Post-Season Summary/Rant(?)

Probably  the worsed season apart from  our relegation as far as football is concernd no leader on the park it appeared to be a team of strangers. We did have good spells but far and few between. 

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 2

On 5/18/2019 at 12:59 PM, caley100 said:

Worrying trend this season has been abysmal home form, 2nd worse in league.   Poor home fans not getting value for money. 

On the flip side home fans dont offer same support as away fans.

• Agree 1

Obviously the away fans go to the home games as well, but it's just that they will be spread out in different parts of the ground, instead of all being together in one group, shouting and singing  like they do at away matches. Because of this, you may be sitting at home matches next to a group of supporters who are not very vocal, and your lone voice gets lost. I shout a lot at games, but most of the folk around me seldom do. I have noticed at some grounds that some of the stands are closed,  so that the main stand is full and creates a better atmosphere.  I'm sure this wouldn't be popular with the north stand supporters, and I'm not suggesting that we do, but unless we get like minded folk sitting together I feel the atmosphere will not change. We have a very reserved home support, unless the young lads are in with their drum, but they only seem to turn up at derbies, and what they deem as important matches, instead of creating a good atmosphere at every home game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

I don't see that changing any time soon. The team are just going to train in a library to get used to the atmosphere.

Time for you and Gregor to step up and lead the ICTFC red and blue brigade, show us all how real fanatics do it both home and away.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Obviously the away fans go to the home games as well, but it's just that they will be spread out in different parts of the ground, instead of all being together in one group, shouting and singing  like they do at away matches. Because of this, you may be sitting at home matches next to a group of supporters who are not very vocal, and your lone voice gets lost. I shout a lot at games, but most of the folk around me seldom do. I have noticed at some grounds that some of the stands are closed,  so that the main stand is full and creates a better atmosphere.  I'm sure this wouldn't be popular with the north stand supporters, and I'm not suggesting that we do, but unless we get like minded folk sitting together I feel the atmosphere will not change. We have a very reserved home support, unless the young lads are in with their drum, but they only seem to turn up at derbies, and what they deem as important matches, instead of creating a good atmosphere at every home game.

Perhaps I am really an olde git but to me the "terrace" should always be the Home End. Tell me if I am wrong but our Away support is often NOT the group that attend our home games. Many are Central Belters or from Englandshire. But why don't the "singing" home supporters NOT get North Stand season tickets - make a Singing Section down the middle and "make some noise fer the Caley Thistle Boys" ??

• Agree 3

I couldn't agree more IHE. We are probably contemporaries,  although from different sides of the rivalry,  from our old Highland League days, and there was more passion and atmosphere at the games then, than at most of our home games now. Our singing section remains uncovered and empty, and the only time I have seen anybody sitting there was at our European tie.

• Like 1

Of course we are contemporaries - and you are a  feckin Jeggie :dancing: -  and never experienced the joys of the Howden End. How old are you ? - I am 62 and I can still bounce with the feckin best - The so called "Young Team" are misunderstood as well. In a Singing Section at home they would be in with the "old boys" - away from home we can ALL have a go from a distance. If you want bother then you know where and where not to get it after a game.

I'm 62 as well, and have been a Jaggie all my life. Home and away when work would allow. I'm glad you can still bounce with the best, I haven't been so lucky, I have too many health issues which slow me down now. I'm still vocal at games and can argue with the best, but the looks that I get from a lot of folk makes me think that they enjoy sitting in silence, almost passionlesss. I don't know what the answer is, unless,  as you say, get all the like minded folk to change there seats and sit together,  which I fear will not happen. 

• Like 1

Is Alan Simpson actually an ICT fan or just an unhappy person who sees his glass always nearly empty.  Such a negative poster - needs a wee smile sometime surely or..........

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, lizi said:

Is Alan Simpson actually an ICT fan or just an unhappy person who sees his glass always nearly empty.  Such a negative poster - needs a wee smile sometime surely or..........

We will need to raise funds and buy him a bottle :lol:

When he joined, I asked Alan Simpson did he actually believe what he was posting or was he just being controversial to collect the red dots. He just laughed it off. There does seem to be a theme that he is out of sync with the majority of posters, but it takes all sorts, and we are all entitled to our own opinion.

• Like 1

Correct Jaggernaut.        BUT...……..

Alan..why don't you exaggerate the positive and avoid the negative completely. It's how to win friends and influence people . Yessssssssss!

I promise that your feelings about ICT will change for the better and you will  garner soooooo  many "likes" that your life will change. :banana: And you will become the top banana on here.

• Agree 1

I wonder if somewhere in the middle of those that feel we overachieved, those that think it was a successful season and those that think it was down right rotten, there's some middle ground to be found and a different way of looking at things.

Yes the quality of football may have been lacking, yes we struggled to score goals at times, yes when we finally fell to cup defeats it was bruising, yes we had a ridiculous amount of draws and yes we didn't get promoted but we did finish third behind two substantially better backed clubs, we did get to the Scottish Cup semi-finals, we finished top of the rest and from start of season to finish we have improved gradually as individuals and a team.

