Dundee approach for Robertson rejected

ictchris

The Sun and Daily Record are reporting that Dundee asked for our permission to speak to Robertson regarding their managerial vacancy but we turned them down.

If they were to come back with a big offer I wonder if we'd think of it.  I wonder if he'd welcome a different challenge.  If he were to go, who could possibly replace him?

13 minutes ago, ictchris said:

The Sun and Daily Record are reporting that Dundee asked for our permission to speak to Robertson regarding their managerial vacancy but we turned them down.

If they were to come back with a big offer I wonder if we'd think of it.  I wonder if he'd welcome a different challenge.  If he were to go, who could possibly replace him?

...Alan Simpson? ;)

• Funny 3

If Robbo has no interest in this job he should come out and say so, this would quash any rumours and stop them from growing arms and legs. We don't want the same situation that arose when Dundee United came calling for Hughes and he was refused permission to speak to them.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

If Robbo has no interest in this job he should come out and say so, this would quash any rumours and stop them from growing arms and legs. We don't want the same situation that arose when Dundee United came calling for Hughes and he was refused permission to speak to them.

Maybe he is interested as most people would obviously want to look at an offer to decide whether or not its worthwhile to pursue.

Dont like the club refusing to allow another club to speak to the manager as it can create bad feeling.

Rangers were allowed to speak with McInnes but he said No.

Robbo could do the same 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Maybe he is interested as most people would obviously want to look at an offer to decide whether or not its worthwhile to pursue.

Dont like the club refusing to allow another club to speak to the manager as it can create bad feeling.

Rangers were allowed to speak with McInnes but he said No.

Robbo could do the same 

I agree, let him talk to them and see what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RiG said:

Look what happened when the club refused to let Hughes talk to Dundee United...

Nah, he had a tantrum about not being able to keep star players, then Raven, who was apparently leaving, pulled a sneaky one on him and stayed on after Yogi left... 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I agree, let him talk to them and see what happens.

Agreed. Although Robbo should be very cautious when considering any offer.

Some managers are a good fit for certain clubs. John Robertson has twice been a successful manager at ICT but has never really enjoyed success elsewhere.

In fact, he should perhaps bear in mind that no manager has ever left ICT to enjoy success at any other club.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

What Kingsmills said. He's on a good number here despite all the constraints, so there's little pressure on him. Dundee would be a poisoned chalice imo. However if he wants to leave, no point standing in his way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Look what happened when the club refused to let Hughes talk to Dundee United...

Exfeckinactly. If Robbo wants to stay let him make the decision. Don't pisssh him off. I would rather have any deal done and dusted now so that we can get a decent replacement, not a caretaker, in asap - Hopefully that will not be needed.

If memory serves me right, we refused Robbo permission to speak to Hearts last time around and he resigned and went anyway.

Hopefully, we have learned that lesson and, given how that move worked out for him in the end, so has Robbo.

Good on the club for coming out so quickly and putting an end to this.to many times now we've given people contracts that there not prepared to honour when the going is good or prepared to sit at home collecting wages they've not earned or deserve.john is a caley man at heart I think and seams to like the area and in no way is any blame assigned to him as he's obviously not instigated this but he signed a contract and would expect to be paid for the full term of it so the club should expect him to honour it.

26 minutes ago, ictbob said:

Good on the club for coming out so quickly and putting an end to this.to many times now we've given people contracts that there not prepared to honour when the going is good or prepared to sit at home collecting wages they've not earned or deserve.john is a caley man at heart I think and seams to like the area and in no way is any blame assigned to him as he's obviously not instigated this but he signed a contract and would expect to be paid for the full term of it so the club should expect him to honour it.

Its only good on the club if the refusal was made with the agreement of Robbo.  Regardless of contracts, it is in nobodies interest for the club to prevent anyone who wants to move to further their career,  We saw what happened when the previous Board prevented Yogi from speaking with the Arabs.  We're still recovering from the consequences.  Given the memory of that episode, I assume that the club did speak with Robbo before Dundee were told to feck off but it would have been good to get a statement to that effect to firmly squash any unease.  The Dundee statement about the vacant position refers to having been inundated with applications and that some of their targets are currently employed by other clubs and therefore they need to speak with those clubs first.  This does not necessarily mean that Robbo has applied for the post, but if he didn't, it means Dundee are targeting him despite all the applications.  We have good reason to be a little worried just now.

I certainly hope Robbo is going nowhere.  I think he's a great fit for the club and he has done a superb rebuilding job in the last two seasons.  It would be a disaster for the club if he was to leave.  I fear it would be a disaster for John too.

Last week I saw an article in the Dundee Evening Telegraph that analysed Dundee’s stated search criteria - a manager with over 300 games under his belt and a win rate of over 40%. The only 3 candidates in Scotland meeting those prerequisites were Neil Lennon, Derek McInnes and.........John Robertson.

The process would be an approach to the club (ICT) by interested party, The board or chairman would ask manager about interest and discuss.   Then respond to enquirer,  In this case no permission was given, I'm bloody sure Robbo had input.

Different from Yogi case as that fell apart from Hughes direction.

Edited by caley100

22 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Its only good on the club if the refusal was made with the agreement of Robbo.  Regardless of contracts, it is in nobodies interest for the club to prevent anyone who wants to move to further their career,  We saw what happened when the previous Board prevented Yogi from speaking with the Arabs.  We're still recovering from the consequences.  Given the memory of that episode, I assume that the club did speak with Robbo before Dundee were told to feck off but it would have been good to get a statement to that effect to firmly squash any unease.  The Dundee statement about the vacant position refers to having been inundated with applications and that some of their targets are currently employed by other clubs and therefore they need to speak with those clubs first.  This does not necessarily mean that Robbo has applied for the post, but if he didn't, it means Dundee are targeting him despite all the applications.  We have good reason to be a little worried just now.

I certainly hope Robbo is going nowhere.  I think he's a great fit for the club and he has done a superb rebuilding job in the last two seasons.  It would be a disaster for the club if he was to leave.  I fear it would be a disaster for John too.

There was a lot more to yogi and his time at ictfc but as for robbo I'll say it again we have him a contact when nobody would we have him a better contact as he was doing well so robbo has been well looked after and rewarded by the chairman so I think he's well within his right to protect his investment and tell scumdee to feck off.