Scotty

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

Well, there was a 5-1 v Dumbarton 2 seasons ago, Nathan Austin hat-trick.

Our biggest league win last season was just 3-0.

Tonights result is our biggest league win since the 7-0 promotion party at Ayr in 2010.

I seem to recall a 5-0 scoreline against Arbroath way back in the pele days, with help from a Barry Robson masterclass?

• Funny 1

Very good performance last night by all the players

Bit surprised reading on P&B s lot of negativity on our first half performance from those watching on tv . However judging by my view and those around me at the game we were all pleased with the movement all over the park  of the team which I think can be missed on tv.

Very enjoyable evening and four different goal scorers. It’s good that on the  front four positions we have two players for each position when Mitch comes back to replace the starters.

In our 8 games goals coming from all over the pitch and it’s good to see the forward players getting goals early season.

Great start in the league 2 home wins and coming away with a point from 2 visits to Dundee is very encouraging.

Edited by Gregor

I will agree with the rest. I thought the first 35-40 minutes was the worst witnessed at the Caledonian Stadium and it would hold no interest for the neutral fan. Total lack of atmosphere and little to enthuse over on the park. What a contrast in the second half right from the whistle and the usual profligacy was replaced with clinical finishing. Something not seen for a long time up here but very welcome.

Shaun Rooney was the only thing that lit up the dull first half but the transformation after the break was amazing. All over the park things were happening and even Marky saved a poor penalty to keep the clean sheet.

Good to see Keatings get a couple of goals, hopefully kick start a run of goals for him.

As already said, McCart is turning into a solid defender and his long ball accuracy is usually perfection.

Relax, it's Saturday, let the rest take the strain.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Robert said:

A very enjoyable evening. I thought we shaded the first half and just about deserved to be ahead. 

A flyer at the start of the second settled us and we then kicked on. 

A bit surprised about the earlier comments in this thread as I expected a tough game. Where we struggled at times in the first half, it was generally self inflicted. 

I actually felt we played for the full match, which we don’t always do, and by the end we were coasting and looking for a sixth. 

Just a pity there was quite a small crowd. 

Hopefully that gives confidence and we stay in the play off places. United are a cut above everyone, we need to be the next best and aim for second.

The pitch looked good again, and the sprinklers were in use before the game and at half time despite the heavy rain earlier. It seemed to play well. 

We are best when we move it fast. More of that, please. 

Of the players, Ridgers was rarely troubled and a good penalty save. 

Rooney is doing much better this season. Tremarco was the best I’ve seen him this season. Donaldson took his goal well, whilst McCart is class. 

Carson and Vincent worked hard. A couple of slack touches by Carson, but I think he will develop into a mainstay for us as he wants to take the ball down and play it. The new Tansey?

Walsh has some good touches and runs. Doran held the ball well but seems to have lost a yard of pace,

Keatings took his goals well and was lively. White took his goal well. 

Of the subs, Storey was quiet until he switched to the right late on. Todorov did very well for his goal, assuming he was just on side. MacGregor looked lively as always. 

Most enjoyable 90 minutes for a long time!

More please!!

Can't really argue which much of this summing up, especially regarding the defence...McCart in particular really looking good, and Rooney surely having his best game for us? I thought that Doran looked sooo dangerous with the ball (one of the stars of this league IMO), and Walsh was starting to find good range with his crosses. Is Keatings the new Tansey/Chalmers for us with his free kicks and corners (wonder what he's like with penalties), the fact he scored the 2nd with his (less favoured?) right foot was excellent. Whilst Vincent and Carson aren't exactly Vigurs and Polworth, I think they will get us through a long winter mixing it up with Welsh and Trafford. Great to have Storey back, and happy to see for Todorov on the scoresheet. 

Going to be an interesting season, trying to keep up with Dundee Utd. I'm up for Dunfermline away in two weeks time, and I can't wait

8 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Hope it wasn't just a fluke and we can replicate it on Saturday...

Aye, Morton back in Sneck next Saturday, in the Caramel Wafer Cup.

Does Robbo stick with the team that beat them 5-0 - that would surely be a psychological advantage, and could help the team gel.  Or does he mix it up a bit and give some others a run out - which would also be a good thing.

Nice problem to have.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Robert said:

A very enjoyable evening. I thought we shaded the first half and just about deserved to be ahead. 

A flyer at the start of the second settled us and we then kicked on. 

A bit surprised about the earlier comments in this thread as I expected a tough game. Where we struggled at times in the first half, it was generally self inflicted. 

I actually felt we played for the full match, which we don’t always do, and by the end we were coasting and looking for a sixth. 

Just a pity there was quite a small crowd. 

Hopefully that gives confidence and we stay in the play off places. United are a cut above everyone, we need to be the next best and aim for second.

The pitch looked good again, and the sprinklers were in use before the game and at half time despite the heavy rain earlier. It seemed to play well. 

We are best when we move it fast. More of that, please. 

Of the players, Ridgers was rarely troubled and a good penalty save. 

Rooney is doing much better this season. Tremarco was the best I’ve seen him this season. Donaldson took his goal well, whilst McCart is class. 