For those who feel we underachieved; if playing crap football and being toothless at times gets us 3rd in the league, playoffs and cup semi-final then imagine what a better style of play and being more prolific in frot of goal would do. This alone gives reason to be optimistic and to believe that we can better things next season.

I would be feeling far more downbeat had we been playing good football, playing teams off the park and finished lower down in the league. 

We finished the season with the second least amount of defeats in the league along with joint 3rd best defence and while rightly some will point out the draws were horrendous, at least they weren't defeats. We can, and I believe we will, build on this for next season. 

Edited by MrCaleyjag
Spelling errors

Now here comes my rant for the season ...............

Officiating: quite honestly it's been horrendous and some of the worst I have ever seen across a season and that is not just confined to matches we've been involved in or our league, it's right across the board. The level of arrogance that our referees show towards players and staff is appalling and while they have a very difficult job to do, someone should remind them that they get paid for it and it's their job to keep order. Referees in other sports across the world can do it so why can't they.

One of my biggest gripes is the speed at which a referee, and they are all guilty, can't wait to get a card out. At times struggling to get a card out of their pocket while they run to an incident! Take some time, sort the situation out, pull players away, discuss the incident then produce a card if necessary. It projects a better form of control and sets the tone for the game but we don't appear to have one official that can do that nor the authorities to make it change.

It's no coincidence that this season has saw more managers than ever speaking out about the levels of refereeing in this country but still they are the ones that are punished, it's about time that the beaks in charge started to deal with the situation properly instead of making managers and players the scapegoats. 

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

When he joined, I asked Alan Simpson did he actually believe what he was posting or was he just being controversial to collect the red dots. He just laughed it off. There does seem to be a theme that he is out of sync with the majority of posters, but it takes all sorts, and we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Even bad publicitys good for me my man! Tbh tho it doesn't take much to be different from the majority on here pretty much happy clappers who just go along with whatever gash some of the more popular posters write! Iv been watching Caley since school Iv more than earned my spurs to give a bit of a wind up 

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, MrCaleyjag said:

Now here comes my rant for the season ...............

Officiating: quite honestly it's been horrendous and some of the worst I have ever seen across a season and that is not just confined to matches we've been involved in or our league, it's right across the board. The level of arrogance that our referees show towards players and staff is appalling and while they have a very difficult job to do, someone should remind them that they get paid for it and it's their job to keep order. Referees in other sports across the world can do it so why can't they.

One of my biggest gripes is the speed at which a referee, and they are all guilty, can't wait to get a card out. At times struggling to get a card out of their pocket while they run to an incident! Take some time, sort the situation out, pull players away, discuss the incident then produce a card if necessary. It projects a better form of control and sets the tone for the game but we don't appear to have one official that can do that nor the authorities to make it change.

It's no coincidence that this season has saw more managers than ever speaking out about the levels of refereeing in this country but still they are the ones that are punished, it's about time that the beaks in charge started to deal with the situation properly instead of making managers and players the scapegoats. 

Glad to see it's not just me who thinks that referees (and all the officials) act in a much more arrogant manner than previously. Sights of referees/fourth officials wagging their fingers at players/managers as if they were naughty schoolboys, is just embarrassing and you rarely see foreign officials do this. Refereeing standards do seem t be declining globally but the refereeing in Scotland this season has been really really poor and affected most teams (with the possible exception of Rangers). Surely someone sees the glaring mistakes made by the referees and takes them aside to discuss, if they do it doesn't work as they seem to continue making the same mistakes (Andrew Dallas and poor penalty decisions anyone). Part of the problem is that I am convinced referees now seem to be guessing at decisions, possibly as they feel they have to make a decision but so often, they get it wrong and suffer the consequences for it when making a decision only when 100% sure would save them untold grief.

20 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Correct Jaggernaut.        BUT...……..

Alan..why don't you exaggerate the positive and avoid the negative completely. It's how to win friends and influence people . Yessssssssss!

I promise that your feelings about ICT will change for the better and you will  garner soooooo  many "likes" that your life will change. :banana: And you will become the top banana on here.

Haha sound advice there my man tho I might be gathering a cult following 153 likes like big White I'm an improving player who splits opinions!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Aye !  IHE.

And he IS a breath of fresh air which, for me at least, does tend to soften the blow of another season without a really successful outcome Also he can certainly can take it on the chin without flinching and doesn't over-react. :tongue:

Decent thread!  I wish we could recreate the old Howden End atmosphere. Sometimes feel like Juggernaut where I am perhaps berating an official or opposition player and have an uneasy feeling I’m being stared at like a lunatic or being sized up to be sectioned....but I’ll carry on ???

• Agree 1

Pity the new Managers topic is closed!!!! Maybe we could have copied the Tinks  OTB and gone for Co.  Managers .                     Derek "Seethe" Adams and  Jim Mcintyre are both available I believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?