Sign in to follow this  
Tree

Away Fan Farce

Recommended Posts

Yet again there was almost trouble due to siting the away fans in the middle of home fans in the main stand without adequate stewarding.

This is the third time that this has happened, at least in which I have observed.

The away fans refused to sit and stood along the passageway. After asking them to sit the stewards and club management gave up. After ejections of home fans for less in previous seasons this is bewildering and indeed in breach of the safety guidelines under which we are granted a certificate.

If we don’t want to open the south stand why are the away fans not placed in the west corner of the north stand where they can be segregated more easily?

As well as Jim K did in keeping the Caley and Morton fan apart there is insufficient stewards to stop things kicking off and as before this is now the third time that trouble has almost happened.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty embarrassing stuff last night to be honest. I am no angel when it comes to standing up and coming out with a few expletives but some of the personal abuse the Morton fans were dishing out to Steven (Paisley) Thompson was just head in hands stuff. Absolutely no action taken by the stewards who basically are a waste of a wage and are their for no other reason to make up the numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’ve sat in the same place for over 20 years, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Let’s not get annoyed because some fans would like to stand up at a football game 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a big deal when you feel unsafe and intimidated at a football match. I agree as have witnesses similar incidents and the pathetic excuses of stewards at ictfc backing away and actually hiding rather than doing the job they are paid to do. The club should be trying to encourage folk to come to matches and families. Why would you pay 40, 50 pound to be intimidated and scared? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

They’ve sat in the same place for over 20 years, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Let’s not get annoyed because some fans would like to stand up at a football game 🙄

Over 20 years?? Only started placing away fans in this area last season. 

Issue is bigger than a  few people standing up and on three occasions there has almost been trouble. 

MJ is correct about right to feel safe and the club are not on top of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope they (ICT) actually take notice and realise the wrong Away Fans separated by a line of police tape + a bad game for them, will eventually end in scraps, and they need some competent stewards rather than dumping them all in the North Stand to yell at anyone who's feet dare touch a chair...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like many fans, I have not been immune to swearing at games but my language has never been like the sort used by Morton fans on Friday. The club make announcements before games and have notices posted around the ground about fan behaviour and inappropriate language yet this was openly condoned by the stewards and/or club condoned this by doing nothing. There was a genuinely nasty atmosphere being created by the Morton scum, sorry fans, there on Friday. Worst fan behaviour outside of the ugly sisters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tree said:

Interesting that Away fans are paying less than ICT fans for the same stand!

If that is true, that is really poor.

Got to say given our current attendances, it makes no sense to have more than 2 stands open but surely it should be possible to better police this. I can't say I found the Morton fans particularly upsetting but it's not difficult to see that away fans could be more... "exuberant" than folk in the main stand might be.

Edit: Just found ticket info on Morton website, and that is so bad. I know some clubs have got a bad press (at least in the past) for charging away fans more but surely charging them less is unheard of

Edited by LuluCaley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest those who witnessed these issues to email the chairman on [email protected] (I would say the SLO but I haven't see or heard anything about that position this season so I dunno if it even still exists) I'd be interested to hear the response. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

It is a big deal when you feel unsafe and intimidated at a football match. I agree as have witnesses similar incidents and the pathetic excuses of stewards at ictfc backing away and actually hiding rather than doing the job they are paid to do. The club should be trying to encourage folk to come to matches and families. Why would you pay 40, 50 pound to be intimidated and scared? 

The stewards are on minimum wage usually old men or young girls u seriously expect them to wade in 2 a group of drunken weegies ! It'll defo kick of at a game yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

The stewards are on minimum wage usually old men or young girls u seriously expect them to wade in 2 a group of drunken weegies ! It'll defo kick of at a game yet!

You could stand there Alan without a yellow jacket and that should do :smile:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tree said:

Interesting that Away fans are paying less than ICT fans for the same stand!

They are paying north/south stand prices, but as the cheapest option stand wasn't opened then they get access to the main stand for the same price. 

To be expected. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh the joy of being in the North Stand and far far from away fans objectionable behaviour.   After trying various areas, for view, for out of cold wind/rain/sun/whatever, I chose a great seat for my season ticket, so many years ago.  Great craic, lots laughs every game,  and I have made great friends who return to the same seats season after season.  Such blessings not to be in earshot of away “fans”.  I find the view from Main Stand strange (if in hospitality) and atmosphere so different.    The North Stand is great for goals at “our” end and I can use my binoculars for those at the other!   The North Stand is top class for umpteen reasons. 

 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The club will do nothing about it.

If they aren't going to open the south stand then the fans should be put in the corner of the Main Stand with the correct amount of stewards to handle the crowd size.

