John Beaton

caleyboy

Former ICT youth coach, Caley manager and Inverness youth football stalwart John Beaton died today. I think he would have been 71/72. Sad news, football was his life. RIP.

Edited by caleyboy

Very sad news.  Was a huge figure in Inverness football over the years.  Used to come into my work when I was still at school/uni and was always good craic.

Recall the classic "Fat John, Skinny John's Barmy Army" chant back in the day celebrating the ground breaking Beaton/Docherty co-management duo.

RIP.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I have largely withdrawn from this site but am compelled to add to the tributes to John Beaton.

A true stalwart of football in Inverness for decade upon decade. A staunch Caley man who became an equally staunch Caley Thistle man. One of the best who will be missed but never forgotten.

• Like 1

• Scotty pinned and featured this topic

Very sad news this.  Football in inverness owes a massive debt of gratitude to John for the amount of work he put in over such a long period. He must have helped launch so many careers at so many levels during that time. It was always a pleasure to play in his teams.

Massive part of so many of our lives, gave up everything for his teams, not that we properly appreciated him, but the influence he had on so many young people will stand. 

He would rant on for nearly all of half time, then with about a minute left would turn to     Jackie and ask if he had anything to add. 

‘No John, I think you’ve covered everything.’

The Beaton Generation.

• Funny 1

My football skills were practically non existent, but JB always welcomed me along to training with the same enthusiasm as thise who had talent in abundance.

I doubt any individual worked harder for football in Inverness than he did.

RIP big fella.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:25 PM, caleyboy said:

Former ICT youth coach, Caley manager and Inverness youth football stalwart John Beaton died today. I think he would have been 71/72. Sad news, football was his life. RIP.

John went through primary and secondary school with me, so he was aged 69 coming up 70. He was a polio victim and for some time wore callipers to school.

l remember one day after school aged about 6 or 7, he asked me round to his house to play a game he got for Christmas.

It was called  “Subuteo”. Was that the present that sent him on his love and complete understanding of the wonderful game?. He lived and breathed football, so sorry to hear of his passing.

6 minutes ago, een said:

John went through primary and secondary school with me, so he was aged 69 coming up 70. He was a polio victim and for some time wore callipers to school.

l remember one day after school aged about 6 or 7, he asked me round to his house to play a game he got for Christmas.

It was called  “Subuteo”. Was that the present that sent him on his love and complete understanding of the wonderful game?. He lived and breathed football, so sorry to hear of his passing.

He had polio. I don't think, however, that the big man ever regarded himself as a victim. It just wasn't in his nature.

One time at training, the new thing was 'change of pace,' so all the drills were about change of pace and beating yer man, all that.

Next game, up at Milton, JB on the touchline as animated as ever. The rather rotund full back, 'Donnie', gets the ball, big bit of space in front of him, into which he lumbers gradually.

'Change of pace, Donnie, man, change of pace...' JB yells.

Donnie's mind is willing, he pushes his head forward to see if that will help, but to no avail, still in slow motion...

JB punches the ground, raging.

'Aw fer fck's' sake, Donnie, ah didn't mean to fckn go slower...'

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

One of my funniest memories is the game where the team consisted of a Dodo, Gogo, Coco, Tommo, Jojo, Johndo and Robbo. Lets just say that Mr Beaton was tongue tied and entertaining - until he ran out of expletives and gave up  !!!

That's because the lot of you were no f...... use?

Having officiated  at many games were John was in the dugout I always listen to what John had to say it was funny and in most cases made sense

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic