ICT25 Dream Team

Loving this idea, which was mentioned in this article for the club website - https://ictfc.com/ict25-blog-liam-dalgarno

"fans will also be involved in choosing the ICT25 Dream Team – the best 11 players to have played for the club since 1994.  A short-list of three players per position will be available for fans to vote for.  To make the short-list players must have played 100 or more games for the club."

So let the debate begin!

Here's the 47 players who have made more than 100 appearances for the club - please point out any I've missed! There are obviously a few utility players there (*cough* David Proctor *cough*) who could be put in another position.

Goalkeepers: Mark Brown, Jim Calder, Ryan Esson

Right-backs: David Proctor, David Raven, Mike Teasdale, Ross Tokely

Centre-backs: Darren Dods, Bobby Mann, Stuart McCaffrey, Brad McKay, Josh Meekings, Grant Munro, Mike Noble, Gary Warren

Left-backs: Stuart Golabek, Richard Hastings, Graeme Shinnie, Carl Tremarco

Central midfielders: Ian Black, Paul Cherry, Charlie Christie, Ross Draper, Russell Duncan, Richie Hart, Liam Keogh, Mark McCulloch, Liam Polworth, Paul Sheerin, Greg Tansey, Iain Vigurs

Wide midfielders: Aaron Doran, Jonny Hayes, Roy McBain, Barry Robson, Davie Ross, Nick Ross, Danny Williams. Barry Wilson

Strikers: Martin Bavidge, Graham Bayne, Richie Foran, Billy Mckay, Paul Ritchie, Adam Rooney, Iain Stewart, Dennis Wyness

Obviously I'm disappointed I can't pick Vetle Andersen or Marius Niculae, but never mind :tongue:

Who would you have in your ICT25 Dream Team? :ponder:

• Agree 1

From that list.......

Calder

Tokely Mann Meekings Golabek

Wilson Tansey Christie Hayes

Wyness

McKay

Calder gets the keepers shirt for his ability to save 50% of the penalties he faced. Tokely, an absolute legend, marauding runs down the right, priceless. Bobby Mann, one of our greatest ever players, calmness personified. Meekings, pace and power and good in the air, great match to cover Bobby's lack of pace. Golly! Gets the nod over Shinnie but little difference between the pair. A no nonsense full back and both wear their heart on their sleeve. Bazza, pace skill and always a goal threat. Tansey afforded us plenty of bite in midfield and packs a punch from dead ball situations. A great pairing for 10cc at his prime who had skill in abundance. Hayes has pace to burn and a goal threat. Fantastic player for us. Wyness, what a striker he turned out to be and Billy will pick up any scraps left, excellent finisher.

Harsh by me leaving out Brown, Shinnie, Dods, Black, Duncan, Robson, Rooney and maybe Foran. I'll let them sit on the bench this time out.

• Like 1

There's a gap in our data on the stats front for some of the earlier seasons (which we hopefully have volunteers to assist with in the coming weeks and months) but based on the data I have here are the players over 100 appearances up to 2007-08

image.png

and looking at the data from our stats for players since 2004 (which I know is correct, this is the combined and complete list of players over 100 appearances.) I agree with @hislopsoffsideagain again that there are 47 players on the list. My overall total appearances may be slightly adrift for some of the gaps in our data but I believe this is the full list.

image.png

2 hours ago, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Goalkeepers: Mark Brown, Jim Calder, Ryan Esson

Right-backs: David Proctor, David Raven, Mike Teasdale, Ross Tokely

Centre-backs: Darren Dods, Bobby Mann, Stuart McCaffrey, Brad McKay, Josh Meekings, Grant Munro, Mike Noble, Gary Warren

Left-backs: Stuart Golabek, Richard Hastings, Graeme Shinnie, Carl Tremarco

Central midfielders: Ian Black, Paul Cherry, Charlie Christie, Ross Draper, Russell Duncan, Richie Hart, Liam Keogh, Mark McCulloch, Liam Polworth, Paul Sheerin, Greg Tansey, Iain Vigurs

Wide midfielders: Aaron Doran, Jonny Hayes, Roy McBain, Barry Robson, Davie Ross, Nick Ross, Danny Williams. Barry Wilson

Strikers: Martin Bavidge, Graham Bayne, Richie Foran, Billy Mckay, Paul Ritchie, Adam Rooney, Iain Stewart, Dennis Wyness

Man, this is hard !!!! after typing this several times and swapping names in and out .... Finally going for a 4-4-2 and assuming each player at the top of his game .... 

Calder

Tokely --- Mann --- Warren --- Shinnie

Robson --- Christie --- Tansey --- Wilson

Wyness --- Mckay

Subs : Esson, Teasdale, Munro, Golabek, Sheerin, Hayes, Stewart

• Like 3

————————-Brown———————

Tokely——Mann—-Warren—-Shinnie

Hayes—-Christie——Black——Robson

—————-Wyness——Rooney———-

subs

Calder, Raven, Hastings, Meekings, Wilson, Draper, Ritchie

Edited by ICTPAISLEY
Subs

2 hours ago, northstandfan said:

my dream team would be the team that won the scottish cup

It'll be interesting to see how the views of older and younger supporters compare - those who joined the ranks after 2004 and are used to top flight football will be familiar with higher quality players, whereas those who watched the club in the lower leagues will have attachments to those who stood out in the early days...and to the ones who went ballistic!

