Another Cup - A new destination ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, Alan Simpson said:

Wait for it when we go crashing out early doors the happy clappers it's a nonsense cup who wants to win this! I'll be buzzing if we win it 

It's a nonsense cup I will say it before we crash out and I'm far from a happy clapper.

The Challenge Cup has a place but its also a failed opportunity for a lower league competition to be done better. Generally clubs within this comp are out of the LC & SC early doors so its great it provides a platform for those clubs and fans to maybe win a trophy, something they would otherwise miss out on.

Where it could be better utilised is by having group stages similar to LC - afterall we are in mid Aug, all but 1 team outwith the Premiership are out of the LC , which is common most seasons. Therefore have the CC with some additions from HL & LL plus the colts but excluding the teams from elsewhere with groups and keep it regional and give the fans some games on midweeks and LC wknds for the next month or so while we still have good weather. This gives the opportunity for more game time, teams to gel and also a bit of squad rotation which can only aid youth development.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

The Challenge Cup has a place but its also a failed opportunity for a lower league competition to be done better. Generally clubs within this comp are out of the LC & SC early doors so its great it provides a platform for those clubs and fans to maybe win a trophy, something they would otherwise miss out on.

Where it could be better utilised is by having group stages similar to LC - afterall we are in mid Aug, all but 1 team outwith the Premiership are out of the LC , which is common most seasons. Therefore have the CC with some additions from HL & LL plus the colts but excluding the teams from elsewhere with groups and keep it regional and give the fans some games on midweeks and LC wknds for the next month or so while we still have good weather. This gives the opportunity for more game time, teams to gel and also a bit of squad rotation which can only aid youth development.

Can’t complain with that.

Doubt we will make many changes. 

Would be good to see Welsh start, in place of Carson or Vincent, whilst Todorov is worth a start, given his goals from the bench. Possibly him and Storey starting ahead of White and either Keatings or Doran?

I’d also like to see MacGregor start but suspect he will come off the bench again. 

• Agree 1

On 8/27/2019 at 11:59 PM, ICTPAISLEY said:

How exactly is it a nonsense cup? I really like the Challenge cup and hope we go all the way this year. 

Why? I couldn't tell you who won the thing in the last three years. As BDU says make it regional group games and play the youngsters in it give them experience against 1st team players from league 1 and 2. All the pros in the last two generations have said what brought their game on the most was playing with and against men in the reserve league something the youngsters of today are not exposed to. If you can't play them in this make weight competition when are you going to play them. Seriously, who will remember who won this joke competition in 3 years time and more to the point who cares?.

Just now, lizi said:

My memory lets me down sometimes but not about ICT.   I remember our win, where it was, against and score - injury time goal by Carlos.  

Coll Donaldson got Man of Match and received a big bottle of Irn Bru ! (The sponsors that year).

Could be an interesting line up. Robbo saying Kellacher and Wilson will be in charge tomorrow, pick the team and decide any substitutes. He also says that MacKay, Harper, MacGregor, McHattie, Welsh, Trafford and Todorov will start. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robert said:

Could be an interesting line up. Robbo saying Kellacher and Wilson will be in charge tomorrow, pick the team and decide any substitutes. He also says that MacKay, Harper, MacGregor, McHattie, Welsh, Trafford and Todorov will start. 

Not before time for Todorov to start, likewise MacGregor.  Both outstanding.  Looking forward to tomorrow.  

• Agree 1

https://spfl.co.uk/news/tunnocks-caramel-wafer-cup-r4-draw

DATE CONFIRMED FOR THE DRAW FOR THE LAST 16 OF THE COMPETITION...

The draw for the fourth round of the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup will be made on Tuesday September 10 at 12.30pm.

It will be streamed live on the SPFL YouTube channel via the following link - CLICK HERE 

Fourth-round ties are scheduled for the weekend of October 12/13.