Dave Christie

snorbens_caleyman

527554171_davechristie.jpg.eafdebeec43c55e3306a46ef38347cbc.jpg

I am sorry to read in the Courier of the death, on Friday 20th, at the age of 82, of Dave Christie.

"Former Highland League player, manager, and privileged to captain all three Inverness teams."  There can't be many who have played for, let alone captained, all three.

I didn't know he had been with Clach.  I remember him playing for the Jags in the late 60s.

He was Caley manager for a while in 1973-74, and the picture above, from that time, is from page 75 of Alex Main's "Caley All The Way" book.  Dave is also in the Caley side in a picture (p50) from 1959, when a Celtic-Rangers Select travelled north for a match to inaugurate the Telford Street floodlights.

Alex recorded that the Select was in the charge of now legendary Rangers manager Scot Symon.  What he didn't say, or maybe didn't know, was that Dave's middle names were "Scot Symon".  My late father noticed this when he was Secretary at Thistle and dealt with the players' registrations - his understanding was that Dave was Scot Symon's nephew. Dave was born well before Scot Symon's great managerial career, so I think this was simply a family name.

I didn't really know him, but I do remember him as a good player, and as a good-natured, decent man.

My condolences to Dave's family, and to his friends, of whom there will be many.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
typo
  • Agree 6

My Uncle David was laid to rest today. A great family man and absolute gentleman who was, we believe, the only player to have captained all three Inverness sides. He also managed Caley in the early 70s and Clach in the late eighties. 

Was nice to see Billy Urquhart, Davie Milroy and Roshie Fraser at the service today (apologies to other football folk I may have missed). I know the family will have appreciated their attendance and the great send off he was given by family and friends from near and far.

RIP Uncle David

• Agree 2

YMIP

As you probably know I live overseas now for many years. Genuine condolences on your loss.

I was wondering if the  name you mention , Roshie Fraser, could possibly be the "Stootie" Fraser that I recall as a young lad was the interesting name given to one of the early Caley Players? Or have I got it wrong. That was a long time ago for sure.

15 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

YMIP

As you probably know I live overseas now for many years. Genuine condolences on your loss.

I was wondering if the  name you mention , Roshie Fraser, could possibly be the "Stootie" Fraser that I recall as a young lad was the interesting name given to one of the early Caley Players? Or have I got it wrong. That was a long time ago for sure.

Firstly, Condolences to the family of the late Dave Chritie who I well remember playing for Jags and for Csley. His time at Clach eludes my middle aged memory.

Regarding Scarlet's question. Horatio Cuthbert Fraser who for perhaps understable reasons preferred to be known as 'Roshie' was a Jags stalwart of the 60s and 70s.

48 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

YMIP

Stootie was indeed Roshie's dad, and he passed away in July of this year.

I'm sure it was Dave Christie that played welfare football for Carrbridge in his latter years on the park. 

From what I remember he was an absolute rock of a player and well capable against us younger whippersnappers merely by his reading of the game.

RIP Dave.

tm4tj - he farmed at Balnastraid by Duthil in the 60s/70s so Carrbridge would have been local Welfare side. Also played for the Fluke post Highland League.

I never saw him play apart from family picnics but believe "absolute rock" sounds about right. His uncle Scot Symon wanted him at Rangers in the 50s but he opted to stick to farming and Highland League football. 

Scarlet - Roshie/Stootie chronology as above. Both great players I believe. A wee bit before my time unfortunately. 

13 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Regarding Scarlet's question. Horatio Cuthbert Fraser who for perhaps understable reasons preferred to be known as 'Roshie' was a Jags stalwart of the 60s and 70s.

Roshie and Dave played in the same Jags team at the end of the 60s. 

Roshie also managed Clach for a while, so, with Dave Milroy and Billy Urquhart also at Dave's funeral, that means that all three Inverness clubs were represented.  I would guess that there would have been others there from before ymip's time.

The Courier also carried an article about Dave yesterday - https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/tributes-to-inverness-football-legend-183734/

Thank you, gentlemen! The name "Stootie" really resonates from my past and younger years at Telford Street. Great times.

Peter MacKinnon was  the player who was as close to me as any Caley Player could be. A super, genuine soul and a real gentleman who lived next door to me when we lived in Dunain Road. He married the neighbour's daughter and their family was very close to me in my younger years. He has passed on now but I still think of him and still am in contact with Margaret (Pete's wife) and the Gibson family .

On 10/1/2019 at 10:02 PM, ymip said:

tm4tj - he farmed at Balnastraid by Duthil in the 60s/70s so Carrbridge would have been local Welfare side. Also played for the Fluke post Highland League.

I never saw him play apart from family picnics but believe "absolute rock" sounds about right. His uncle Scot Symon wanted him at Rangers in the 50s but he opted to stick to farming and Highland League football. 

Scarlet - Roshie/Stootie chronology as above. Both great players I believe. A wee bit before my time unfortunately. 

I saw him play once, for Harris FC at Tarbert - can’t remember what the game was, but he was a guest player so must have been a friendly or testimonial. Dave must have been in his fifties then, but stood out in the game. He seemed to have so much time when he got the ball. I vaguely remember chatting to him after the game, and he came across as a really nice guy. 

As others have said, RIP Dave.