Matchday Thread - ICT v Arbroath (H)

MrCaleyjag

On 8/15/2019 at 8:30 AM, cif73 said:

Surprised there's no speculation on here over the identity of the player who (per Robbo's post match interview on FB/Twitter) showed a very poor attitude with not getting a start and going off in a huff and if that player thinks he can do that then he won't wear a Caley Thistle strip again. Apparently the issue will be addressed next (this) week. ?

What's he want the guy to do cartwheels when he can't get In the team I'd be raging if I couldn't get in our starting 11 even with my sciatica and feet on the wrong way round!

• Disagree 1
  • Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, Gregor said:

I disagree

let’s have a look at past and present strikers career stats

Rooney 435 appearances 180 goals 1goal every 2.41 games

McKay 385 appearances 128 goals 1 goal every 3 games

White 366 appearances 109 goals 1 goal every 3.35 games

Keatings 199 appearances 54 goals 1goal every 3.68 games

Todorov 110 appearances 18 goals 1 goal every 6.11 games

Storey 217 appearances 32 goals 1 goal every 6.78 games

I think there is a total misconception that around a goal every 3 games is bad.

The reality is it’s really quite a decent return for a striker especially on the money we as a club can afford to pay.

If you had any scientific training you would use goals/game, not the other way round. No of games is the controlled variable. Using your way, high score = poor.

So White is 0.30 goals per game. You might think that's OK for a striker. Where your argument falls apart is that White is a main striker, not a supporting striker. 

Also, he's just about a Championship level striker, but his best seasons have been in the lower leagues. I asked you before, how long you had been watching the team, and you didn't answer.  I  don't think you've ever seen any good ICT strikers so you've got nothing to compare White against.

Some of the players you mention played in the Premier so your figures are skewed.

Rooney - only played one season in the Championship, 0.59 goals/game. The league's top scorer.

Mckay played all his games for us in the Premier. So did Storey. Even at that, Mckay got 0.38 and Storey 0.35 the last season they were here.

Season 2009/10 Richie Foran 0.40 second to Rooney.

Season 2003-4. Hislop 0.42, Bingham 0.40, Ritchie 0.52, Wilson 0.41

Season 2002-3 Wyness 0.61, Ritchie 0.47 and yet we were only 4th.

Haven't got figures for previous years but Wyness/Ritchie/Wilson/Robson/Shearer/Christie/Sheerin  will all be up there.

I appreciate the effort big Jordan puts in and always encourage him at matches but get real.

Edited by TheMantis

4 hours ago, TheMantis said:

If you had any scientific training you would use goals/game, not the other way round. No of games is the controlled variable. Using your way, high score = poor.

So White is 0.30 goals per game. You might think that's OK for a striker. Where your argument falls apart is that White is a main striker, not a supporting striker. 

Also, he's just about a Championship level striker, but his best seasons have been in the lower leagues. I asked you before, how long you had been watching the team, and you didn't answer.  I  don't think you've ever seen any good ICT strikers so you've got nothing to compare White against.

Some of the players you mention played in the Premier so your figures are skewed.

Rooney - only played one season in the Championship, 0.59 goals/game. The league's top scorer.

Mckay played all his games for us in the Premier. So did Storey. Even at that, Mckay got 0.38 and Storey 0.35 the last season they were here.

Season 2009/10 Richie Foran 0.40 second to Rooney.

Season 2003-4. Hislop 0.42, Bingham 0.40, Ritchie 0.52, Wilson 0.41

Season 2002-3 Wyness 0.61, Ritchie 0.47 and yet we were only 4th.

Haven't got figures for previous years but Wyness/Ritchie/Wilson/Robson/Shearer/Christie/Sheerin  will all be up there.

I appreciate the effort big Jordan puts in and always encourage him at matches but get real

Only quoted the six players from recent times career stats 

Yes if you take Storeys and Whites time here at Inverness on its own  then you are correct

Storey 0.36 or 1 goal in 2.78 games

White 0.31 or 1 goal in 3.22 games 

However football isnt just about one season its about a career and over a career Whites stats are consistent and  decent.

I mean if you were looking at Stevie Mays stats over last 5 seasons 85 appearances 8 goals is only 0.09 goal per game or 1 goal in 10.6 games. Not an outstanding ratio at all. 

But lots of football fans would love to have him at their clubs. This must be  based on his total career stats of 256 appearances 90 goals which shows a ratio of 0.35 goal per game or 1 goal in 2.84 games.

So I think I was quite correct to look at individual players total career stats rather than a snapshot of their career.

23 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

Heard the union are on the case unfair dismissal Polly can take a coaches head of with a ferocious left hook nothing said some poor bugger moans Trafford gets picked before him brings down the wrath of Robbo

What’s the story here? Trafford was on the bench last weekend. Have we let him go?

Edited by Robert

3 hours ago, Caley Stan said:

As per Mantis, I've got a lot of respect for the work White does, but he's not a decent goalscorer at this level - the stats say so. 

23 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Scottish Championship  career stats as per  Mantis ratio of our 4 forwards 

KEATINGS 0.33 goals per game

44 goals from 137 appearances 

WHITE  0.23 goals per game

28 goals from 120 appearances 

STOREY  0.09 goals per game

3 goals from 32 appearances

TODOROV   0.08 goals per game

3 goals from 35 appearances 

So Keatings and White have best ratio and as such should be played as a two pronged attack imo.

However whoever the manager decides to play lets hope that chances are created for the forwards to have a chance of converting.

By looking at total career stats and drilling down to Championship stats then my conclusion is still the same Keatings and White have proved they are the front runners for starting spots in the team.

So Stan,  if White isnt a decent goalscorer at championship level , he is still way ahead of  Todorov or Storey in his performance at Championship level.

Edited by Gregor

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

This negative criticism stuff is a bit too hearty for my comfort.

Hope as we go along we can emphasis the positive rather than dwelling on what some folk think is/are the  flaws.

Encouragement sometimes is much more beneficial than the opposite since a player's confidence  sometimes needs back-up and encouragement to set him/her on fire. And emphasises the team spirit rather than to isolate and condemn the odd man out so to speak.:mountie:

'Just thinking....! :whistle:

• Agree 1