 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WYNESS101 said:

The club will do nothing about it.

If they aren't going to open the south stand then the fans should be put in the corner of the Main Stand with the correct amount of stewards to handle the crowd size.

 

Simples

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

The stewards are on minimum wage usually old men or young girls u seriously expect them to wade in 2 a group of drunken weegies ! It'll defo kick of at a game yet!

While I agree with what you say and the sentiment it's up to the company providing the stewards to ensure that they are up to the job, if not then what's the point of them. Saying that I'm sure we've all said on more than one occasion what's the point in stewards, they pick on easy targets and that's no matter where you go.

If the club aren't happy with the service provided by said company then they should complain about it, the only way for the club to back this up is by fans complaining to the club. Make them aware of your concerns and complaints, whether they take notice is up to them but at least ourselves as fans have done what we can.

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Supporters Trust has taken this matter up with the club.  CEO Scot Gardiner was very aware of and concerned about the problems with the Morton "fans" and explained the very specific circumstances of this incident.  Because of the game being on TV with an early KO time as a result, and given the distance Morton fans would have to travel, Morton supporter groups told Morton that they were asking fans to adopt a 100% boycott of the game.  The club gave its support to that stance and informed ICT of the situation.

Opening the South stand involves significant extra expense with a separate servery, extra cleaning etc., and the decision was taken not to open the South Stand.  However, recognising that despite the boycott, some people may still come to the game, the club set aside the South end of the main stand to accommodate any who turned up.  In the event, more than expected turned up and unfortunately, amongst these was a group of around 20 whose behaviour was very poor. Scot recognises that the situation must not be allowed to happen again and therefore they have taken the decision that, despite the financial implications, the South Stand will be open for away fans for all future games this season.  This includes the game on Saturday when it is anticipated that the crowd will be even smaller than last Friday.

As Fraz rightly says above, this is the sort of issue you might expect an SLO to deal with, but the club does not currently have an SLO.  Scot has agreed that it would be useful to have a separate meeting with the Trust to discuss what elements of the SLO role, as defined by the SFA and Supporters Direct Scotland, need to be carried out and to identify how that might be done within the financial constraints faced by the club.  We'll update you with progress on that in due course.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

The Supporters Trust has taken this matter up with the club.  CEO Scot Gardiner was very aware of and concerned about the problems with the Morton "fans" and explained the very specific circumstances of this incident.  Because of the game being on TV with an early KO time as a result, and given the distance Morton fans would have to travel, Morton supporter groups told Morton that they were asking fans to adopt a 100% boycott of the game.  The club gave its support to that stance and informed ICT of the situation.

Opening the South stand involves significant extra expense with a separate servery, extra cleaning etc., and the decision was taken not to open the South Stand.  However, recognising that despite the boycott, some people may still come to the game, the club set aside the South end of the main stand to accommodate any who turned up.  In the event, more than expected turned up and unfortunately, amongst these was a group of around 20 whose behaviour was very poor. Scot recognises that the situation must not be allowed to happen again and therefore they have taken the decision that, despite the financial implications, the South Stand will be open for away fans for all future games this season.  This includes the game on Saturday when it is anticipated that the crowd will be even smaller than last Friday.

As Fraz rightly says above, this is the sort of issue you might expect an SLO to deal with, but the club does not currently have an SLO.  Scot has agreed that it would be useful to have a separate meeting with the Trust to discuss what elements of the SLO role, as defined by the SFA and Supporters Direct Scotland, need to be carried out and to identify how that might be done within the financial constraints faced by the club.  We'll update you with progress on that in due course.

 

Thanks for feedback DD.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I agree that the club is being seen to be taking some action, because of a small minority of  unruly visiting 'away fans', surely, especially for the probable,even fewer number, who will travel north for this next 'minor' cup game, just sticking them in a far corner of the uncovered main stand would have been enough.  Then we could all have prayed to the rain Gods!!  Opening the South stand for a handful of visiting fans does not make economical sense.

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets see what happens this wknd and if there is a repeat, although I doubt many Morton fans will take the long trip up. Last think we want is it all kicking off and main standers having to get out the knitting needles and socks stuffed with Werthers to wade in and defend themseleves!!!!

  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Lets see what happens this wknd and if there is a repeat, although I doubt many Morton fans will take the long trip up. Last think we want is it all kicking off and main standers having to get out the knitting needles and socks stuffed with Werthers to wade in and defend themseleves!!!!

 

As amusing as that scenario might be, there will be no repeat as the few fans who come up will have the south stand all to themselves, where the steward/fan ratio will be 1:1.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • FB_caley_thisle_online_970x90.jpg

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.