Team for Dundee United

WYNESS101

9 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

Livi also did us 3-0 at home in Pele's first league game. 

We lost 4-0 away to Dunfermline in the opening day in '99.

And 3-0 at home to Rangers in '07. 

And 3-0 at Fir Park in '11.

This is just a thing we do. Everything will be allright. 

Not forgetting 2017: 0-1 at home to DUFC on the opening day followed by 1-5 at East End the following week. Vigurs and Polworth both played. Mind you, so did Elsdon, Calder and Seedorf.

I reckon it's a bit presumptuous to write us off after only one game in the Championship, and that against the clear favourites and financially backed Dundee United. Yes we need to improve, but until we can gauge ourselves against similar opposition to ourselves then I will refrain from making rash judgement.

Not the best result, but a tough opening fixture for anyone.

• Agree 6

What an uplifting place to be this morning.  Same as last season surely.  But agreed, the Dundee games and tomorrow seem very poor and we look off the pace - surely fitness shouldn't be an issue for us??  Hopefully three points at home this saturday against Arbroath and a decent home support to set us on the right path.  Could be worse, you could be at Belladrum.......

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Not forgetting 2017: 0-1 at home to DUFC on the opening day followed by 1-5 at East End the following week. Vigurs and Polworth both played. Mind you, so did Elsdon, Calder and Seedorf.

Oh I had also erased that Dunfermline day from my mind. That was an awful 

3 hours ago, tm4tj said:

I reckon it's a bit presumptuous to write us off after only one game in the Championship, and that against the clear favourites and financially backed Dundee United. Yes we need to improve, but until we can gauge ourselves against similar opposition to ourselves then I will refrain from making rash judgement.

We clearly have issues which need to be sorted out quickly. We have had five competitive matches, have lost to both Dundee clubs, have beaten Raith and Cove, and drawn with Peterhead.

I don't buy the line that the League Cup is a noddy cup that no one cares about.  It has essentially the same pool of teams as the Scottish Cup (I'm ignoring the non-league teams here), and so it's just as difficult to win as the Scottish Cup.  Maybe more so since it's not straight knockout.

I sincerely hope that no manager or team says "That cup doesn't count" or "These early games are all about finding our feet".  The team needs to learn how to win, and it needs to have confidence in itself.  Pretending that early results aren't so important is foolish.

At the end of the season, the margin between success and failure could be one point or goal difference.

• Agree 1

At danger of being a Happy Clapper here goes. Did anyone expect anything else from Tannadump other than a performance improvement ? To blame on fitness is nonsense although perhaps we concentrated more on game time rather than your traditional pre-season torture ? Every cup counts until you get knocked out of it so dropping out helps is also nonsense. How may would have been looking forward to a last 16 tie ? But as tm4j suggests the next two games have become very, very important. But lets not get into the thinking trap that Arbroath are there for the taking - BUT this simply has to be a three point result if nothing else. Then we go back to Dens and although we were bad they were little better. And then there is Robbo. I sincerely hope that the signing of Storey is a sign that we are going to have more of an attacking ethos ? Dundee especially had us sussed tactically so we should be able to turn the tables as they are equally one-dimensional - if not moreso. 4-6 points out of 9 will look a lot, lot better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I don't buy the line that the League Cup is a noddy cup that no one cares about.  It has essentially the same pool of teams as the Scottish Cup (I'm ignoring the non-league teams here), and so it's just as difficult to win as the Scottish Cup.  Maybe more so since it's not straight knockout.

Obviously it’s easier to win than the BIG CUP, because C(o)unty won it ?

Interesting point you raise though. By ‘difficult to win’, you must mean for the smaller clubs such as us.

One the one hand, apart from the group stages it is straight knockout, making it easier, and the group stages are very early in the season, which seems to make for more shocks, suggesting that the smaller clubs are taking it more seriously. 

On the other hand, it’s seeded in the knockout stages, making it harder. Also if it started a month later, I think shocks would be rarer than they are.

Interesting that both cups have been won 6 times by non-erse-cheek clubs since the turn of the millennium. I look forward every year to the Scottish Cup draw and regard the League Cup as less important. The Scottish Cup (which actually gets under way this Saturday) has far more history. I think I’m in the majority. In turn this means more clubs covet it, and in theory it’s harder to win. Just my two Euro cents worth..

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 1

Utd with Shankland up top will do that 2 a few teams this season! Embarrassing start but things will improve up top now wev Storry possible signing of Tansey would sort the midfield defence will get better they're all solid defenders ! Sort the home form with a win over Arbroath hopefully

Double edged sword tbh, while I expected nothing else than to be beat I certainly didn't expect to be beaten by this margin.

Is it a gulf or just down to one bad day? I'm hoping for the latter but things need to change as that's now three defeats to Utd in as many competitive months and we look defeated even before we play them, a shadow of the team that put them out of the Scottish Cup last season.

Devoid of inspiration, devoid of innovation, devoid of creativity and almost going through the motions of inevitability. 

It's very difficult to predict a drastic improvement for Saturday against Arbroath but we must win, we've started this season the way we finished last season and that's infectious.

A complete and utter dicking. Admirable of our defence to let Shankland score 3 carbon copy goals before Donaldson was easily turned for an excellent 4th.

