Cove Rangers (H) - Tues 23rd July

MrCaleyjag

An observation. When we lost to Dundee United last year we seemed to warm up for nearly 40 minutes being quite a bit more than United. Last night in severe heat we warmed up again for about 40 minutes.  Cove probably spent no more than about 30 minutes in the heat. In the first half they appeared far sharper than us. Spare a thought for Keatings who ran his socks off in the heat especially doing most of the chasing down of their keeper. He looked quite dejected to be subbed on 69 minutes but appeared to have run more than most players in such heat.

6 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Keep up Mantis, all in the Preview and Report.............

Something very comical about JR when he is that pissed off, i'd hate to be a player getting the hairdryer off him...I'd end up getting fined a months wages for laughing.

Good interview tho, valid points made.

Edited by Satan
  • Like 1

A poor performance from us but a deserved win which should have been much more comfortable.

Defensively we were poor and often played 2v 2 with the Cove strikers which almost ended badly on several occasions. God knows what position Brad was playing as it wasn't right back. Both Cove's goal came down the right side although Vincent should have done better at matching the Cove player's run and stopping the cross into the box. Defensively, we need to sharpen up especially Donaldson who has been poor both defensively and his distribution has been equally poor. 

I also think tactically we were poor and the ploy of all our defenders up for corner's leaves us really vulnerable on the counter attack. Also, towards the end of the game, we stopped leaving men up the park which just invited Cove to send more players into our box. Robbi seems to be aware of these issues so hopefully they will be addressed.

I think Todorov must start ahead of White for several reasons. Firstly he is more mobile and brings players into the game, secondly, he makes runs that White doesn't and gambles and lastly, he will score more goals than White will.

• Agree 2

Those that were at the game can hopefully answer this as I wasn't there but against Peterhead I noted that our FBs starting position was very wide and high almost hugging the touchline.

I wonder if this is one of the causes of our defensive issues?

Lets be honest Tremarco is getting on a little and not the player he was and McKay isn't a natural FB so their positioning has a lot to do with recovery and moving back in to defend, against Peterhead McKay was caught a couple of times over the top with Donaldson covering leaving the middle exposed. Also their high positioning left McCart exposed twice in which he brought down the attaching player which the ref dubiously waved on.

I'd be inclined to have their starting position slightly deeper and tucked in a bit meaning they can receive the ball in attacking situations further in field giving them time to control and push on, from what I saw they were pressed wide instantly against Peterhead and had no out ball and when they lost the ball they were isolated. It would also offer a bit more cover for the CB's if we lose the ball early.

That's the problem defensively in a nutshell. Full backs are playing way to high and wide and this causes real problems. The centre backs are also playing far too square and one needs to tuck in beside the other. Really basic tactics that should be simple to work on.

We have been playing teams from the divisions below us. Especially at home Robbo has probably instructed the fulls back to play wide and high, so they are attacking threats and pin the other team back rather than a tight back 4. Would be surprised if they played the same against Dundee. Presume you will see a much tighter unit. Time will tell

I’m not so sure. Rooney in particular used to play well forward for a right back and Tremarco likes to get forward. 

Issue may be more that we are lacking Welsh sitting in front of Donaldson and McCart so they are less protected as a result.