New ICT Podcast

RiG

We are very fortunate to be joined by ICT's all time leading scorer Dennis Wyness next week for an exclusive interview!

If you have a question for Dennis you want to ask leave it here and we will do our best to ask as many as we possibly can. 

GD19049251.jpg

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WYNESS101 said:

@RiG when is the interview due out?

We recorded it last night and hopefully I can get it ready for a release over the weekend. At this stage I'd say probably Sunday. 

Dennis was fantastic to speak to and happily answered anything we threw at him. Very honest and open about his career so hopefully you guys will enjoy it as much as we did!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

Yeah he fairly opened up as we went on. His recollection of ICT games was really excellent and I was a little sad that we had to end the chat and then had to cut out about 30 minutes to try and get it to a reasonable length!

That was really good, listening to ICT’s most modest legend just talking openly and honestly. Brought back so many memories of that era, and it really helped that he has such good recollection of games and events from 15-20 years ago.

Credit too to the interviewers who did a very professional job and had clearly done a lot of research and preparation which didn’t go noticed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 1/25/2021 at 8:03 PM, RiG said:

and then had to cut out about 30 minutes to try and get it to a reasonable length!

Would it not have been possible/practical to have a Pt1 and Pt2? Just a thought.

Anyway, besides that, well done guys and especially to His Royal Wyness I really enjoyed that. For a chap who kept himself to himself he could fair rattle once he loosened up. A round of a applause to all involved.:clapoverhead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

The problem with researching stuff for Wyness was that so many of the internet sources no longer exist especially for his first spell with us. Even when he came back to us details around it are pretty sketchy although there are still some posts on here from 2008 which covered the contract saga which I was able to turn up having recalled the disagreement playing out in the local press at the time.

Ian Broadfoot's book "Going Ballistic" was critical to the research of Wyness's earlier years at ICT. Without that we would have been pretty thing on 1999 - 2003 information. If anyone hasn't got a copy yet the club are still selling them for £5. I had to order a replacement copy as I've lost my original signed copy.

As for releasing it as a two parter it's not something we think is a good idea on the whole. We did that with the Tremarco and Tansey interview and the second part saw a 30% drop in listeners which was a shame and we were wary of having something similar happen again.

• Thank You 1

Really grateful for all the kind comments about the pod here, and glad everyone seems to have enjoyed it. Thank you.

5 hours ago, FrontRow said:

A great listen. He sounded a bit nervous at first but as soon as he heard you guys knew your stuff you could hear him relaxing. Came across as a really nice guy which is always good!

I think this is spot on. He mentioned something early on about us having done our research, and he seemed to appreciate that. I think he was determined to give the best interview he possibly could, and either he's got an incredibly good recall of the narrative of his career, or he'd taken the time to do a bit of research and revision of his own. Either way, it says a great deal for him that he was so generous with his time and his memories and, as you say, a really nice guy. 

• Well Said 1