Alan Hercher Memorial Game

Jack Waddington

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/big-names-to-honour-caley-thistle-legend-at-charity-cup-match-180834/

The Alan Hercher Memorial Cup will feature an array of past greats from Clach, Ross County and Caley Thistle.

Hercher, a phenomenal performer in the Highland and Scottish leagues, passed away tragically last August.

The Beauly man’s death at just 52 drew a huge outpouring of grief from within and far beyond the football community for a much-admired and much-loved individual who wrote his name in the Caley Thistle record-books.

Hercher netted Caley Thistle’s first Scottish Football League goal in a 5-2 triumph against Arbroath in August 1994 as part of a 21-minute hat-trick – still the fastest in Caley Thistle’s history.

Peter Corbett was the manager who first signed him for Caledonian.

He felt the time was right for the local football community to honour his past team-mate and raise cash for Highland Hospice in his memory.

“We felt it was only right football should do something in his memory,” Corbett said.

“John Bain, Alan’s great friend, and I came up with the idea of an Alan Hercher Memorial Cup using local football legends.

“Along with Alan’s family and friends, it should be a good day. There are a lot of legends in local football and, arguably, Herchie was one of the biggest.

“Going into the Scottish leagues, he just carried on doing what he’d been famous for in the Highland League – scoring goals and winning games.

“I signed him for Caley from Ross County when County went amateur in the early to mid-80s and he was a lovely boy then.”

Players taking part include Charlie Christie, Billy Skinner, Iain Polworth, Colin Sinclair and Neil MacCuish.

Kick-off is 3pm.

6 - 4 to Clach and we were 2 - 4 up lol. 

Entertaining afternoon, nice to see some old faces and some good banter from the dugouts. Charlie Christie was getting right riled up on a couple of occasions. Made I think over £2,600 for the hospice. 

• Like 1

Aye was a decent afternoon.  Don't think Charlie knows how to NOT compete and I thought he was either going to end up getting battered by Sandy Macleod (who was playing for Clach) or Billy Ferris who was on his own side.  Some decent play, savage craic from both dugouts and a sum raised for charidee.  All in all a good afternoon out.