Dundee approach for Robertson rejected

ictchris

7 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Last week I saw an article in the Dundee Evening Telegraph that analysed Dundee’s stated search criteria - a manager with over 300 games under his belt and a win rate of over 40%. The only 3 candidates in Scotland meeting those prerequisites were Neil Lennon, Derek McInnes and.........John Robertson.

Och well that's it sorted it's Neil Lennon then :smile:

26 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Last week I saw an article in the Dundee Evening Telegraph that analysed Dundee’s stated search criteria - a manager with over 300 games under his belt and a win rate of over 40%. The only 3 candidates in Scotland meeting those prerequisites were Neil Lennon, Derek McInnes and.........John Robertson.

Think Robertson is statistically our best manager, both times!

Hopefully the board have ran this past him and he's ok with not talking to them - they obviously have money so any discussion would be pretty straightforward,  i.e. take us straight up or you're fired. 

John knows this place and financial constraints aside is quite settled in the job.

Maybe this might even get the board to show JR a bit of transfer market love??

• Like 1

Don't you think that if Robbo wanted to talk to Dundee, he'd have resigned by now as that's usually what happens when clubs refuse other clubs permission to talk to another club! 

Anyway, I'm still not comfortable and am not sure that this is the end of the situation, until Robbo makes a statement himself! 

Apparently Robbo's agent made an approach to Dundee and said his client was interested.

I've been hearing that the story about Dundee making an enquiry is fake news and just newspapers talking crap.The only one who has been with contact with Dundee is John's agent. 

Nothing has been confirmed yet so we are just gonna have to wait & see what happens in the next few days as far as we know it's all just Chinese whispers. 

• Like 1

BBC story quotes Dundee statement ;

"Some of the candidates are currently employed by other clubs and we requested permission to speak to them,"

So without naming anyone they have requested to speak to candidates .

Fake news??

5 minutes ago, IBM said:

Mentioned on BBC sports news this morning it's Strachan they want according to one newspaper. I think the reporters are just guessing!

They want Strachan as technical director supposedly. 

13 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

hmmmm remember 2010? That ended well for them then?

I should have clarified that it bodes well for us. I would be delighted to see Dundee "scoosh" the league in precisely the same manner as 2009/10

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Are you saying that it is a Dundee-al ?

Jim Goodwin to be announced as Dundee manager in the next 72 hours James Mcpake to be offered the role of assistant manager. 

Gordon Strachan has told Dundee's manager director that he only wants the job if he gets full control of academy development so it looks like Jim Goodwin will be the man to take over. 

1 minute ago, DoofersDad said:

Brilliant statement from the club.  Well done to the club and, of course, to Robbo. :notworthy:

Indeed and given the criticism we've given them for past failures to address the fans and wider community they should be applauded especially by being so open and to the point.

Hopefully this is a turning point with regards communication.

I'd also hope they report Dundee for the unsolicited approach.  

• Agree 1

It sounds like Robbo, the new CEO, and the club all deserve credit where it is due. An unwanted approach, Robbo telling the club, the club then rejecting it when finally approached. just as it should be. 

I fall into the camp where I believe we should only reject an approach if the manager is on board with that decision. When he is not, then we have seen on several occasions before that its not worth it in the end and leads to animosity and strife. Thankfully Robbo has nailed his red and blue colours to the mast and it should put a smile on all our faces. We may not be rich, or pay the highest wages, but we do have a manager that is probably the best fit for our club since Pele and has proven he can work with meagre resources. After his past sojourn to Hearts, Robbo knows where his bread is buttered and lets face it, who would want to willingly move to Dundee in the first place !    

• Agree 4

Just now, Huisdean said:

And just maybe some posters will not be so quick to jump in and criticise the board in future as they were when this story broke.

Yes, or should that read 'non story'!

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

Brilliant statement from the club.

Excellent news. 

I don't know if there has been a change behind the scenes, but that struck me as a really well-written statement.  Covers all the ground, tells everyone what happened, gets properly behind Robbo and his staff, and looks to the future. All in a flowing, eloquent and non-pompous style.  A seriously good piece of writing.

Whoever wrote that, please take a bow!

• Agree 5

Very pleased to see the club make such a clear and unambiguous statement so quickly.

There is no doubt that communication, or lack of it, has been a serious issue for a long time but that seems to have improved greatly since the arrival of the new CEO.

Whether or not that is a coincidence, it is a very welcome development and credit wherever it's deserved.