Curing the Smokies

If I was Robbo I would be considering something radical for Saturday. We now have Brad and Rooney missing to fill the right back slot and are firing in replacements who are clearly unsure of the roles. We are missing Welsh from the important holding midfield and Tremarco and Doran appear to be experiencing the middle aged leg weakness syndrome. Then we are hoofing high balls to a supposed target man who is not blessed with ability to soar in the air. I can wholly understand why Robbo did not alter anything for the very difficult game at Tannadice but surely Arbroath at home is the game to try something different. So here is my starting X1 although I know that it will never happen. This team may have defensive frailities but its attacking potential is clear.

RIDGERS

HARPER  DONALDSON  McCART

VINCENT  CARSON

STOREY  McGREGOR  WALSH

TODOROV   KEATINGS

Edited by IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER
Error

Expect Arbroath to play 4-4-2 so our 4-2-3-1 should match up favourably against that.

Looks like McKay, Rooney, Curry and Welsh are going to miss this.

Carson has really struggled at RB from what I've seen. I remember Tremarco had to play one game last year (against Ayr I think) at RB and I wouldn't be surprised if we move him there. McHattie presumably would then go to LB though I feel like if Harper is as good as Robbo thinks he is then he should get a shot.

The key here is going to be finding the best CM duo out of Trafford, Carson, Vincent and McHattie. Trafford has really gone off the boil but he is the most natural defensive midfielder of the lot and his physicality will be important as Arbroath are not short on that. I'd have Vincent over Carson at the moment.

I'd go with the same attacking quartet that started at Tannadice rather than pitch Storey in.

Didn't see the utd game but think things need freshened up. Think McGregor and Harper should start. I imagine the home fans will be ready to boo at the first opportunity but I hope they would cut McGregor and Harper some slack. White doesn't seem to have rediscovered his end of season form and think todorov is just a impact player. Could push Keatings up top or start storey if he is fit/training well. Don't like making too many changes but a couple needed to shake things up.

Edited by Stirling Observer

I do think we have to make some changes and this is an ideal game to do so. MacGregor will give the team some much needed energy and while not knowing too much about Harper, worth throwing him in now when not under so much pressure.

• Agree 1

On 8/6/2019 at 12:26 PM, hislopsoffsideagain said:

Tremarco had to play one game last year (against Ayr I think) at RB and I wouldn't be surprised if we move him there. McHattie presumably would then go to LB though I feel like if Harper is as good as Robbo thinks he is then he should get a shot.

Whilst I get the logic, I’m really not sure about that. Carlo is very left sided and in that game always cut back in to use his left foot. He did ok defensively but it slowed us in an attacking sense. 

Any word on Brad?

Edited by Robert

On 8/7/2019 at 2:46 AM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Sumtimes you don't know what you've got till its gone - It may be utter gash but it may be the complete opposite.

It is a coded message to Alan Simpson FFS

12 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Anyone know if there'll be any pre-match things? Considering it's (more or less) 25 years to the day that we played Arbroath in our first (home) game of the season and it's been a year since Alan's passing...

Good shout.

This Saturday we face Arbroath in our opening home league match of the new season.  This Saturday’s game is almost exactly 25 years, to the date, of our first league match, which was also against Arbroath. The match finished 5-2 to ICTFC with Alan Hercher scoring a hat-trick. 

Along with the celebrations for the 25th Anniversary of the club,  we will remember, Caley Thistle legend, Alan Hercher. Alan tragically passed away last year and he was the first ever captain of the club. 

Alan will be remembered in various ways this Saturday, there will be the opening of the Alan Hercher enclosure in the North Stand, there will be a minute of applause before the match in memory of Alan and all the players, Directors, staff and fans we have lost across the first 25 years. 

Friends and family of Alan’s will be in the P&J Lounge for the match and some members of the first Caley Jags team will be pitch side for the tribute. 

The Caley Thistle players will wear the special edition ICT25 Strip for this match to celebrate the 25 anniversary of our first match and each player will be wear an armband with the number 4 on it, Hercher’s squad number, as a tribute to him. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5