If there was little be positive about last week then we're scrapping the barrel for anything good to take home after that.

Eye gauging long balls to White who seldom won a header, had little chances created for him and when an opportunity did come his way he contrived to pull a shot wide from about 3 yards. 

Robbo seemed to have no idea how to change things but it was telling that the rare time we did fashion a reasonable chance it was when we got the ball on the deck and worked it wide with Walsh. Trafford was garbage and needs benched immediately.

After seeing the match report I feel a bit more positive than before I saw it. However defending was poor - yes, chances not taken yes, too much hoofing yes but if we can get back to playing the football  we are capable of then I will have a lot less worries. There is great potential in the squad, Robbo has got to get the selection right and to use his subs as soon as he sees any weaknesses and not just wait till the last 15 mins as is becoming predictable with the hope that, that will turn things around. 

1 hour ago, MrCaleyjag said:

Devoid of inspiration, devoid of innovation, devoid of creativity and almost going through the motions of inevitability.

Hardly unexpected, season on season we are slowing reducing the creativity in the team due to loosing our best players. Given the budget cuts that align with that it will never be like for like and a steady reduction until we either plateau at a level or we find a bargain gem to turn it all round - peaks & troughs. The most hope we can have is that as the weeks progress the team will start to gel and new players understand their role and team-mates - bringing better unity and the confidence to express themselves to create based on the strengths of those around them.

Least this being early on there is plenty time for recovery but also gives the wake up call to the club and fans that we are not going to be title contenders without a huge amount of work and fortune. Its clear that the level needs to improve and now everyone knows it.

There's a reason Robbo has never really achieved anything as a Manager and it's because he is, and always was, a one trick pony.

It worked for us when he was here the first time because he was new to the position and an 'unknown', but he's now so predictable that even the poorest of managers know exactly what he is going to do and our squad isn't strong enough to override that with ability alone.

Nice guy but he doesn't have the managerial creativity needed to make a team greater than the sum of its parts.

I thought Utd looked a far better, slicker, more clinical, side than Dundee the week before and yet we did ask their defence a few questions. That’s about all the positives though.

With the midfield we have I can’t see us achieving much. Probably quite a bold step by Robbo to drop Vincent and start Carson, but having been impressed by Carson against Hearts in a friendly I have to hold my hands up and say I was wrong. He was like a rabbit in the headlights, and You could see him thinking about what to do when it had already happened. Although he’s young and should improve. Vincent actually did ok when he came on but that just shifted the problem to right back where Brad had at least been competent. Don’t get me started on Trafford though. Just to mention he got his weekly booking before half time and one foul in the second half could easily have been a second yellow. Walsh got to the byeline a few times and was probably our best player. Doran has the skill but not the legs and he really needs grafters around him.

It’s probably best if White moves on for a fee. I feel there’s a future there for Todorov and Keatings with a different playing style, along with  one or two of the young lads used from the bench. If either of them were asking their agent to line up a move before the window shuts I couldn’t blame them.

Defensively the problems are stacking up with Brad and Rooney injured and Carlo struggling for pace. Jamie continues to be our best defender though constructively he’s poor and tends to boot it the way he’s facing. With Coll I think we just have to accept what we’ve got. He can be brilliant but always seems to have one clanger in him every week. I wouldn’t have risked any of the youngsters in that game but maybe we have to in “easier” fixtures.

Early days but I’m pretty sure that was the eventual champions we were watching. And we would kill for a 7000 crowd in Inverness. 

The highlights don't show it but just before United get the opener a long ball over the top wasn't dealt with by Ridgers / McCart (?). Ridgers started to come for it but then backed away with McCart struggling to make up the lost ground.

Donaldson loses Shankland for the second goal far too easily and for the third Tremarco looks like he is standing too far off Shankland and can't get near him to challenge for the cross.

For the 4th goal Vincent gets sucked to the ball and lets his man run free.

In all instances poor defensive play by us.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, RiG said:

The highlights don't show it but just before United get the opener a long ball over the top wasn't dealt with by Ridgers / McCart (?). Ridgers started to come for it but then backed away with McCart struggling to make up the lost ground.

Ridgers was right not to come. McCart got done by the ball over the top but recovered well.

Await the Red Dot brigade but I feel that we are in a hiding to nothing this weekend - unless there are changes. Three points (even is scraped) will maintain the present system. A draw or defeat may bring about the needed change that many appear to feel is necessary.

• Agree 2

In the two home games I have seen, we have been poor defensively and lost goals by poorly defending crosses. We badly need a good defensive right back but we go and sign another forward??. The route 1 football we seem to be playing simply won't work with White as he isn't good enough in the air and his hold up play is poor. Would it be better with Todorov, possibly as he is better in the air and has more awareness of what is happening around him. We also scored two very good goals against Raith and Cove when we did move the ball quickly and wide so the potential is there. Trafford needs benched as he slows the game down too much and always receives the ball facing the wrong way. Give at least one of the youngsters a start on Saturday and see what happens.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

Ridgers was right not to come. McCart got done by the ball over the top but recovered well.

Ridgers and Robbo were giving each other pelters after the goal. 

• MrCaleyjag unfeatured and unpinned this topic