Pre-Season

11 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

To me that is now pre-season ?

Yeah think we use League Cup group stages now as pre-season games. Can't see us getting more games to be honest.

4 pre-season games & 4 league cup games = 8

The SPFL have confirmed that the Group Stage draw for the Betfred Cup will take place tomorrow (Tuesday 28th May) at 1.30pm at Hampden Park

Details of seeding pots will be confirmed tomorrow morning ahead of the draw.

Betfred Cup group stage dates
MD1 Weekend of July 13/14, 2019
MD2 Midweek of July 16/17, 2019
MD3 Weekend of July 20/21, 2019
MD4 Midweek of July 23/24, 2019
MD5 Weekend of July 27/28, 2019
Weekend of August 17/18, 2019

Not getting at you IHE but frankly ever since the European place for winning the league cup was withdrawn I have zero interest in this mickey mouse competition which was once the worst attended professional competition possibly in the world, I would use it to blood youngsters as AF did at Man Utd.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

17 minutes ago, wynthank15 said:

Not getting at you IHE but frankly ever since the European place for winning the league cup was withdrawn I have zero interest in this mickey mouse competition which was once the worst attended professional competition possibly in the world, I would use it to blood youngsters as AF did at Man Utd.

It's the third most important tournament in the country and very worth doing well in for all sorts of reasons not least early season momentum and confidence building.

I didn't regard it as a Mickey Mouse competition when I was sitting at Parkhead with my head in my hands after losing out on penalties to Aberdeen and I don't regard it as a Mickey Mouse competition now.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, wynthank15 said:

In a sense, I do agree. I don't really follow the League Cup as much as I would. But the lack of European qualification can be blamed on our Coefficiency.

Hopefully the introduction of the Europa League 2 in the 2021/22 Season will change that, and add another berth...

Edited by Jack Waddington
2012 and 2021 are very far apart in time, but close in keyboards...

29 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

It's the third most important tournament in the country and very worth doing well in for all sorts of reasons not least early season momentum and confidence building.

I didn't regard it as a Mickey Mouse competition when I was sitting at Parkhead with my head in my hands after losing out on penalties to Aberdeen and I don't regard it as a Mickey Mouse competition now.

It's the third least important tournament, use it to blood youngsters, no one remembers who won the thing and no European place up for grabs. Concentrate on promotion.. As for confidence building, I seem to remember we got some decent results in this competition in the group stages before Hearts hammered us and we got relegated the same season. We have a small squad, the fewer unnecessary games for first team players the better IMHO. If you want to take this nothing competition seriously that's your prerogative but I certainly would not lose any sleep over going out in the group stages if we gave four or five youngsters a run in these matches.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If you are not going to play young players in this competition when are you going to play them? a SC quarter or must win league match, I don't think so, we need to know how the youngsters handle competitive matches against men and that takes games a run of them so do it in all the group matches then you know who can cope at this level and who can't. If we can't play them in these matches what's the point in the U19s. If we even find one or two who can do it that would be a huge step forward.

• Agree 1

Still waiting for date of pre season fixture at Brora - looking forward to fish n chips in The Trawler at Golspie before ko.  An annual treat - both the footie and the food.  

• Agree 1