A national embarrassment

wynthank15

Even by recent standards tonight's match against Russia takes some beating, could have been four or five, our defence and midfield were at sixes and sevens couldn't keep the ball and just what is the point of Charlie passback Mulgrew? can't pass the ball ten yards forward on the ground when a man is open and is out jumped by the opposition centre. Even Andy Robertson looked like a first division player tonight. Felt sorry for McBurnie up top as he had zero service, Christie showed some nice touches when he came on. The commentators of course described Russia as world class which they are not though we probably made them look better than they actually are. We haven't quite hit rock bottom yet but I feel sure that will come with time at which point the bankrupt SFA might finally decide we need an overhaul of how we play the game at all levels in this footballing back water. The winners tonight were the 20+ thousand who sensibly decided not to shell out for a ticket to watch that dross.

I was at our last appearance in the WC finals in France and we thought the team was murder then as did the fans of the teams we played, the current squad have achieved a new level of hopeless. Maybe "project brave" will save our "national game"

• Agree 3

Just in the door after sitting through that. Christie has to start on Monday but that leaves another 8 or 9 positions to fill. Even the captain was poor - I’ve seen him playing twice for Liverpool this season but for Scotland he’s been a shadow of the club player. 

The captain was terrible and even if he hadn't been we don't stand a chance with that back 4. All over the pitch it was a really bad performance for 80 minutes. Obviously we were never likely to get out of this group after Kazakhstan but a draw would've at least kept a flicker of hope going for the next round a matches. Now we face meaningless games with piles of call-offs until the end of March when the serious stuff starts. Anyone fancy us to beat Norway and Serbia?

If I were Clarke I would announce now that if we fail to make the Euros the players will be expected to make themselves available to attend a summer camp during the finals. Anyone refusing to attend automatically rules themselves out of the squad for the future (print their names in the paper), they would be away from home for three weeks anyway if they qualified for the euros. He needs time with them to work on formations and a style of play that suits their ability, you can't do that in a couple of days before a match. I would also arrange three closed door matches against teams from outside Europe to put these ideas into practice, if we go into a world cup qualification group without this kind of preparation it will be more of the same.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 11:20 PM, wynthank15 said:

Even by recent standards tonight's match against Russia takes some beating, could have been four or five, our defence and midfield were at sixes and sevens couldn't keep the ball and just what is the point of Charlie passback Mulgrew? can't pass the ball ten yards forward on the ground when a man is open and is out jumped by the opposition centre. Even Andy Robertson looked like a first division player tonight. Felt sorry for McBurnie up top as he had zero service, Christie showed some nice touches when he came on. The commentators of course described Russia as world class which they are not though we probably made them look better than they actually are. We haven't quite hit rock bottom yet but I feel sure that will come with time at which point the bankrupt SFA might finally decide we need an overhaul of how we play the game at all levels in this footballing back water. The winners tonight were the 20+ thousand who sensibly decided not to shell out for a ticket to watch that dross.

I was at our last appearance in the WC finals in France and we thought the team was murder then as did the fans of the teams we played, the current squad have achieved a new level of hopeless. Maybe "project brave" will save our "national game"

...well the second attempt didn't fair too well either - way too many times when the Russians were running around what appeared to be training dummies rather than actual players ?

Clarke seems to think that performance marks the bottom, I'm not so sure, some of the players don't want to be there and some are just not good enough or don't have sufficient self confidence or confidence in their team mates. We played a rigid 5 across the middle who got so deep they were almost on top of the back 4 and we still conceded 4 goals. Midfield is allegedly our strongest area of the pitch but we don't show it, we are so deep we can't get out and on the rare occasion a clearing punt finds the lone striker he can't hold it up and wait for the midfield to get up in support. Charlie Mulgrew Supposedly our most experienced defender got too tight to their big centre which puts him at a disadvantage right off the bat, the big man can rag doll him if he's touch tight plus has the advantage in the jump. I don't see any easy fix, if we're going to play with 10 men behind the ball I don't see us beating too many teams As I said above, any manager needs three weeks with the players to work on a system that suits their level, frankly, there are some modest club sides that could have put up a better showing last night.