fanqs need to get real they think this has been an ok season 

Jeez what will it be like when reality sinks in like Falkirk fans

Some people really need a reality check

Edited by Gregor

2 hours ago, forresjags said:

Cant see how we have over performed this season, other than a penalty shootout win over County and a late winner at Tannadice things have been pretty average. TBH the home form has been pretty underwhelming and unfortunately cost us in our quest as title challengers.

WOW 

maybe travel away and see what we have done on the road.

I'm now used to watching ice hockey players at the top level of the game and watching how they perform as  associated with how fit they are.

The top, highly motivated, players  are in the gym  daily and work out with their individual coaches on engaging in very strenuous  routines which embrace top physical equipment that does cost thousands of dollars.  No doubt Caley Thistle  can't afford this type of equipment but how strenuous are the work-outs that the individual players do  since they are also full professionals with, presumably, no other outside jobs so should they not be in top condition?

On the ice, the pace can be torrid and the positioning of each player carries expectations and skilful instructions and demands from the trainers and their assistants. There is huge money involved , of course, and it's at that point that comparing the two types of game slows to an agonising crawl.However, IMHO,  top fitness for our team, perhaps beyond their normal expectations, can pay high dividends by the end of the season. And unless we can entice the crowds back to more than a mere few then where do we really go from here? The coffers won't be filled and the wages will remain low and the players will wonder about their futures.

And what about the dodgy officiating and decisions that seem to enrage the average , but fair , punter? Unless some form of instant review (i.e. by TV or by access to a large computer) is introduced then it may take a long time for the beaks at the top of Scottish Football to stop yawning and really get a grip of this very poor situation. Whether these beaks are biased or corrupt is not the point. The point is … when are they going to change the system?

So, compare ice hockey :-  There are cameras everywhere following every move of the action (even including close-ups of these moves ) and if the senior referee is  undecided, even after consulting the other two refs (total of 3 refs on the ice), then he can phone the Head Office of the National Hockey League in Toronto thousands of miles away and request an immediate review on the screens of the bosses. Within a minute or two the decision is handed down from Toronto to the senior referee on the ice and that's that. Often the decision is not what the refs may state or want but it's "Over and out'." Generally it's a very fair route to go. A few within the home crowd may mumble but accept it because it is as good an outcome as can presently be devised because, also, the film can be played back by Toronto in slow motion! And the risk of inflaming the tempers of the average over 20,000 fans in the rink is far too high to not have top experienced officials sitting in the judges' seats.

Here , in Scotland, no matter how bad the refereeing,  who does a review instantly at a senior level ? No one!!!  Is  this not unfair and pathetic in a time period where the computerisation of sport is now well-advanced? Anyone  agree with me? Crucial decisions HAVE to be made on all this as I see it.

• Agree 1