Carson and Vincent worked hard. A couple of slack touches by Carson, but I think he will develop into a mainstay for us as he wants to take the ball down and play it. The new Tansey?

Walsh has some good touches and runs. Doran held the ball well but seems to have lost a yard of pace,

Keatings took his goals well and was lively. White took his goal well. 

Of the subs, Storey was quiet until he switched to the right late on. Todorov did very well for his goal, assuming he was just on side. MacGregor looked lively as always. 

Most enjoyable 90 minutes for a long time!

More please!!

Can't disagree with that summary.  Broadly speaking, that's the way it looked to me too on TV.

I'm a little surprised that there are not more positive comments on here, after our biggest win in a long time, against a well fancied Morton outfit.  Second half performance was just what we need.

Well done lads.

• Agree 1

I think some who have commented on the tv coverage are being overly negative about the first half. Morton came into this on a good run, above us in the table, and were pacy at times. I felt it was pretty even, but we started to be on top as half time approached, got a deserved lead and kicked on. 

I see virtually all home games and the occasional away one: that was our best display for some time, certainly at home where we have under achieved in recent times  

Well done to the team and management: more of the same, please.

• Agree 4
  • Facepalm 1

Snoozefest for the first 44mins, then we came to life, unfortunately the same cannot be said for the paltry crowd. No way over 2000 there tonight.

Positives all over the park tonight with good options on the bench,a marked contrast from last year.

Good nights work 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

To detract slightly from the positivity - Morton were terrible when given goal scoring chances - several were scuffed, the penalty was atrocious and we had one kicked off the line. To be fair the first half was dire but Morton did park the bus.

It wasn't just up front they were terrible on numerous occasions the left CB had his hand in the air for offside whilst the right CB and/or right back was playing the man on, this happened regularly in the second half. The easiest way to defend long balls is to step up but they seemed to be at sixes and sevens.

• Funny 1

First half wasn't much to write about, little quality for the first 10 / 15 minutes, lots of poor passing meant the possession kept changing through mistakes.

Started to look more dominant as the half wore on, but until Keating strike we didn't look clinical.

Second half was better, although once we got the second it looked like Morton's defence could be beaten easily - and so it was. Plenty good performances but remember after winning 5 nil our goal difference is only +3 , so there is a bit to do yet...only 4 games in after all.

Lots of mentions of Mccart improving and being a good passer - glad he's passing is better now because it was awful in his loan spell. Id rather he concentrated on his defending to be honest, still think hes a bit powder puff in some challenges, particularly in the air.

5 nil next week...not a chance. They will be tighter at the back and might make Ridgers work harder...maybe ?

• Disagree 1

Great result ............................ as long as we kick on from this.

The Arabs will be tough to keep up with but if we can start knocking in a few goals who knows? Hopefully last night's result will instil a bit of confidence in the whole team. First half was pretty uninspiring although we just about deserved to be ahead at the break and once we scored the second we seemed to grow in confidence.

No reason we can't finish second (being realistic) although I would just love us to edge out Utd (especially after last season)

1 hour ago, Satan said:

Lots of mentions of Mccart improving and being a good passer - glad he's passing is better now because it was awful in his loan spell. Id rather he concentrated on his defending to be honest, still think hes a bit powder puff in some challenges, particularly in the air.

Have you seen him play recently? He’s become our best defender.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

To detract slightly from the positivity - Morton were terrible when given goal scoring chances - several were scuffed, the penalty was atrocious and we had one kicked off the line. To be fair the first half was dire but Morton did park the bus.

I agree on Morton's failure up front and in respect to us allowing them the chances however to flip that on it's head, for me the pleasing aspect is we took notice of it.

While they parked the bus we took the game to them and showed a ruthlessness we've lacked for a long time. All too often we'd have huffed and puffed in a game like last night.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Robert said:

Aye, Coll is making him our best defender with his performances. 

Like I said I think if he can focus on his defending, particularly in the air where he doesn't dominate like he should for his size. I don't think he's the type of centre back that forwards fear playing against...yet.

• Disagree 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Robert said:

Ah yeah. Your missing the point.

We have to select one of our better players who is playing well and randomly criticise them. It’s McCart this week and next week it will be Rigders for saving penalties but not holding the ball ?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

17 minutes ago, Satan said:

Aye, Coll is making him our best defender with his performances. 

Like I said I think if he can focus on his defending, particularly in the air where he doesn't dominate like he should for his size. I don't think he's the type of centre back that forwards fear playing against...yet.

Whatever!! Coll has played well in the last two home games and has doubled his scoring record from last season already. 

As someone has said on a different thread, we should extend McCart’s contract if we can. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, Tree said:

Ah yeah. Your missing the point.

We have to select one of our better players who is playing well and randomly criticise them. It’s McCart this week and next week it will be Rigders for saving penalties but not holding the ball ?

I know. It is just frustrating that some are so negative in the wake of our biggest win in a long time!!

• Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Robert said:

I know. It is just frustrating that some are so negative in the wake of our biggest win in a long time!!

Some fans have to moan at someone now that Polworth has settled in fine at Motherwell :wink:

• Agree 6

• tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic