Steve Clarke named new Scotland Boss - poisoned chalice or good move?

MrCaleyjag

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48303984

I see the rumors were true and the SFA have announced Steve Clarke as the new Scotland manager on a three year deal.

Personally I'm not sure it's a good move for him given his rising stock, he's always been a revered coach and worked/learned from some of the best, the job he did at Kilmarnock was incredible but I wonder if this will prove to be a poisoned chalice.

I hate to see a good manager ruined by an international job and I hope I'm proved wrong, maybe he can ignite a passion into the Tartan Army again and make the nation believe. Here's hoping.

Whatever happens, if he's successful it'll only mask the very true issues that surround and entrench Scottish Football and the way it is governed.

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

"Clarke, given a two-match ban by the Scottish FA on Thursday for criticising referee Steven McLean, starts with a home European qualifier against Cyprus on 8 June, with a visit to Group I leaders Belgium three days later."

Does that mean he'll have to sit in the stand?  ?

I assume the answer is "no" because the games will not be held under the SFA's jurisdiction.  But there is a lovely irony of him being appointed to the top job just a few days before being found guilty at a disciplinary hearing.  I expect this irony will be lost on the SFA but it really should be an opportunity for them to finally acknowledge that there is a very serious problem with the standard of refereeing in Scotland.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:04 PM, DoofersDad said:

I assume the answer is "no" because the games will not be held under the SFA's jurisdiction.  But there is a lovely irony of him being appointed to the top job just a few days before being found guilty at a disciplinary hearing.  I expect this irony will be lost on the SFA but it really should be an opportunity for them to finally acknowledge that there is a very serious problem with the standard of refereeing in Scotland.

To be fair to the referees, the standard of football is an even more serious problem.

• Agree 1