ICT - Partick Thistle (H), Sat 28th Sept

MrCaleyjag

Three poor goals to lose however the game showed up our likely Achilles Heel in lack of cutting edge up front.

Whilst Jordan scored one he also missed three other decent chances including the last kick (or sclaff) of the game. Others missed chances of course.

• tm4tj changed the title to ICT - Partick Thistle (H), Sat 28th Sept
  • tm4tj pinned this topic

Agree with above. Should have been ahead at the end of the first half but the missed chances have come back to bite us. Actually said to the guy sitting next to me that White had his best game for ages at the end of the first half and he agreed but in the second half, he unfortunately reverted to the old Jordan White on many occasions. For his size, Jordon isn't nearly physical enough with defenders although in his defence, the amount of times he gets blatantly fouled by defenders, with nothing given, is unreal.

All 3 Partick goals came from poor defending yesterday, first goal started when Vincent failed to tackle in midfield, the defence let the player run at them and it looked, albeit from a distance, that Ridgers could have done better as he was beaten at his near post. Second goal was coming all afternoon as we were frequently caught in possession trying to do silly things and the third goal, while well created and finished, we simply allowed the Partick player to run at us. The second goal was obviously crucial as it gave Partick confidence, especially Kenny Miller who then came alive and, in truth, we should have lost more goals. This against a poor Partick side is a real wake up call to us.

Robbo needs to start getting a bit ruthless with certain players. Vincent was poor yesterday and cannot remember him making a tackle. This is where we lost the game in the second half as were overrun in midfield by Partick and don't think Robbo made the correct substitutions at the right time. I also think McGregor found it hard going at times, understandable of course as he needs more games at this level, but none of the other senior players seemed to be looking out for him and helping him  on the park.

While the referee did not influence the game, I thought he was poor. Missed many obvious fouls, for both sides, and seemed to think that if a player shouted when tackled or lay on the ground it had to be a foul regardless of whether the ball was cleanly won or not. How he took so long to book Fox for timewasting, when Fox was clearly taking the mickey out of the ref was really poor.

Shake up in the attitudes of some players required for next week with a difficult trip to Ayr.

• Agree 1

If that had been Caldwell's Partick side I think after we had gotten the equaliser we would have gone on to win but they looked much more organised and resolute under McCall already. The intensity of the midfield press completely swallowed up Vincent and Welsh at times and we missed the creativity of Walsh in the wide areas with McGregor and Storey struggling to really create too much especially in the second half.

Poor defending for the opener. We've seen already this season the huge gap that Rooney leaves in the RB area when he goes forward and Partick ruthlessly exploited that with a smart ball into that area by Bannigan and Zanatta latched on to it and with Donaldson not able to stop him he lashed a low drive past Ridgers into the bottom of the net. Question marks over Ridgers perhaps? Donaldson certainly seemed unhappy with him.

Good equalising header from White after a fine cross by McGregor on the right side after he got past his marker. This is the kind of ball we should be trying to get to White more often. It's been said before he often struggles in some match ups against opposition defenders but yesterday he, at times, had the better of his marker and this was one occasion where he got some reward. Doran and McGregor both passed up great chances to grab a second for ICT. Doran sent a tame shot into the arms of Fox and McGregor blazed over from about 18 yards out. Disappointing to only be going in at half time all square after 45 minutes where we had started poorly but turned it around to really dominate the second part of the first half. That said, if you don't take your chances...

Second half and ICT were slow out the blocks again and Partick capitalised. I don't really know what happened as there seemed to be no danger with McCart in possession then next thing Miller was bursting clear and bearing down on goal. A cool side footed effort easily beat Ridgers and Partick were ahead from seemingly nothing. McCart almost made up for this mistake when he headed over from a corner but he couldn't take advantage of Partick's slack defending. White then had an acrobatic volley fizz wide of goal as we again started to get back on top but were wasteful with our finishing. Sadly I had to leave early but when I got back to my car I heard that Partick had scored again to kill things off.

Up until recently we had bee tight defensively and the back four had looked almost impenetrable so it's disappointing to see them being cut open and gifting goals like they did yesterday and whilst it seemed like we had a fair bit of the ball and perhaps the better chances, especially in the first half, it means nothing if we don't bury the opportunities when they come our way. On the plus side McGregor impressed again but I'm not sure wide right is the best position for him. Hopefully Walsh isn't out for too long though.

3 hours ago, Huisdean said:

Agree with above. Should have been ahead at the end of the first half but the missed chances have come back to bite us. Actually said to the guy sitting next to me that White had his best game for ages at the end of the first half and he agreed but in the second half, he unfortunately reverted to the old Jordan White on many occasions. For his size, Jordon isn't nearly physical enough with defenders although in his defence, the amount of times he gets blatantly fouled by defenders, with nothing given, is unreal.

