Joe Chalmers

WYNESS101

Disappointing but no surprise to anyone. With Polworth gone as well the .midfield will have a very different look to it next season.

However, we have lost far better players and still prospered. An opportunity to rebuild and refresh.

• Agree 5

Confirmation of what we knew/suspected.  Joe's been good for us at championship level but I'm not sure he'll add much to County in the Premiership.  Can see him getting paid lots more for sitting on a bench than he did for playing football this season.  Invest the money wisely, Joe!

• Agree 2

I see our supporters on social media are losing their heads over this and suddenly decrying him as a garbage player and a snake.

Chalmers certainly isn't rubbish but he also isn't the best player going. Nice set piece delivery (corners over free kicks), some nice short range passing and, erm, that's about it. He's okay but that's as far as it goes. Certainly not worth getting into a "bidding" war with County over him and offering the guy silly money. I trust Robbo to replace him.

Vincent has been released by Dundee...

• Agree 2

I hate all the vilification of players when they move on and especially when they move to our main rivals.  These guys are simply making a living best they can in a career with a very short lifespan.  Moving to a bigger wage may not always be the best career move in the longer term and staying a bit longer at a club you have developed well at, may result in a far better offer the following year.  However, players like Chalmers are not earning much with ICT and it is completely reasonable for them to move on.  And to do so with our thanks and good wishes.

• Agree 4

Agreed DD.  It's like the old "was a sh1te ride anyway" back in the day.  He did a shift for us but ICT will outlive all temporary players hopefully.  Personally I think Joe came on vastly as a player with his time at ICT and made the move from left back to centre mid then blossomed.  His confidence was rock bottom - from Motherwell I think? - when he came but what a change.

Yes a very different midfield next year but might give other players the room to make a role their own.  I'm looking forward to next season, I must confess, with perhaps more enthusiasm than had we made the SPL.  I think we could do some real damage next season and go up with a consolidated squad and hopefully on a more sound financial footing off the park.  Maybe passing RCFC and Hamilton on the way...  ?

I certainly won't vilify him, but he was lightweight with the occasional great cross and a superb goal in the cup.

We have replaced better players than Joe before and will continue to do so.

Good luck in your career, but I am more concerned about Coll Donaldson.

• Like 1

Not a bad player but one that we can lose from the team without having to worry about too much about how we’ll cope without him. Neat and tidy most of the time, but a player who’s first thought is to go backwards or sideways. When we’re in positive positions I felt that he slowed the game down a lot of the time. So I think he can be replaced comfortably. That said, him and polworth have both left now and they were our set piece takers so perhaps that’s something to think about.

I don’t wish him any ill will and just hope that if he does return to play against us that he doesn’t forget who gave him a chance to restart his career and in a new position. Something McKay and Draper have seemed to forget for some reason. No problem with them celebrating goals and wins for their new club but absolutely no reason for them to be thumping the badge on the shirt towards our fans either. I don’t think either of them left our club with any problems from the fans. Hopefully Chalmers doesn’t follow their example.

• Agree 2

Worst kept secret going but not surprised, if County want to take him to warm their bench then fair enough and good luck to him. Given the opportunity of a new job with more money without the need to move your family and home we'd all take it.

The meltdown on social media however is comical, probably from the hundreds who have forgotten where our stadium is.

Always tried to put in a shift and has improved in the later half of the season and while at first when I heard the rumors a few weeks ago I was a bit down beat, now I see it as an opportunity for some one else to come in and impress. 

Another average player leaves ICT. We have lost far better players than him and survived. I wish him well, but can't see him making much of an impression at county, in my opinion they have far better players to fill their midfield than Joe. He has undoubtedly increased his wages, and if he is satisfied to sit on the bench and not play, then it's the right move for him. I heard a few weeks ago that he bought a house in Inverness,  and was also told his other half works for Robbo's wife, so it didn't take rocket science to work out he was either staying with us or going to county, and money talks.

• Agree 1

I know that I referred to him as "The sweet left foot" and I think that he did have BUT he went missing for some games and parts of others. I still feel that he is more suited to be an attacking left sided midfielder. As a holding midfielder he was average and I feel that Trafford surpassed him in that role as the season progressed. I am actually surprised that Tinkerville have chosen him. I would classify him as a good Championship player but I doubt his ability to shine in the Premiership. If he was going anywhere else than over the bridge then I would wish him luck. I hope his luxury residential caravan home leaks.

• Agree 1

I remember everybody laughing at us when we signed him. The first time I saw him was in that awful game at Forthbank when we won 2-0 on penalties - he came on as a first half sub for Mulraney and played up the left wing. I was inclined to agree with the laughers. Also in the team were Calder, Seedorf and Baird, and on the bench were Elsdon and Susan. So we have made progress under Robbo in 2 years.

As others have said he was decent going forward and not so good in a holding role. In the first season he was as crab-like and risk-averse as any midfielder I’ve seen although  this season he’s been very solid and much more confident. A quick look at Wiki suggests he’s played in all 40 league and playoff games this season, and only missed a couple last year. Of his 142 senior games, 96 were for us, and all 6 of his goals. Coincidentally he made his Celtic and Motherwell debuts against us.

He’s definitely developed in his 2 years here but he’s no worldbeater. I wish him well as he tries to further his career but he’s leaving behind a very secure position at ICT and I fear he will be another victim of the Caley Curse.

34 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

A half decent player surprised County want him tho any chance they can take Trafford and big White as well?? I would go for Martin Wood if we can afford him big upgrade

Alan you have lost it mate but it’s funny ? 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

48 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

A half decent player surprised County want him tho any chance they can take Trafford and big White as well?? I would go for Martin Wood if we can afford him big upgrade

And that's me now fully convinced this is a troll account. 

Martin Woods. FFS.