My own opinion is that Ross Tokely, Bobby Mann, Charlie Christie, Barry Wilson and Dennis Wyness should be shoo-ins. What that quintet accomplished in our colours is astonishing. Tokely, Christie and Wilson played for us in all four divisions, Bobby is surely our greatest ever captain, and Dennis' goalscoring was astonishing (as were his stepovers!).

As for the other choices, I like the idea of an exception being made for Alan Hercher, our first club captain and scorer of a hat-trick in our first league game. As Charlie Christie himself put it, “Alan was more than a terrific football player; he was a terrific individual who was hugely respected by all those who played alongside him and against him." Besides, I don't think there is a real standout in the other options to fill the second central midfield spot anyway!

My own XI:

Jim Calder - the last Thistle player, a proper cult hero and one of the stars of that night at Celtic Park

Ross Tokely - more appearances for the club than anyone else by miles - that record will surely never be broken

Bobby Mann - our greatest ever captain and an outstanding centre-half. His ability to ping the ball to a teammate 40 yards away was astonishing at that level

Grant Munro - always seemed like the second-best central defender we had at any one time, but a local product who made over 300 appearances for the club and would have been a one club man if Terry Butcher had allowed it!

Graeme Shinnie - captained us to Scottish Cup glory. Consistently one of the best left-backs in the country while playing for us and has gone onto international recognition

Barry Wilson - immense in his first spell at the club, and scored two of the most special goals of the early era - vs Celtic and Motherwell in the Cup. Came back from Livingston to help us to promotion and was an important factor in our first few top flight campaigns. Now on the coaching staff

Charlie Christie - the last Caledonian player, seemed to get better as we went up the leagues and orchestrated the attacks in the gung-ho Pele days. His spell as manager was better than was often acknowledged. Now our head of youth development

Ian Black (if I can't have Hercher) - the toughest pick to make. I went for a midfielder who always gave everything, who liked a tackle but could also pass the ball beautifully (I would happily pick Russell Duncan, Ross Draper and Paul Sheerin here too)

Jonny Hayes - the second toughest pick to make, because it means leaving out Barry Robson. But Hayes was my favourite ICT player of the last decade. No tricks, just pace, balance and a work-rate that 99% of wingers don't have. A wonderful player who deserves all the success he's had since he left us

Dennis Wyness - our record goalscorer, and a technically gifted player who was a joy to watch

Billy Mckay - could just as easily choose Richie Foran, Paul Ritchie, Adam Rooney or Iain Stewart here but Mckay's goalscoring between 2012 and 2015 was mental.

• Agree 1

As Scotty says... hard!

Mine was initially based on the 2004 team which won promotion and the Challenge Cup, and got as far as a semi-final replay in the Scottish. That year we usually played a 4-3-3 but it was impossible to fit my players into that system. Could push Charlie up front I suppose and leave poor old Russeldinho blawing oot his erse, doing the holding and attacking at the same time ?

Esson

Tokely-Mann-Warren-Shinnie

Robson-Christie-Duncan-Wilson

Wyness-Rooney

Subs: Brown, Tremarco, Munro, Draper, Sheerin, Doran, Ritchie.

Meekings would have been in if he had kept fit while he was at his peak. Swapped Ritchie for Mckay at the last minute. Can't believe Danny Williams got 108 games. Personal bias means Doran makes the bench ahead of Hayes who was probably a more effective player.

Can't wait to see @caley100's team with Hasteens first on the teamsheet.

• Funny 1

Like others have said it will be interesting to see how supporters views differ, I can remember us playing at Telford St but MrCaleyjag's first season was 2008-9. Going to have to give this some thought!

Great thread. Brings back Sooooooooooooooo many memories

Calder

Tokely  Mann Dods Shinnie

Wilson  Black  Christie  Hayes

Wyness  McKay

Brown, Warren, Munro, Duncan, Vigurs, Ritchie, Rooney

Now - that is the squad to play Fort William - who have I got left to send to Strathspey !!!

I’m surprised not more people have went with Brown, he was absolutely class for us.  Did he not play a record amount of consecutive matches for us as well? Anyway he was so good Celtic took him off our hands. 

29 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I’m surprised not more people have went with Brown, he was absolutely class for us.  Did he not play a record amount of consecutive matches for us as well? Anyway he was so good Celtic took him off our hands. 

He was indeed a great keeper though not when he had the ball at his feet or at penalties (did he ever actually save one??).

Calder 

Tokely Mann Dods Shinnie 

Wilson Cherry Christie Hayes 

Wyness Stewart 

Subs Brown Meekings Ritchie  Black Robson Sheerin Teasdale 

No sign of Foran anywhere ? 

Edited by mikeyrob73

Brown...Tokely...Mann...Munro...Shinnie

Wilson...Christie snr...Duncan...Hayes

Stewart...Wyness.

I picked Brown in goal for his consitency and Stewart for his amazing eye for goal who would have scared Premiership defences

4 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

I switched Ryan for him just before I posted. I have better memories of Ryan in cup games, although my favourite save is Brown at St Mirren the day we stole it in the cup with half a team missing.

Should we have our very own unscientific poll ? We could do one position per week based on the names in the thread and the most popular formation quoted so far (442) .... Only thing different would be to add Herchie I think (for reasons stated earlier). Do this over the next few months and let site users vote .... see how it compares to the official club one when it comes out 

• Agree 2

On 7/3/2019 at 3:55 PM, tm4tj said:

From that list.......

Calder

Tokely Mann Meekings Golabek

Wilson Tansey Christie Hayes

Wyness

McKay

That's pretty much my selection although I may change Golabek for G Shinnie. Tough one. Great thread by the way.