All 3 Partick goals came from poor defending yesterday, first goal started when Vincent failed to tackle in midfield, the defence let the player run at them and it looked, albeit from a distance, that Ridgers could have done better as he was beaten at his near post. Second goal was coming all afternoon as we were frequently caught in possession trying to do silly things and the third goal, while well created and finished, we simply allowed the Partick player to run at us. The second goal was obviously crucial as it gave Partick confidence, especially Kenny Miller who then came alive and, in truth, we should have lost more goals. This against a poor Partick side is a real wake up call to us.

Robbo needs to start getting a bit ruthless with certain players. Vincent was poor yesterday and cannot remember him making a tackle. This is where we lost the game in the second half as were overrun in midfield by Partick and don't think Robbo made the correct substitutions at the right time. I also think McGregor found it hard going at times, understandable of course as he needs more games at this level, but none of the other senior players seemed to be looking out for him and helping him  on the park.

While the referee did not influence the game, I thought he was poor. Missed many obvious fouls, for both sides, and seemed to think that if a player shouted when tackled or lay on the ground it had to be a foul regardless of whether the ball was cleanly won or not. How he took so long to book Fox for timewasting, when Fox was clearly taking the mickey out of the ref was really poor.

Shake up in the attitudes of some players required for next week with a difficult trip to Ayr.

Vincent has been poor every game bar last week (but he was never MOM )yesterday was back to his usual he plays the ball backwards never forward also I do wonder how long Robbo will keep starting Jordan yes he scored yesterday but look how many he misses . MOM yesterday young Roddy no doubt 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Alan Simpson said:

What u wanting to meet me for I don't put out on 1st dates I'm afraid soz sister

At my age it’s no date - and no need to call me sister - more likely grandma! just wanted to chat about ICT but if you unavailable then I will just  have my usual meet-up with IHE (hope he’s coming over the border). 

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Polo Chick said:

Vincent has been poor every game bar last week (but he was never MOM )yesterday was back to his usual he plays the ball backwards never forward also I do wonder how long Robbo will keep starting Jordan yes he scored yesterday but look how many he misses . MOM yesterday young Roddy no doubt 

Just out of interest Who would you start instead of Jordan PC? 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Alan Simpson said:

We were offered a fee for big White from St Mirren fcuk nos why we didn't cash in ! Be a long trip home from Ayr if we play like that again!

If that is correct then obviously the manager didn’t want to lose him Alan.

Edited by Gregor
  • Confused 1

PT were the epitome of a team that downed tools for the last manager. They are a play-off team and the league position was false, they showed this on Sat. We made some individual errors but PT were much more clinical up front.

There were a few below par performances on our side particularly down the left where both Tremarco & Doran had shockers and Vincent was out of position too often and provided little in the middle of the park.

A wake up call for our team I hope. I fully expect PT to be up there with us & Dundee fighting for the playoff spots.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Alan Simpson said:

It is correct trust me a man with inside knowledge aye Robbo must see something in him I'd give Todorov a start over the big man White missing to many chance for me 

All about opinions Alan but if money was offered then obviously other clubs see something in the bigman too, and not just Robbo. Suppose its his consistency of scoring goals at every club he has been at over past few years that brings the attention.

He has scored 20 goals for us and imo is the best striker at the club atm.

He certainly divides opinion that we can all agree on?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

PT were the epitome of a team that downed tools for the last manager. They are a play-off team and the league position was false, they showed this on Sat. We made some individual errors but PT were much more clinical up front.

There were a few below par performances on our side particularly down the left where both Tremarco & Doran had shockers and Vincent was out of position too often and provided little in the middle of the park.

A wake up call for our team I hope. I fully expect PT to be up there with us & Dundee fighting for the playoff spots.

Absolutely correct , just like yourself I think PT will finish in top 4.

I didn't think White was all that bad on Saturday. He still frustrates me by going down a but too easily for my liking and I feel he should do better with some of the aerial tussles he gets into. He's much better when he is attacking crosses than when he has been played with his back to goal. He finished McGregor's fine cross with a solid header and was unlucky not to get a second later on. If we perhaps got a few more crosses in for the guy to attack rather than lump it up in the general vicinity of the guy he might be a bit more successful.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, RiG said:

If we perhaps got a few more crosses in for the guy to attack rather than lump it up in the general vicinity of the guy he might be a bit more successful.

I agree with you on this and if JR persists on starting with Jordan then we have to give him the service that his game deserves, if that's getting more balls in to the box from wider positions closer to the byline then that's what we should do.

If JR is insistent on playing the same style of football then something will eventually have to give as the two clearly don't compliment each other.

Long balls forward to a target man with his back to the goal suits Todorov, from what I've seen, and whipped crosses to be attacked suits Jordan.

I don't think that was the first cross into the box this season,  it's just that we don't often score from them. 

The forward man has to have enough mobility to get into position to attack the cross  and if its above head height he is then looking at the prospect of jumping to connect with it - two facets that might be more suited to Todorov - or not as we haven't seen that much of him really.

• tm4tj featured this topic
  • tm4tj unfeatured and unpinned this topic