Matchday Thread - ICT v Arbroath (H)

MrCaleyjag

10 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

Hopefully start Storey and Todorov nxt week be a better gauge of where we are 2 against play off rivals I'd drop Carson as well try McGregor a bit more direct of a player! Think well get better as the season goes on specially at the back wev a strong defence they're for some reason bombscares so far! Hopefully Robbo be brace with the tactics wev been woeful 2 watch so far this season

Carson seems more marmite than Vincent on here? My opinion is that hes a bit of a rough diamond at moment but has promise. 

• Agree 1

Another very hard earned 3 points. I know it's early in the season, but if we are going to struggle, against one of the teams that are being mentioned to be near the bottom of the league come the end of the season, then it may be a long hard season for us. As a few folk have already said on here, when did we become a long ball route one team? Do we have to play with a tall target man? How about using the pace of Walsh, Keatings and Storey and terrorise their defenders, they always say that defenders don't like teams with pace running at them, but we punt balls up the park to a player who plays with his back to goal, and is very poor at timing his jumps. Robbo has to spring surprises on the visiting team now and again, whether it be tactics,  formation or lineup,  but we trot out the same thing week after week. When we were on our way to the stadium, we named the starting 11, and the way we would play, and the only thing we got wrong was Rooney coming back early. If we know that, then the opposing team know that and they can set up accordingly. The only thing that Robbo seems to want to tweak is central midfield, so he must be happy with everything else! We need to get the ball on the ground and pass our way forward at pace, it's not rocket science,  other teams do it to us, but as with last season, we must be the slowest team at counter attacking in the league, passing the ball back and forth along the back line, until the opposition are back in their shape, and then trying to play through them! I hope we try something different for our next game, but I think I could name the starting 11 and tactics now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Defence rotten for the first goal.  Doran has no left foot that’s why he didn’t score his first couple but you’d think the players would know that and play him in on his stronger foot.  Like Keatings did for the goal.  Poor day at the office for White but I’ll just casually drop in he was top scorer last season and await the tirade.  Poor entertainment but a better start points wise to last season.  Play offs here we come......??

14 minutes ago, bigman said:

Not sure about the comments on Vincent I thought he had a good game worked hard and cleaned up in mid field .

Think it's more the problem that he's far too slow on the ball, and slowed down the flow of a few promising counter attacks due to his inability at times to release the ball quickly. Again though he'd probably work better with a midfield that includes a player like Welsh so he can take on more of a Chalmers role. Although Carson looks more than capable of that plus a little bit better on the ball than Vincent.

• Agree 1

Watching the highlights, I was maybe a bit harsh on Ridgers at the first goal. Under pressure, he dealt with the cross. I think things then went wrong as Rooney was on the ground after Ridgers’ punch as he would have been closing Linn down. Carson ran half way across the pitch to try to close him down whilst Rooney also tried to get out. I think Ridgers felt Donaldson should have covered for Rooney and closed Linn down judging by the argument between them after the goal. 

Ridgers saved is at the death.

We looked better in the highlights than my memory of the game!

9 hours ago, Weekend Hacker said:

Defence rotten for the first goal.  Doran has no left foot that’s why he didn’t score his first couple but you’d think the players would know that and play him in on his stronger foot.  Like Keatings did for the goal.  Poor day at the office for White but I’ll just casually drop in he was top scorer last season and await the tirade.  Poor entertainment but a better start points wise to last season.  Play offs here we come......??

Interesting you mention White being top scorer last season. To the best of my knowledge he only scored 7 goals in league games.  That is not a great return from your main striker. Todorov and Storey would be my choice surely 7 in a league season would be attainable by one or both and we certainly had a lot more pace when they were on. All about opinions  I suppose 

• Agree 2

From watching the highlights, I would have expected Rooney to close down Linn, he hesitated, wanting to stay on the line, when he would have been more useful putting Linn under pressure. 

Great ball by Keatings for our opener. Whilst the second was a goalkeeping error, I liked seeing Storey have the confidence to strike it early. Don't think many were expecting the shot. Like someone mentioned the highlights made it look like we played okay. Although most who were in attendance seem to disagree. 

On 8/11/2019 at 11:29 AM, Weekend Hacker said:

16 goals from 52 appearances not exactly a great return 1 goal every 3 games for your Main striker.

46 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

16 goals from 52 appearances not exactly a great return 1 goal every 3 games for your Main striker.

Somebody should inform Robertson... he obviously can't have noticed this. 

Whites for the offski u heard it here 1st ! Think he's a decent player Robbo didn't use him properly he's good with the ball at his feet yet we ping high balls for him when he's poor in the air in a team that play 2 up top all the time I think the big man would be decent would defo set up a lot of goals

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Whites for the offski u heard it here 1st ! Think he's a decent player Robbo didn't use him properly he's good with the ball at his feet yet we ping high balls for him when he's poor in the air in a team that play 2 up top all the time I think the big man would be decent would defo set up a lot of goals

........ and when he leaves I'm sure you'll be the first to question why we let him go.

Either you've seen something different this season from last season to change your mind on him or you're just being different for the sake of it, the boy couldn't do anything right last season in your eyes but now you think he's a decent player. 

You're a confusing chap Alan Simpson, so much so I think you're confusing yourself.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MrCaleyjag said:

........ and when he leaves I'm sure you'll be the first to question why we let him go.

Either you've seen something different this season from last season to change your mind on him or you're just being different for the sake of it, the boy couldn't do anything right last season in your eyes but now you think he's a decent player. 

You're a confusing chap Alan Simpson, so much so I think you're confusing yourself.

That's where your wrong my man early doors I said the big fella would be mint in a front 2 just not his style been a lone striker! Was 1 of his biggest fans after xmas the man improved big time credit where credits due! I would question letting him go if we played a lot with 2 men up top for sure ! He's SPL bound and gonna say he'll be a handful if the team play 2 his strengths

• Confused 1

Surprised there's no speculation on here over the identity of the player who (per Robbo's post match interview on FB/Twitter) showed a very poor attitude with not getting a start and going off in a huff and if that player thinks he can do that then he won't wear a Caley Thistle strip again. Apparently the issue will be addressed next (this) week. ?

4 hours ago, cif73 said:

Surprised there's no speculation on here over the identity of the player who (per Robbo's post match interview on FB/Twitter) showed a very poor attitude with not getting a start and going off in a huff and if that player thinks he can do that then he won't wear a Caley Thistle strip again. Apparently the issue will be addressed next (this) week. ?

Is it that Norwegian lad who's made an unannounced return?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Is it that Norwegian lad who's made an unannounced return?

As long as it's not Todorov. He's been knocking in headers from set pieces for fun since joining.  Wish he'd get more game time. Hope he doesn't become another Alex Fisher where we discover too late what we had under our noses just warming the bench. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 8:16 PM, MorayJaggie said:

I disagree

let’s have a look at past and present strikers career stats

Rooney 435 appearances 180 goals 1goal every 2.41 games

McKay 385 appearances 128 goals 1 goal every 3 games

White 366 appearances 109 goals 1 goal every 3.35 games

Keatings 199 appearances 54 goals 1goal every 3.68 games

Todorov 110 appearances 18 goals 1 goal every 6.11 games

Storey 217 appearances 32 goals 1 goal every 6.78 games

I think there is a total misconception that around a goal every 3 games is bad.

The reality is it’s really quite a decent return for a striker especially on the money we as a club can afford to pay.

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic